Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Chieftain Saturday. The dealer is an hour and a half away and is the closest one to me. I asked about the 500 mile service and he said it is just an oil change and they check the belt and all bolts for tightness. He stated if the bike was running fine there was really no need to do the service, just change the oil, which I can do at home. Anyone else heard this from the dealer? What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Everything I've seen and read, and I've posted this question on several forums, says that the first and fourth checkup are the important ones. I opted to have the first one done recently, to the tune of $375.00. I will do the oil changes for the next two, and decide about number four later. I understand that they check internal clearences, and hook to computer for analogy. I also have been told that the factory, once hooked to computer for check up, knows max speed in each gear, max RPM in each gear, whether you have overreved or lugged you engine, etc, etc, etc!! Kind of like having an Indian Rep Tattletale on the back seat! I can change my own oil, and tighten my own bolts, but really felt the need for biting the bullet on, at least, the first checkup! New engine, new bike, everything new, kinda scared me! For what it worth....Danny Mac.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm going in tomorrow for the 500 miles service. In future, will do most services myself. How did they get to $375.00? The oil/filter parts retail for $80, leaving $295 for labor. Using a figure of $90 per hour, that's 3.3 hours. The oil change should take about 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Breakdown was $250.00 labor plus anything used! Oil change kit-$85.59 Enzyme fuel treatment-$2.95 Shop supplies-$15.00 Sales Tax-$24.75

GRAND TOTAL=$378.29 Like I stated: I know the business, but opted to do the "correct" thing in case any trouble appears later. You have a choice: You know this service was a ripoff, but anything priced out reasonable, and you wonder if they serviced anything at all! Damned if you do; damned if you don't!

·
Registered
12 Posts
your dealer ripped you off. My dealer will only charge for the oik change kit on the 500 mile service. No labor charge or anything else. With tax it will cost me about $85

·
Founding member
1,147 Posts
My dealer told me the exact same thing Scalped. Did it myself and checked for any metal with a magnet... It was skill level zero easy, and I'm not in anyway a mechanic.

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
500 mile check and install stage 1 pipes was 4.5 hours labor. Had to get the dealer to install the mufflers because of the computer download.They did give me a nice loaner bike so I didn't have to wait.I will be changing my own oil from now on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine came to $190. $63 for oil & filter and 1.2 hours labor ($114). $10 shop supplies & tax. Had them tighten left grip and make adjustment on saddlebag lid. They got me in and out. Will be doing future oil changes and basic service myself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Had to go to Bairs Powersports in North Canton to get my backrest.
So the 250 mile ride put me right at 500 miles, so also had them do the 500 mike service
They looked over the bike, did the oil change, read the computer ( and gave me my factory pin number )
and even installed the new backrest for under 200 bucks.
I highly recommend this dealer, the nicest dealer I have delt with in quite some time, all employees were very helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm at 5000 miles on my 2014 Classic and will be changing the oil myself. I bought the 6 service package but I will do this one. The oil is 20w 40 semi-synthetic.. correct ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
5.5 qts. SAE20W40 [recommended] per service manual. Never had dealer service my bike. If you want to learn mechanics buy a old British bike. What I suggest is buy the service manual. Pricey at $140 but worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not that I'm a follow the rules kind of guy, becasue I'm not. If you look under the speedo gauge cluster, there is a sticker that says your warranty is void if you don't have the dealer do the first service. I took the hook and paid $360.00 for the oil change and 1st service. Figured if push came to shove with a warranty issue I was covered.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No such sticker on mine. Never heard of not able to change your own oil. You got scalped, Read the warranty requirements in owners manual. Dealer knew I was changing when got the kit. 500 mile is oil, belt adjust, lube clutch cable. Done all service on all my new cars. What voids warranty is neglect or modifications.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My dealer told me that the 500 oil change is something I could do myself and I do not need to bring it to him (2 hour ride), Bought the kit and easy do. I always check my bike over and have not yet encountered loose bolts or fittings.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dealer gave me the 500 mile service with the purchase of the bike. He also gave us a red electric Indian for my great grandson. I have 3 dealerships near me (all about 150 miles away). After a little bit of research I picked the best one to give my money to. We all need to do the same to convince the bad dealers to mend their ways.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can do all this myself, BUT....I want the Indian tech to do the oil change to inspect it. And I want him to go thru the bike and make any minor adjustments (belt, etc) and double check torque on bolts.

I will continue to take it in to the dealer to support the dealers while Indian gets off the ground. We all need this brand to survive this time around.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Going for my 500 mi service at Chesapeake Cycle in Annapolis Md . Hope they take it easy on me, will do most oil changes myself as I have with all my bikes ........

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Are your dealers not doing compression tests? A compression test is to be performed on the 500 mile service?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I will not be taking my Vintage in for 500 mile service. I have a Indian Oil Kit and will change it myself as I have on all 36 bikes I have owned. I took my 2010 Electra Glide to the dealer once for service. They forgot to tighten the drain plugs,(all 3). The transmission plug fell out in front of the dealer and all the fluid ran on the road.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts