Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer wants $275.
I look at my manual and what I see is I am getting an oil change for 275 smackeroos.

what have others done?

E0BEA620-58AC-4B2D-A931-5D5649A08349.jpeg

·
Registered
119 Posts
They are supposed to get into your bike and tear it down a little. See how your bike is doing after breaking it in a bit. They check your belt, air filter, bolts, etc. The service costs a bit more because the time it takes to check on everything.

Do you absolutely need it? Probably not. But I’d say it’s smart if you’d like to keep your new bike in top condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
First bike, no garage to work on it, so I paid for the service. Don't remember what it cost, but I think I paid more in NY.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, I paid 350 to the dealer to do an oil change and a “visual” on my chieftain, to me it wasn’t worth it. I did my scouts 500 myself, and checked important fasteners(found a stripped battery bolt), good chance to get to know the bike. Oh yeh, and dealer prep fee? Here’s my scouts odometer, when it was delivered. I don’t mind that it was never test ridden though, I once talked a dealer into selling me a bike in the crate.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds about right. The Scout is my first motorcycle and I was nervous, so I took a service plan that covered all the services up to 20K miles (I won't get my arm twisted into that again.) My 500 mile service was billed to the plan at $395.

·
Bronze member
1,439 Posts
Part of the first Scout service is supposedly check compression on both cylinders as part of that cost. Put some tape or white out on some bolt heads that hold the tank on , or fuel hose clamp. What you wanna bet most shops don’t. I do my own work, so I know it’s done, and done right. Hell , my bike didn’t even get a pre-delivery inspection. I had to do that too. Got Reinbursment for that though. Now if you happen to have an honest ,reputable , dealer -then by all means support them. Usually maint work is done by the newbies or mechanic wannabees at dealers. The good mechanics have plenty of work, and spend their time on the more technical stuff, higher paying ( if on commission ). Even if hourly paid the service manager is going to give the good techs the more technical stuff to fix. BTDT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just coming up on my 500mi check... this thread was depressing but no surprise. I took my car to the dealership to have radiator flushed and new hoses (hoses and clamps I had) replaced and was told over $400 for the service! I’m going to grill the service manager....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts