Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 500 miles have come and gone now so I though I should do an update to my 24 hour post.

I had a couple of complaints at first, one was the mirrors, all I could really see was my shoulders, well after I actually looked at them I found they adjusted fine, excellent view now, so that one is <a id='FALINK_2_0_1' class='FAtxtL' href='http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41488#'>fixed</a>.
I also complained about the kickstand.
Well again if you actually look before you put your foot out it is very easy to see the end of the stand and no problem hooking it with your heel.

Floorboards :
For us tall guy's these boards are high, but the more miles I put on the less of an issue it is.
I have learned to actually ' lift ' up my foot and found the boards easy to mount. My knees are a bit up but I am not at all uncomfortable, and man can this bike corner, I have never had a bike with this much ground clearance before, getting on the highway from the on ramp is a blast, my last bike would scrape easily but not this one. It has really built up my confidence when leaning into a sharp turn.

Fit and finish :
The ' fit ' is amazing, I really tip my hat to Polaris here, I really can't believe the bike you get for the money you spend. This Vintage is easily a $30,000 motorcycle, I gave her her first bath yesterday and I am still finding more things I never saw before.
On the spark plug wire ends there is an Indian logo, everywhere you look you see ' Indian ' not in a tacky way, a real classy way.
The chrome is so deep and smooth I wouldn't want to even think how much this would cost if you sent the front parts out to a plating company.
I mean everything is heavy, solid, big and bold.
My seat is starting to wrinkle, I showed the Dealer and basically he said if it becomes a complaint he's confident Polaris will address it, that's what warranty is for. It really doesn't bother me that much, we will see as time goes on.

The only real complaint I have is the clear coat.
Seems they are using the same paint process as on the Vics, the clear coat is soft, if you look at it it scratches.
This weekend i'll put a couple of coats of hard shell wax on to protect her.

Power, man this thing hauls ass !
For a bike this big and heavy I am impressed.
I do have the stage one but I really don't know if there is a huge difference between that and stock, the sound change alone was worth the money to me, I will get her dyno'ed soon the see the real world #'s.
As far as engine noise I do hear a lot of valve train noise, not terrible but it is there. This might only be because of the break in oil i'm not positive but I will be changing my oil later today to the 20-40 so i'll see what she sounds like then.

Brakes are nothing short of amazing.
I had some asshole pull out in front of me yesterday and I jumped on the pedal and grabbed a handful of lever and got out of a nasty situation.
I know I would have hit him on my last bike, I actually was bracing for the impact, not a good feeling.

I am getting used to the slow speed handling now, it's still hard to believe this bike weighs 835 lbs, it feels a lot lighter.

I really don't have anything major negative to say, I am really happy that Polaris took this challenge, I am excited to see what the future holds for others, I have found my last motorcycle but I will definitely help sell some to others, and I really can't wait to see the new Scout, if it is anything like my Vintage you might want to put down your deposit today !
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm glad to read such positive comments
Happy riding
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to see you like your new ride so far, I thought tall guys like yourself would have a bit of a problem with seating arrangements on it. I too found it light on test ride, and power was good also. hope to ride with you soon
Regards
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking forwards to hearing how you get on with the Dyno!
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
18875 said:
Looking forwards to hearing how you get on with the Dyno!
I am too.
Looking at another post on the VOG where the HP and Torque numbers were less that the 106 Victory motor kind of threw me for a loop.

I just expected they would surpass the Victory's specs.

Some suggest that the gearing is lower which provides more perceived 'GRUNT' , and so far Polaris won't post the specs on the gear ratios.

 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To bad your didn't tell us what year and model your bike is.

With out a fuel tuner dynoing is a waist of money cause there is nothing to adjust
your probly at mid 80's for horse power
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6736 said:
To bad your didn't tell us what year and model your bike is.

With out a fuel tuner dynoing is a waist of money cause there is nothing to adjust
your probly at mid 80's for horse power
I did in the previous thread, 2014 Chief Vintage.
And the dyno run would only be an information gathering, I do not plan on any upgrades other than the stage one that I have already done.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would also like to report that these bike do ' NOT ' pop, backfire, fart, cut out, stall, hesitate, jerk around, shut off when you roll off the throttle and nothing with the stage one also.

959 klm's and counting
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
6736 said:
not much horse there 76 horse
Look around other forums, the dyno they used always shows low numbers, even on the 106 Vic motor they come up short and I really don't give a crap about HP #'s or I would not buy a V-Twin, I would buy A nice little inline 4.
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suggest Liquid Glass on that paint to protect it. I'm glad to read your review as I'm getting a Chieftain next week. Can't wait! Is there really a big difference with the Stage 1 kit on the new Indians? I was just thinking of leaving mine stock - I think they already sound great.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
14087 said:
I suggest Liquid Glass on that paint to protect it. I'm glad to read your review as I'm getting a Chieftain next week. Can't wait! Is there really a big difference with the Stage 1 kit on the new Indians? I was just thinking of leaving mine stock - I think they already sound great.
I only put 275 klm's on my Vintage before the stage one so I really don't know if there was a big difference.
Problem is during breakin I had to take it easy so I never hammered on her.
Now she's all broke in I can tell you this thing rocks, today I went for a ride and did a bit of experimenting and will say that the pull is awesome and the sound is amazing.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1169 said:
I would also like to report that these bike do ' NOT ' pop, backfire, fart, cut out, stall, hesitate, jerk around, shut off when you roll off the throttle and nothing with the stage one also.

959 klm's and counting
Big Guy that was something I noticed on my test ride and made a comment to all that would listen, why is it they can product this bike with none of the bullshit we have in the Victorys. As you state above this bike does not do any of this. I would assume it is a closed-loop system same as our bike, which is the cause of all our problems we are told. I even did all those things they tell us not to do on the Victory, nothing. Funny it's it.
Regards
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1169 said:
I did in the previous thread, 2014 Chief Vintage.
And the dyno run would only be an information gathering, I do not plan on any upgrades other than the stage one that I have already done.

Disappointing to hear about the paint (clearcoat). What color is your Vintage? Do you have black or the blue?

I think stock exhuast sounds pretty good. Love the shark tips and they should have made them an option slip on accessory instead of forcing you to buy stage 1 to get them.


Can you tell much difference between stock vs. Stage 1?


I rode the Indians and will again as the truck is coming by my way next week. Not that I need to............but will.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife heard the difference between with and without the stage 1 pipes and talked me into getting some for my bike. I was totally pleased with the stock pipes, but the stage 1 w/shark fins are pretty damn sweet + mamma is happy. Win/Win in my book
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2108 said:
Disappointing to hear about the paint (clearcoat). What color is your Vintage? Do you have black or the blue?

I think stock exhuast sounds pretty good. Love the shark tips and they should have made them an option slip on accessory instead of forcing you to buy stage 1 to get them.


Can you tell much difference between stock vs. Stage 1?


I rode the Indians and will again as the truck is coming by my way next week. Not that I need to............but will.
I have the black.
Not sure about the difference in stage one or stock except the sound is great when you get on the throttle.
I even liked the stock exhaust.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2342 said:
Big Guy that was something I noticed on my test ride and made a comment to all that would listen, why is it they can product this bike with none of the bullshit we have in the Victorys. As you state above this bike does not do any of this. I would assume it is a closed-loop system same as our bike, which is the cause of all our problems we are told. I even did all those things they tell us not to do on the Victory, nothing. Funny it's it.
Regards
Yes I was really surprised to not hear the familiar annoying sounds coming from my Kingpin.
I mean by the time I was done with my mods my bike rarely backfired at all but it always shut off when you rolled the throttle off.
This new Indian actually stays running not like my Vic.
Maby Victory will see some new parts next year ?
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Paying attention to all the Indian Feedback .. Maybe one day for me but not today ..
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top