Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just confirm something with you all? I have been looking though all these old maintenance posts and I just wanted to make sure I am not missing something here.

I am about due for my 500 mile service, and after seeing the dealer quote ($430.00) it seemed insane to me, for an oil change, supposedly a compression test and look over. I figure, I can buy a Matco Compression test kit, service manual (for the compression numbers / future needs) and still save money doing it myself.

Am I missing anything? Anything complicated or other special tools needed here?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Alignment. They're going to check that the belt is still tight and you still have factory alignment. Personally, the 500mi service is one I wouldn't do myself. All others, sure. But the manufacturer set up that service knowing what their manufacturing and QC capabilities are, so I'd leave it to them to make sure the bike will last you.

My dealer has been sending me a ton of promotions. Call back and see if they could do something for you. My 500mi service was about $380 AFTER the flyshield and installation, and I paid about $78 otd after promotions.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought an official Indian oil change kit from amazon and did the oil change myself Told the dealer to not charge for that part of the service. They asked what oil I used. After I told them they agreed to not charge me

Saved me a little and they confirmed the oil filter and drain plugs was the correct tightness and the oil level was correct

·
Registered
442 Posts
If they really do a compression test at the 500, that’s probably why it’s so expensive. Just think about what you need to disassemble to get to the front cylinder spark plug. :eek: You have to take the tank off (oh my god, meet your new friend the fuel line “quick disconnect” that won’t come apart :sick: - I HATE IT) break the frame and take that air box out, I’m sweating already just thinking about all that work :LOL:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy never actually confirmed the price included a compression test. I just saw it was required and assumed that must explain the price. I hear you about taking the tank off (swapped out the air box already) that's why I thought Id pay a couple hundred and take it to the dealer, but that price makes me feel like I'm being sold a headlight flush and new fluid. You know what I mean? Thats why I thought id ask if I was missing something.

I'll have to look into the alignment, to see if that's something I could do (or to see if I needed any special tools).

I will definitely keep an eye out for dealer promotions that might get the price down to something that I can swallow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts