Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Chief Vintage with just over 400 miles so today I call for 500 mile service and was quoted 270 plus parts to do the service????? Am I missing something here 300 for oil change and inspection? Is there anything special they do? (I had a BMW and after the first 500 they had to hook up to the ecu and lift the rev limiter and also reset the oil change light) I will just do service myself unless it has to be connected to computer for something?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I paid for the first one but I think I'll do the 5000 mile one myself. Its do very soon. Nothing lose so I don't know what they would do different.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chgovision.
Welcome to TheVOG.net from the UK..
I see that you joined just a month ago now.
Sorry to see that you are getting charged that much, perhaps you should ask for the lowdown on what you get at the 500 mile service.

I see that you have put that you ride a Vision, in your profile and that you also rode a BMW. Does your dealer work with Victory (or BMW's) and Indian bikes. If so, how much does he charge for the first service on these?

Dsjr70 will be getting competition from the selection of bikes you have.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer works on victory and also big dog choppers they charge about the same for each bike. Which in my opinion is a rip off. As far as what I get for that price they tell me they look the complete bike over and change the oil.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like HD. They charge around $350. That does include the fluids. Does the $270 include the oil and filter? Usually let the dealer do the first service, then I do the rest.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid $280.00 for a oil change,included the oil,filter & look the bike over Oh yes & a test ride.Not going to happen again.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dealer told me I would get a discount on my 500 mile service since I bought new so it should ONLY be just over $300. I was floored. I think Im going to do it myself. They are a true Vic dealer.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
??? I thought all the maintenance for the first 5 years was included per their promo to the numbered series bike buyers. The local dealer rep also stated this was the case when I stopped in there last week. Are they confused about what the offer actually is?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6898 said:
??? I thought all the maintenance for the first 5 years was included per their promo to the numbered series bike buyers. The local dealer rep also stated this was the case when I stopped in there last week. Are they confused about what the offer actually is?
Can't find anything like that mentioned here: http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/stories/08-22-13-indian-motorcycle-assurance-launch

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will put 500 miles on, do the first service myself. After 5K let the dealer go over the whole bike then resume my own services. Seems 5K is a more appropriate time for a thorough check up. I'm very interested in riders responding to this subject.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
19011 said:
I will put 500 miles on, do the first service myself. After 5K let the dealer go over the whole bike then resume my own services. Seems 5K is a more appropriate time for a thorough check up. I'm very interested in riders responding to this subject.
I am changing my oil today myself, I understand the first service is more of an ' inspection ' than anything else.
Dealer will have his mechanic look over the bike and make sure everything is tight and within spec.
Can you do this yourself ?
Sure, do you know what you are looking for ?
A good mechanic knows what to look for and where to look.
If you follow the ' pre ride inspection ' in your owners manual I don't see an issue doing it yourself, i'm not sure about the affect on the warranty if there is any but ' if ' you do take it to a Dealer and something happens later you will have an avenue of recourse to follow.
Ie : ' wheel bearing goes out due to misalignment when adjusting belt tension '
Dealer will be on the hook for the parts and repair.
If you do it yourself you are on the hook.

I will take mine in only once but i'm ok paying an hour-hour and a half labor for the inspection and adjustments to solve the responsibility issue.

Oil changes will be always done in my garage at home.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dealer only charges for parts (basically the oil change kit) for the 500 mile service. No labor charged. Thats for both Victory and Indian. The inspection and any adjustments are on the house. Walk out of there for about $75

The rest of you are getting screwed in the drive-thru

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought 2 new Victory in the last 2 years. Different dealers, but both thru in the 500 mile service for free when I asked. Both dealers took less than 1 hour to do it. How could any dealer charge more than $75.00 plus oil and filter?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
14423 said:
I bought 2 new Victory in the last 2 years. Different dealers, but both thru in the 500 mile service for free when I asked. Both dealers took less than 1 hour to do it. How could any dealer charge more than $75.00 plus oil and filter?
When I purchased my Vision it had over 1000 miles on it, yet it was sold to me as new because 'it was the personal rider of the stores Sales Manager', the dealer guaranteed me that the first service had been done at 500 miles in their shop and 'that was a promise'. Well when I brought my bike in to have the belt checked the shop manager told me they had no record on the dealership doing any service on my bike at all. I freaked and took it home and did a service myself right away.The dealeship said that there was no record of the service because of the way the manager paid for it, but I think this is bullshit and I will nolonger take my bike to them. There is another dealership north of me that gets my business now.
It is called screw those who feed you, they double bill. When they do things that have an individual minimum shop time of an hour and they really only take 5 or 10 minutes to complete, they stack the time and bill you for them all, even though they do them together. They claim to check your electrical and only look in the direction of the battery on a new bike (if there were no complaints when the bike was brought in), claim to check the injection system and emissions, when all they did was start the bike to circulate the oil. It is modern business practices at their best.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the Indian's 500 mile oil change and inspection is anything like my Visions was, then realize that it took 2 hours to complete.
I stood there and watched a mechanic and his helper completely go over my bike.
Besides the oil/filter change, the belt will need to be readjusted, and all the fasteners/bolts/screws checked for proper torque.
If you look in your owners manual, you'll see what should be done by your dealer at the 500 mile mark.

If your dealer is only changing the oil/filter, FIND ANOTHER DEALERSHIP.

An oil change at my dealership is $70 (a year ago it was $50)

If you're paying more than that, you are part of the problem.
You're reinforcing bad dealer behaviour.

I've watched two different dealerships do an oil change on SCREAM.
All Ohio Motorsports in Ohio will do the procedure for $70.
'SoCal' in California will do the exact same procedure for $134.
I was in the middle of a 7,600 mile trip, so I really didn't have a choice.

If your dealership is screwing you over on an oil change, you can bet he's screwing you over on everything else too.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not an Indian but CCT first 500 miles was around $140.00, in Quebec and my 5000 done at my dealer was $ 224.00, what was done was an oil change and a minor look over, no TQ of anything. I inquired about a miss I am hearing and pointed out some other concerns, so it was put on computer, this was under warranty I would assume. hour labour and parts and don't forget taxes.
Regards

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<span>'An oil change at my dealership is $70 (a year ago it was $50)</span>

<span>If you're paying more than that, you are part of the problem.</span>
<span>You're reinforcing bad dealer behaviour.'
</span>
No we are not part of the problem for paying more than this at all, it's the price you pay for owning a motorcycle, if you are going with Polaris product then you pay what the dealer requires to sell his product. Yes you can go somewhere else if you have somewhere else to go, but like most of use we don't. If I was in the middle of a 7600 mile trip I would of only had 3800 miles on my oil change and not had to worry about it and went somewhere else.
Regards

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$250.00 for my 500 mi service , tough pill to swallow for sure. i'll be doing the rest, thank you very much ! did the same with my last bike and 45,000 mi later had no issues. hoping for the same here.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts