Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2019 Indian Chieftain Classic. have had the engine throttle cut by a quarter (I'm guessing it's called "Limp Mode"), this has happened 4 times in the last year. It seems that it always happens in a low gear, maybe 2nd or 3rd, as I'm accelerating (not more than average acceleration). The check engine light comes on, and that code comes on (520305 p1530 throttle body control - requested throttle angle not plausable. Condition exsists). The engine runs really rough, and has very little power. turning the engine off and restarting seems to get rid of the problem and the code (BTW, kind of stupid to delete the error codes, should have a running list of error codes visible). Originally I was worried that this was very dangerous if it happened as I was on the highway trying to pass... however the only times I've seen this is in a low gear on side streets... making it only moderately dangerous. I'd really like this fixed, Or I'm thinking of replacing the bike. The dealer has been ok, trying to help me. they've done firmware updates and a service recall on the throttle (all kind of wild stabs at trying to fix this problem). Thought I'd post on here to see if I could find out if this was a wide, pervasive problem or just me getting stuck with a lemon (maybe try and pressure dealer to replace the bike if possible).

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I had the same code but mine happened on the interstate doing 80. I shut it off and then started it back up and it ran fine. I took it to the dealer and they did a firmware update and I have not had the issue since. Have they done more than one firmware update? Maybe the first one didn't take correctly and it needs reflashed.

The dealer said they didn't do any kind of hardware swap. Sorry I can't help you more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, what I’m trying to get an idea of Is how many people are having a problem with this. What year and model do you have?

And yes I’ve had two firmware updates, And it just happened yesterday again.

·
Rider
658 Posts
Never had this issue on my 2016 Chieftain, but if I had to guess it’s either going to be an issue with the sensing unit from the throttle, or a wiring harness issue. Have you changed the bars or grips by any chance?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
My bike went into limp mode while accelerating rapidly out of a roundabout in second gear. I wasn't up with how to check error codes at that stage but it sounds like the same thing. I spoke with an Indian workshop guy and he said it was because wide open throttle at low revs sometimes seems to confuse the system, which is the basis for the 'not plausible' in the code info. He had a bike that was particularly susceptible to it that he was trying to tune on the dyno and it wasn't playing well.

Vsteel's comment that his happened while doing 80 points away from the low rpm being the only place it happens.

There have been few mentions of it on the forum here and a search might fill you in a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I’ve been riding almost exclusively for about a year in sport mode, and it occurred to me this might have something to do with that so I’m going to ride in normal mode for a while and I’ll report back.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
So, what I’m trying to get an idea of Is how many people are having a problem with this. What year and model do you have?

And yes I’ve had two firmware updates, And it just happened yesterday again.
I have a 2019 Roadmaster.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had this happen a week ago on my 2019. Have an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at along With stage 2 cams installed.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Thanks guys, I’ve been riding almost exclusively for about a year in sport mode, and it occurred to me this might have something to do with that so I’m going to ride in normal mode for a while and I’ll report back.
My entire time riding has been in normal mode. Though I do suppose it is possible that I was in sport mode (bike had about 700 miles on it at the time) and when they reflashed it went back to normal mode.

A little more detail on mine, when I was on the interstate I was going up a hill with the wife on back passing a truck while riding with a group of friends. I could have had it wide open when it happened. I currently have 3K miles on it and have not had it happen since. At the 2500 mile mark the wife and I were outrunning a tornado and baseball sized hail on the interstate so we were moving and I know I had it wide open at a few points on that ride. No issues though.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Had it happen several times with the ‘15 Scout. Was always during a quick twist of the throttle, already in the upper gears (4,5,6).
Seems like the first occurrence was after I did a Dynojet PVCX tune flash.
After it happened again I reflashed back to the original.
Wasn’t long before it happened once again.
Went back to the Dynojet tune, it happened at least another time.

Been a while now but maybe not a year yet since it happened last time.
I still do a hard twist on the throttle occasionally. Makes me wonder if those other times I was making a short quick twist and then a second full twist. Because I know with that consciously in my mind I’ve just been doing one motion.

Curiously it had been a rare occurrence anyhow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great responses guys thank you. Last time I was at the dealer the tech told me that this was something that Indian knew about. Sounds like it’s happening pretty often to a lot of people.

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
2019 Springfield Darkhorse Stage II, 5K miles- Just discovered this on the way to Bike Week. Running 75-85 mph while holding the throttle steady....feels like either a cylinder cuts out, or fuel delivery is reduced (being an old guy, feels like the fuel filter is dirty!). Happened in heavy traffic which is not good. Check engine light goes on. Clears after stopping, and restarting...but happens repeatedly...I have received no error codes other than check engine.

Last night, while taking a ride around town- alone- playing a bit....found that at 4700 rpm's (Standard mode) the engine seems to "plane out" almost like hitting the rev limiter. Went into Sport mode and found it would crank up only to about 5100 RPM's (4th gear). Redline is 5300 rpms so somethings wrong. I'm not a big fan of spinning big Vtwins to redline, but this thing is just not running right. Going into the shop on Thursday (bike is under warranty for another year). I'll let you know how we make out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So as an update, I have been running for a few months in Normal mode, where I had been in sport mode. I haven't had another episode. I have had the firm ware updated too though.

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
I got the reflash done, and it was fine for a few days. It then repeated itself. I brought it into the shop, and they found a loose spark plug!!!!!!!!! (How embarrassing is that for me?!). Since then the bike has been rock solid and runs like a beast.....in all modes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had this happen yesterday on my 20 Roadmaster for the second time. First was at about 1100 miles this time at 2750. Both times were after a short break where the bike was ridden about 30 miles. After starting back up I gave it moderately high throttle turn in 3rd or fourth gear and it went into limp mode. Clears after restart and engine check light clears after 3x cycle of power. Both times the bike was in tour mode so have switched to standard mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys new 2020 Cheiftain Dark Horse 116. Same issue at 600 km. Towed back to dealership. They reflashed the ECU, and told me that the bike is constantly learning, just ride the thing.
So I put another 500 km on it and done the Slip on exhaust and Big air breather, both Indian products. Same problem back again when it is in Sports mode it seems. Loss of power, pull over and runs like a bag of crap. Revving up and down by itself. Back to the dealer and they say the Error codes, 1st being the side stand and 2nd being the throttle sensor, where not cleared. I also noticed alot of heat difference from the back cylinder(HOT) to the front being cool to touch. They still have the bike and are doing more test rides..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is pretty frustrating I imagine for anyone that has had this happen. I have had a couple flash upgrades, and have been running in normal and tour modes only for several months and haven't had it happen again. It would be nice if dealers would be better about telling us what is actually happening.

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
...continuing....so riding the bike like a raped ape it ran great. Hold the throttle steady and the engine was very erratic and eventually would fall back to one cylinder & limp mode..... on a 900 mile trek up north. Stopped at an Indian dealership and they told me that there were over 100 codes- most related to voltage (makes sense since the last 100 or so miles I had to pull over and restart at least 17 times...one time it wouldn't even restart for a few minutes ). They checked all battery connections found one that "....could have been interpreted as loose". Let me know that their SOP on TS 111 engines is now to use Loctite on all battery & ground connections. The one thing they did that I really appreciate is they upload all of the data to Polaris so there was a file that my home dealership could study. Bike was OK for the next day...and then on my 400 mile day going home, the issue came back.
Brought it back to my home dealership....they looked at all the codes (on the bike and the file that was uploaded to Polaris ) and identified the issue as either voltage related or mass air sensor. Checked the battery , connections, etc., and finally changed out the sensor. I have a couple hundred miles on the bike since and so far, so good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts