Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 189 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On what planet is this a good business decision? You have the most significant release in motorcycles in probably decades and here the customers sit 5 weeks later with zero Indians on dealer's floors?
I know the math on bikes built, and demos bikes and press bikes, but this is becoming comical. I'm sure there are a couple dealers that have just got their bikes in, or that are getting them in any day now.
I'm not mad, I'm just laughing to myself that a company the size of Polaris could be this bad at running a business....unless someone would like to step up and give me an alternative reason why not having product is a good idea?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10469 said:
They are selling so fast that they can't keep them on the floor.
Knowing you Bob, I'm probably missing my sarcasm sensor today, but how many dealers have even had a bike actually hit the showroom floor? There are only so many people that will buy a bike sight unseen. I'm calling bulls--- on the never ending supply of buyers lining up to place orders with no bike to look at, or sit on, or test ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree and I think part of the problem is the timing of Sturgis. It's obvious they pushed hard to meet the Sturgis debut but if they had been able to release on their own scheduled they would have pushed it back until the dealers had the bikes or released shipment within hours of the announcement.
The same thing is happening with Chevrolet and the Corvette release. Massive amount of press but the cars have still not reached the showrooms.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1522 said:
Knowing you Bob, I'm probably missing my sarcasm sensor today, but how many dealers have even had a bike actually hit the showroom floor? There are only so many people that will buy a bike sight unseen. I'm calling bulls--- on the never ending supply of buyers lining up to place orders with no bike to look at, or sit on, or test ride.
There are only projected to be slightly more than 6,000 Indians produced this year.
I can believe that these will be sold in advance worldwide without being able to actually sit on them at a dealership.
There are <em>only</em> 9,000,000 millionaires in the USA.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/study-finds-9m-millionaires-u-s-article-1.1290334

Dealerships in Australia have received motorcycles for sale.

Polaris was presented with the opportunity to bring the new Indians to Sturgis which was originally an event produced by an Indian club.
They couldn't pass up that massive exposure to their brand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Polaris never announced a hard date that bikes would be on show room floors. As with any re-launch it's going to take some time. The dealers I've spoken with told me they expect to receive about 6-7 bikes 'sometime' in September; and once they get them - it will be up to them if they want to sell them or just keep them on the floor as display/demo models. From what I saw at the demo event, people were signing paper work on new bikes the whole time I was there so I have no doubt that many were also pre-sold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Dealer has already sold about 20 of them sight unseen. That's only one dealer. These bikes are being shipped world wide. It's gonna take some time before they are sitting in dealer showrooms. I saw Indians being built in the factory. Don't worry they are making them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10476 said:
My Dealer has already sold about 20 of them sight unseen. That's only one dealer. These bikes are being shipped world wide. It's gonna take some time before they are sitting in dealer showrooms. I saw Indians being built in the factory. Don't worry they are making them.
They may be shipping worldwide but they still have less than 20 active dealers so even if they shipped 10 bikes to every dealer that's about 1 to 2 week's production.
The same thing happened with the Cross bikes. Lots of press but it wasn't until November / December of that year they hit the dealers and it wasn't until the next summer that they were readily available. They need to do better with Indian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I am well aware that they are making the bikes, but as MJW mentioned, they only have about a dozen or so dealers right now. If I was a dealer I would not be happy. I know for a fact...and anyone's local dealer will readily confirm this to you if you ask them directly: Not having bikes on the showroom floors is costing them sales right now.
The only reason I started this thread is because, while I am slightly interested in a Chieftain, that interest is not being stoked. When I drive by a dealer 5 weeks after a release and their showroom is still completely empty other than an Indian fender sitting in the window I have to wonder how the Indian/Polaris boardroom meetings are going when (and if) this subject is discussed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cake's not ready to pull out of the oven yet. Then it's gotta cool and get some icing on it. Go for a nice long ride on the bike you have now and before you know it the Indian's will be on the warpath.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2610 said:
I agree and I think part of the problem is the timing of Sturgis. It's obvious they pushed hard to meet the Sturgis debut but if they had been able to release on their own scheduled they would have pushed it back until the dealers had the bikes or released shipment within hours of the announcement.
The same thing is happening with Chevrolet and the Corvette release. Massive amount of press but the cars have still not reached the showrooms.....
I agree, and would say that Sturgis is a BIG reason for the lack of bikes after the big announcement. Indian wanted badly to announce at Sturgis, a great decision, and that was a TOUGH date to hit. Sure, they would have loved to have had bikes hitting showrooms the day after the announcement but they weren't able to. They'll catch up soon, bikes will be out on the road, bikes will be on the floor, the re-supply will be working, new dealers will be opening, and Indian Motorcycles will be growing. It all takes time and the accomplishments to date are truly unbelievable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am I missing something? Wasn't it Polaris who stated the bikes would be at the dealerships in late August? I need to agree with Phoenix on this one. I'm wondering if they simply just found a flaw on the new bikes and wanted to correct them before shipping.

Maybe some of the buyers can fill us in. Did your new Indian arrive by the date promised by the dealer when they took your money?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They have said all along that bikes will not be released for sale until mid September. Car magazines, and auto shows were showing the new Vette for a year before the first one hit the floor. Simple marketing 101
Create a desire
Create a tease
Create exclusivity
Bring product to market.
Sounds like they are on number 3, and number 4 is coming soon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2396 said:
They have said all along that bikes will not be released for sale until mid September. Car magazines, and auto shows were showing the new Vette for a year before the first one hit the floor. Simple marketing 101
Create a desire
Create a tease
Create exclusivity
Bring product to market.
Sounds like they are on number 3, and number 4 is coming soon
I agree and my post didn't add that this is SOP for car companies. Interesting that we don't have the same expectation of motorcycle makers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think that unveiling in early August with product in showrooms the following month is so bad. It gives time for the buzz to build up and for inventory to be built. It seems that the Indian dealers are all taking pre-orders in addition to what they plan to have on show room floor (how long they sit on the floor is another issue). I think I was #8 on the pre orders, but my dealer is still getting an additional set of bikes for the showroom.
I'd rather this whole reboot of the Indian brand be deliberate and methodical rather than cutting corners and quality.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As a guy who is responsible for new product launches, this is not the way to do it. The exclusivity portion of the process can blow up on you if you are not careful. It can send a message that the product is not yet ready for prime time, or there are quality problems.
My experience is in the industrial supply area, not retail. The thoughts are the same though. You get about 6 weeks from the time you launch to the point where folks will either lose interest, or draw their own conclusions about why it is not available. I launched a product on August 12 and manufacturing is having a hell of a time making my initial stock. I am loosing business right now because I can't sell from an empty wagon.
Polaris is in the same boat. A previous poster said that maybe there was a quality problem that delayed shipment. I doubt that is true, but it puts a thought in your head that maybe these initial releases are going to have gremlins. Polaris is going to have to build from scratch (pretty much) the network to sell and sservice these bikes. The current Indian dealers can't wait too long to have inventory, or folks will quit stopping by. Hopefully the new Indians are finding their way to showrooms in the very near future.
We are in an instant gratification world. If you are not ready, they will find another supplier.
Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think there will be many of them sitting on a showroom floor. I called an Indian dealership in Charlotte NC towards the end of June, and the
guy I spoke with said that had received 25 deposits already for the new Indians sight unseen. Now that the bike has been officially released, I am sure the demand has grown tremendously. The number of bikes will likely be in short supply due to both consumer demand and intentionally by
Polaris. The last thing they would want is a bunch of bikes sitting on the showroom floor. Exclusivity is a stong sales tool. Human nature is to want that which they perceive they cannot have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
at the demo days I was at this last weekend I was told 30-45 days out on orders.
Initial demand will be high then it'll likely taper off. I haven't been to the plant so I don't know what they're capable of production wise. They are however hopefully being smart by working on quality over quantity.
I have seen a Chieftan on the road during the HD 110th. I was shocked and even checked it for dealer plates. Nope it was privately registered.
So some people have them and this website and many others are only small samplings of what the real world is.

Since it's September and it'll be likely be cold and/or snowing here in 2 months I'm not too worried about getting one right now anyhow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, everyone here would be totaly cool with putting down a couple hundred grand to buy into the dealership network, take 15-30 pre-orders (of which a percentage will withdraw), then sit around and watch as you lose a dozen or so future orders because the 'next wave' of potential customers walk back out the door when they don't find any inventory on the showroom floor?
Again, go ask your dealers if they are losing orders right now? Getting the first 30 were easy, all they had to do was unlock the front door or pick up the phone....but I'm guessing DEALERS are in the business of looking for the next 30 orders....and when they turn around and walk out the door, do you think they get a real warm and fuzzy feeling?
As for those who think this is a personal thing where I 'just gotta have one', trust me, my brain isn't wired that way....and as for Marketing 101, the FIRST Cardinal rule is that you cannot sell from an empty basket.
5 buying decisions
1-Problem/desire recognition: Do I need this or do I want this? This is either Emotional or logical (in this case it is 100% emotional). No one actually 'needs' an Indian motorcycle.
2-Information search: Seeking validation in research (hmmmm, maybe having the product to sit on? Ride? touch?)
3-Evaluation of alternatives: (hmmm, Harley has that cool new 2014 with all those gadgets)....or....(Hmmm, did I really NEED that bike payment?)
4-Purchase decision: Time to think on an emotional purchase like a motorcycle creates lower closure rate. Why do you think dealers always want to close a deal before a buyer walks off the lot?
5-Post-purchase behavior: This one really isn't even in the equation yet.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts