Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit 500 miles on the ride home from the dealer where I bought my 2018 Roadmaster.
Now that it is due for service, the closest dealer (that I trust) is 300 miles away.

Would it be a problem to ride the bike 300 more miles to the dealer for service?
500 mile service at 800-ish miles.... or do I need to trailer it?

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
Not a problem at all. Ride it in and have is serviced.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am not disputing the above posts but I will give you my take. I changed the oil at the 500 miles mark in my 111 and the break-in oil is really thin.. The amount of tiny metal fragments from the break-in process was higher than I was expecting; but normal for a big v-twin per the techs... That being said, I was glad that I got that crap out of the engine sooner than later...... Not trying to muddy the water or hijack the post about the break-in process, just sharing what I observed... Your call though.... Congrats on the bike and safe riding......-JR

·
Bronze member
3,795 Posts
Remember that metal particles in a new motor are not running with the oil through the bearings. The metal swarf is just falling into the oil and anything that gets picked up by the pump is filtered out. The dealer will replace the filter as well as the oil. One reason for keeping the throttle under control on a new motor is so you are not stressing bearing surfaces with the initial oil. Ride to the dealer with that in mind, open it up a bit on the ride home.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
when i hit 500 i couldn't get it in until a week or so later ended up at 700. not a big deal. 500 miles is like a guide. But under 500 miles should never happen. HD is at 1000 miles which to me sounds about correct time frame.
Break in period lets loose metal filings get removed. belts get stretched, nut's come a little loose. 800 - 1000 miles should be best time.

·
Rider
1,066 Posts
Nope not a problem I put close to 600 or so including the trip to my dealership. I even called and asked the service manager so Incase it was I could trailer it down. He said it would fine and away I went.

·
Rider
362 Posts
I would honestly do the 500 myself if I were you. It’s an overpriced oil change. Get the manual and go over all inspection points yourself. Learn your bike and save some coin and a trip. Save your receipts and you’re good.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I am not disputing the above posts but I will give you my take. I changed the oil at the 500 miles mark in my 111 and the break-in oil is really thin.. The amount of tiny metal fragments from the break-in process was higher than I was expecting; but normal for a big v-twin per the techs... That being said, I was glad that I got that crap out of the engine sooner than later...... Not trying to muddy the water or hijack the post about the break-in process, just sharing what I observed... Your call though.... Congrats on the bike and safe riding......-JR
When I did the initial oil change on my CDH, it looked absolutely terrible. I did not push the bike much in the first 500 miles either. I was glad to get that debris out of the engine. Subsequent oil changes have not shown up the same contamination. Now, on another 2017 bike I changed at 500 miles and the oil was pretty clean and clear. Go figure... same engine design and same year between the two - drastically different results in the break-in oil. I have no doubt you could go much longer than 500 initial miles and not harm anything, but you might consider changing the oil filter if you have any trepidation about break-in debris. On our diesels, we change the oil filters after first run of 25 hours regardless of oil condition.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I would honestly do the 500 myself if I were you. It’s an overpriced oil change. Get the manual and go over all inspection points yourself. Learn your bike and save some coin and a trip. Save your receipts and you’re good.
What about the compression test? I have no doubt that most everyone here can do an inspection + adjustments, lubrication, and oil+filter change easily.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have the dealer do the first service but, after that I will be doing most service myself.

·
Rider
362 Posts
What about the compression test? I have no doubt that most everyone here can do an inspection + adjustments, lubrication, and oil+filter change easily.
I started tuning with my PVCX immediately following a dealer executed 500mi. check and immediately it was apparent that the headpipe flange nuts were loose, like finger loose! I felt duped at that point. Most expensive oil change ever. Not again! YMMV

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I started tuning with my PVCX immediately following a dealer executed 500mi. check and immediately it was apparent that the headpipe flange nuts were loose, like finger loose! I felt duped at that point. Most expensive oil change ever. Not again! YMMV
Shame on the dealerships who do not take proper care of their service work! That 500 mile service is an important milestone for all kinds of preventative measures... useless if the work is not done (and not done carefully and thoroughly).

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
That said, when was the last time you saw a car with an initial 500 mile service.... (just a thought)
What is the personal risk level of running a car vs. running one of these bikes down the highway at 70mph? In addition, typical car 4 or 6 cylinder engines (water-cooled) are quite different animals from one of these big air-cooled V-twins.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The first 500 is a bit costly but. if something is wrong it gets documented by dealer. The rest of the oil changes yup do it yourself if u can. I paid for first one. but the next 2 the dealer had a $5. special an couldn't do it that cheap myself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That said, when was the last time you saw a car with an initial 500 mile service.... (just a thought)
Auto engines get a initial run in at the factory by being spun on a rack . They dont share the oil with the transmission. Altho our Indian engines are spun in at the factory its the transmission on our bikes that make the metal shavings and chips when under load, not the engines .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts