Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my 5k service done at Mom's of Manchester (NH). GREAT dealer and excellent service department!

The bill is going to be $351. Full check, oil change, etc. A bit steep but totally worth it. I questioned them on the oil change and they told me that it's done every 5k.

While y'all are ruminating on that, here is some eye candy from Mom's.
20190809_090944.jpg
20190809_090955.jpg

20190809_090932.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’ll do my own oil change every season regardless of mileage. I had my 5k service done and skipped the oil change. The dealer actually said I didn’t need one because I was under the 10k suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll do my own oil change every season regardless of mileage. I had my 5k service done and skipped the oil change. The dealer actually said I didn’t need one because I was under the 10k suggested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bikes look awesome! That price is cheaper than the dealers around me, but Indian's own published maintenance table recommends oil be changed initially at 500 miles, then after every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kind of why I brought this thread up.

Conflicting opinions on the 5k oil change. I'm going to err on the side of caution and have it done. I COULD do it myself but then I wouldn't have time to chat with my favorite Indian parts seller, Victoria!

;-)

20190809_091106.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Curious what all are they doing for 351 besides the oil change?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Personally I am glad they lubricated my 'CLEVER'.

I always have a difficult time doing that.

I guess I am not...

[removes sunglasses]

CLEVER enough.

YEEEAAAAWWWW!!!

[cue Rolling Stones song]

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will do mine sooner too. But the intervals as per OEM are 10k miles. No ifs, ands or buts. Not sure why there is any questions. Indian/Polaris has stated this multiple times in many publications. Not going to hurt to do it sooner but yeah the interval is what it is. Of course a dealer service department is going to tell you sooner. Just like the quick lube places put the sticker in your car that say see you in 3mo or 3000.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will do mine sooner too. But the intervals as per OEM are 10k miles. No ifs, ands or buts. Not sure why there is any questions. Indian/Polaris has stated this multiple times in many publications. Not going to hurt to do it sooner but yeah the interval is what it is. Of course a dealer service department is going to tell you sooner. Just like the quick lube places put the sticker in your car that say see you in 3mo or 3000.
I totally understand and agree with you. OEM is quite specific on oil change. However I am sitting on a bit of disposable income for now and to be honest, my bike gets baby'd. Heh. I just made up a word!!!

I try to build a rapport with the people who service my vehicles. It pays off in the long run. I can shade tree mechanic older vehicles but I don't have the tools to do firmware updates, etc. If paying a bit extra on one occasion saves me some cash down the road I consider that well spent.

Call it building up credit in the bank of bad habits.

When I need to make a withdrawal, my credit is good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought my scout bobber there as well. I change my oil, think the change kit was like $75.00 or something. I like Victoria as well, and they're a fantastic dealer. BUT, $381.00 is a lot given the actual task - IMO. I do enjoy interactions at the shop, checking out "what's new" and such tho, so I miss that. :-(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my scout bobber there as well. I change my oil, think the change kit was like $75.00 or something. I like Victoria as well, and they're a fantastic dealer. BUT, $381.00 is a lot given the actual task - IMO. I do enjoy interactions at the shop, checking out "what's new" and such tho, so I miss that. :-(
I'm gonna go over there next weekend to talk to Steve. He's the service manager now. He sold me my Scout two years ago. I want to discuss the frequent oil changes.

I should be there around 10-ish. I'll buy you breakfast at Bunny's if you are there. Saturday August 17. Weather permitting, of course.

Bunny's is an AWESOME greasy spoon!!! My arteries are hardening just thinking about it!!!

Look for this...

20190112_151744.jpg

;-)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just had the 5000 mile service on my Bobber, $214 plus tax. I had considered doing it myself but like the reassurance of them checking everything out...:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some of you reading this thread are going to disagree and will probably have to comment as this as is the nature some members in this forum. Here is my input on this subject header for the 5k mile service. Last week I had my Scout in for the 5K mile service with oil change. It cost me $249 plus some change at my local Indian dealer, no appointment needed, in and out in an hour and a half. Why change the oil before the 10k mile OEM recommendation? Peace of mind, I just do not trust the protective properties of oil going that long regardless of what ever opinion/facts/specs someone tries to push my way. Why allow the dealer to perform the 5k service which is basically visual inspection? I have personally encountered instances on other products where a warranty would not be honored due to specific checks not being performed and documented at the recommended intervals, so for peace of mind in regards to my warranty, I have no problem paying for it.

Keep the rubber side down and shiny side up.

Reactions: Tabernash

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some of you reading this thread are going to disagree and will probably have to comment as this as is the nature some members in this forum. Here is my input on this subject header for the 5k mile service. Last week I had my Scout in for the 5K mile service with oil change. It cost me $249 plus some change at my local Indian dealer, no appointment needed, in and out in an hour and a half. Why change the oil before the 10k mile OEM recommendation? Peace of mind, I just do not trust the protective properties of oil going that long regardless of what ever opinion/facts/specs someone tries to push my way. Why allow the dealer to perform the 5k service which is basically visual inspection? I have personally encountered instances on other products where a warranty would not be honored due to specific checks not being performed and documented at the recommended intervals, so for peace of mind in regards to my warranty, I have no problem paying for it.

Keep the rubber side down and shiny side up.
;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts