Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,567 Posts
Polaris stock is UP 5% today in trading. Steve Wine the CEO gave his thoughts and outlook on a live interview on CNBC. He is attributing strong sales and demand in no small part to the roll out of the NEW Indian products AND the introduction of the NEW Slingshot which they just rolled out last week. They are a diverse company, unlike the folks at HD; who have a demographic and archaic product problem. That's the difference between culture, history, creativity, solid engineering, listening to your customers and delivering. HD has some really "rough riding" ahead. Going to get interesting.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Polaris stock is UP 5% today in trading. Steve Wine the CEO gave his thoughts and outlook on a live interview on CNBC. He is attributing strong sales and demand in no small part to the roll out of the NEW Indian products AND the introduction of the NEW Slingshot which they just rolled out last week. They are a diverse company, unlike the folks at HD; who have a demographic and archaic product problem. That's the difference between culture, history, creativity, solid engineering, listening to your customers and delivering. HD has some really "rough riding" ahead. Going to get interesting.

·
Bronze member
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and the CEO of HD is banking on 2020 bailing them out... which means the Bronx and the ADV bike... can't see it... don't see those two models alone pulling them into the positive... HD did make money but they are continuing their downward trend on market share... of course he is blaming Trump and the tariffs on China...

·
Bronze member
4,304 Posts
Pretty surprising on the good results considering the 3rd quarter earnings which were down quite a bit. But he huge discounts on the 111/116 bikes surely helped move the sales needle as well as the Challenger sales.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Glad they are hanging on, the products like the new Challenger are looking good. That said, HD is in little to zero danger from Indian, and I would be surprised if that ever changes frankly. When Polaris sells a fraction of the number of bikes as they do, it is relatively easy to see small gains in market share, and when you're as big as Harley it is conversely easy to see drops just the same. Both companies are in danger of a shrinking rider base, many in the younger generations these days don't even want to get a driver's license and a car, let alone a motorcycle.

HD has broken through the cultural boundary with decades of marketing and pop culture, I know many people who don't even ride that have Harley mugs/tshirts/hoodies/etc. I'd bet money most or all of them couldn't even tell me what an Indian is. I suspect this will help HD in the long run as potential buyers continue to thin out. HD's plan of putting clothing/lifestyle/accessory stores in high traffic areas like malls and whatnot is actually a very good idea in my opinion for this very reason. When sales are sparse, the more visible you are, the better.

As we saw with Victory, the better product from a technical perspective isn't usually what wins. It is more about visibility, perception, brand recognition, and marketing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As Mudflap is saying, just walk into an HD dealership, notice how much floor space is devoted to motorcycles and how much is devoted to clothes and accessories. I still like both machines and own both. But unless they can both appeal to younger generations their client base will continue to shrink. Since Polaris is a more diverse company, their sustainability is greater than HD. BUT Mother Harley is a survivor, count on them to find a product that will appeal to Gen X and Millennials.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As Mudflap is saying, just walk into an HD dealership, notice how much floor space is devoted to motorcycles and how much is devoted to clothes and accessories. I still like both machines and own both. But unless they can both appeal to younger generations their client base will continue to shrink. Since Polaris is a more diverse company, their sustainability is greater than HD. BUT Mother Harley is a survivor, count on them to find a product that will appeal to Gen X and Millennials.
Yeah exactly. I own and like both as well, but Harley has the dealership and buying experience perfected compared to Indian. When I recently looked at the Challenger/Chieftain, then ended up going across town and buying a Street Glide instead, part of that was the appeal of the bikes for my preferences, but also the buying experience and availability of accessories. I don't like walking past a field of ATVs, dirt bikes, and crotch rockets to get to the "Indian" area. It doesn't feel like a premium experience whatsoever when I'm about to spend $25-30k on a bike, yet, they claim to be a premium brand and want a premium price. The Harley dealers around here are big and beautiful and well-stocked. I've bought 4 Victory bikes and 1 Indian, so I am not beyond pulling the trigger, but this to me could well be a key factor moving forward as riders become fewer and farther between, and HD is far ahead of Polaris in this area. I also got a much better deal on the HD than Indian was offering, which is another thing Polaris had best keep an eye on.

·
Bronze member
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how long do you think that multiple dealers in a certain area will last as the sales fall out?... I'm not bashing HD it's simple economics... much like Ford, Chevy and Dodge went through after 08... a lot of dealers were culled... at least in Ford's case they were paid out for the franchise fee... but that didn't help the poor guys that just built a new building demanded by Ford just a couple of years before.. me I don't really care for the "premium" experience.... I research what I want and go buy it... I bought my 09 Equinox in the same dealership that has Cadillac.. as far as HD finding a product that will appeal to Gen X and Millennials it's the Bronx and ADV bike... plus electric bicycles... hope it helps keep the shareholders happy because in the end that's all that matters to HD or Polaris...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't know about other areas, but around here every time I visit any local Harley dealer there are multiple customers walking around checking out bikes and buying t-shirts. I hear them ringing "the bell" pretty frequently to signify a new sale, and lets face it, I'm not in the dealers THAT often. Maybe once a month. This is more than I can say for the 2 Indian dealers, typically those are empty by comparison. I always go on Saturdays. Gen X isn't the audience they have to worry about, those are folks with birth years between 1965 and 1980, so 40-55 years old. It is the last few generations I think, that are not buying bikes very often. Us 40-somethings still think they are cool, lol.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I'm a long-time HD owner (40 plus years) that moved to Indian (May, 2019) for the very reasons Mr. Wine noted in his interview. While Indian may not rival the MoCo in the near future, sales are up, profit is up and all of it going in the right direction. Harley? Still strong but moving the wrong way...

But I thought that the Livewire was going to be their saving grace? lol
No DAT'S PHUNY rat dare...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts