Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen in a few threads folks mentioned putting a 500 CCA battery in their bikes, but searching goole for 2016 Indian Chieftain battery brings up nothing but 270 to 310 CCA batteries. Anyone have a source for a 500 CCA battery they can share? I'd like to get as many cranking amps as I can because I live at 6,000 feet above sea level, and a LOT of my starts throughout the year are pretty cold-temp starts. The bike live in my shop, and is on a trickle charger most of the time, but it still cranks slow in cold temps.

·
Read Only
244 Posts
I've seen in a few threads folks mentioned putting a 500 CCA battery in their bikes, but searching goole for 2016 Indian Chieftain battery brings up nothing but 270 to 310 CCA batteries. Anyone have a source for a 500 CCA battery they can share? I'd like to get as many cranking amps as I can because I live at 6,000 feet above sea level, and a LOT of my starts throughout the year are pretty cold-temp starts. The bike live in my shop, and is on a trickle charger most of the time, but it still cranks slow in cold temps.
I have used a Wicked Start battery in the past but found using a good quality 10W-40 synthetic oil gave the same benefit. The starter motor was replaced recently and that made a big difference but the long stroke and big bore is the main culprit for this bike when temperatures fall below 50 degrees. Since you have your bike in a shed you might try what I do,,,,, I use a small contractors electric heater that has a mild fan and place it towards the primary about 16 inches away. The heat also rises to warm the battery and warm the cylinders. If you try this be present the first time to monitor how warm things get and how long it takes to be beneficial. Any questions feel free to ask! When I use this method I do not have to change the 15W-60 Scout oil that I run in my 14 Chieftain.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
I bought there 500 amp battery in spring. My original was on it's last leg. Only $10 more than the 400 amp one. I love it turns over better than ever. Even sitting out in the cold overnight. When I work 12 hour nightshifts. Fast delivery just install and go.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
I bought there 500 amp battery in spring. My original was on it's last leg. Only $10 more than the 400 amp one. I love it turns over better than ever. Even sitting out in the cold overnight. When I work 12 hour nightshifts. Fast delivery just install and go.
So how many years and miles did the OEM make it? Just curious as to when to expect mine to start getting weak.

Reactions: SteveinUT

·
Founding member
950 Posts
The mechanic at the Indian dealership. Told me 2 to 4 years and sometimes less. And said some of the new bikes. In showroom had dead batteries. My worst nightmare. Would be stuck at work. With a dead battery. After a 12 hour shift. :eek:

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
So how many years and miles did the OEM make it? Just curious as to when to expect mine to start getting weak.
I got around 2 years out of my OEM battery. I live in South Florida, where the heat is brutal on batteries. I did not wait until the battery died, I changed it out at my 15,000 mile service. It had shown very slight signs of getting weak.

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
So ,just how many of you guys are using a 500CCA battery?And the big question is,DOES IT DO THE TRICK IN THE COLD WEATHER???????????? Where did ya buy it???And how much????? The reason I ask is because,I too was looking for a 500CCA battery,but couldn't locate one.And as you know,I recently replaced the factory battery with a new one cause it tested bad,but ended up replacing it with another 310 CCA battery.Thank you!! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
1,841 Posts
Also as it’s been stated many times. Don’t leave those with key fobs near your bike. Not sure if it has as much effect as some say or not. As the sensor is always looking for the fob.

Some put cut off switch on their battery.
I don’t have those issues in South Georgia.
I use a tender if I’m not able to ride for a week or so.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
How many CCA for the 2018 RM OEM?
I think 310.

Imo a GOOD AMG battery with CCA in the low 300s is more than sufficient. Just make sure its a good battery. Not something you want to save $30 on......unless you like walking.

·
Founding member
2,171 Posts
Also as it’s been stated many times. Don’t leave those with key fobs near your bike. Not sure if it has as much effect as some say or not. As the sensor is always looking for the fob.
This false fact continues to be passed around, but ...
Sorry, the location of the fob has no impact on battery life (either the fob's or the bike's). Although the bike and fob are always listening, this current draw is extremely small (approx 5 nano-amperes), the communication pings only occur when the bike is powered on (or if the key fob buttons are pushed). When they talk during power-up, there is a short (40 millisecond) pulse which draws ~3-5 mA and the fob returns a similar ping. A second & third handshake occurs when the bike is put in first gear after powerup and a short time afterwards (to verify nobody is driving off without the fob).

There is no communication/transmission between bike and fob when the bike is off (and no reason for it) ... all they are doing is listening, which they do regardless of the location of the fob.

If you want to understand the technical details of how a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system works ... Requirements of Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Systems - Application Note - Maxim

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
Regarding the amount of a batteries CCA's: When we used to build muscle cars [big inch,high compression motors] for street usage,we always had to use a battery with more CCA's in order to get that motor to crank over,especially if said vehicle was gonna be driven during the cold weather months.In other words,a battery with more CCA's does make a difference.

·
Silver member
4,984 Posts

Some put cut off switch on their battery.
I don’t have those issues in South Georgia.
I use a tender if I’m not able to ride for a week or so.
Jayred1's post # 15 is spot on. There is no communication between the FOB and the bike unless you turn the power button on. It is clearly detailed in the owners manual.

This false fact began during the parasitic draw communication error after the Ride Command systems came out. This went on for nearly 1.5 years until Indian figured out the problem and issued the solution. Once it was determined, the issue was corrected by flashing the VCU with the I-18-02 Service Bulletin software correction. It also fixed the sensitivity of the coil pack and the gear position sensor...

·
Bronze member
1,841 Posts
VG on the fob. One point I thought I briefly read something that both of you said about it not being true. But I couldn’t find it therefore I left that caveat in my original post . Thanks and that is good to know once and for all
I’ve never had any issues regardless with my battery so far anyway. But I’ve read many that have

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This false fact continues to be passed around, but ...
Sorry, the location of the fob has no impact on battery life (either the fob's or the bike's). Although the bike and fob are always listening, this current draw is extremely small (approx 5 nano-amperes), the communication pings only occur when the bike is powered on (or if the key fob buttons are pushed). When they talk during power-up, there is a short (40 millisecond) pulse which draws ~3-5 mA and the fob returns a similar ping. A second & third handshake occurs when the bike is put in first gear after powerup and a short time afterwards (to verify nobody is driving off without the fob).

There is no communication/transmission between bike and fob when the bike is off (and no reason for it) ... all they are doing is listening, which they do regardless of the location of the fob.

If you want to understand the technical details of how a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system works ... Requirements of Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Systems - Application Note - Maxim
We are running up a sandy hill, my fob friend. It's even worse on Facebook; they blame the fob for nearly everything.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts