Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I have owned several new Indians through their initial break-ins. Only one of them showed significant signs of oil contamination. at first oil change. That one definitely was very dark and had a small amount of metallic flake. That never showed up again on subsequent oil changes and never a problem with the bike. Certainly something to watch carefully - just in case. My other bikes showed zero oil contamination, so you have to wonder what exactly was going on in the dirty engine. This is why frequent and timely maintenance attention is a warranty requirement.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
If you were to open that oil filter, you would likely see a lot more particles. It is advisable in your case to take a careful look at filter innards after second oil change in case it continues to shed metal flakes.

·
Bronze member
4,869 Posts
So, did my 500 mile service the other day and this is in the oil.

I should've taken a sample for analysis, I'll definitely be watching it and sampling the next change.

That's pretty typical after the first 500 miles in most engines. That's why the oil is changed so soon. And most of those metal flakes come from the transmission gearbox

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will cut open the filter and document it as well, thanks for the reminder!

The few vehicles I've personally had for the first oil service and the many I changed have never had that much large flake. The worst had been oil that looked like metallic flake paint. Most of them were 4 wheeled, but my 2010 triumph didn't look like that and neither did my 2006 BMW R1200RT.
What's in that picture is probably 2/3 of the total of flakes.
And actually, both containers were unused this time, so I can still get a sample as well as maybe strain the full change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts