Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
47 CHIEF Wont start

Hi guys my 47 chief wont start carby is clean I have spark valves adj plenty of compression if we squrt fuel in the carby it will start and then stop what to do next ???

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it runs only when spraying gas in carb. It's carb needs to be cleaned out. The main jet is plugged. Not familiar with old Indian. But done lots of British Amal's. And Shovelheads and more cars than can remember. Try to locate rebuild kit. Junk ethanol gas turns to glue over time trashes carbs. A motor needs fuel spark and compression to run. Have to rebuild my AMF Grandpa-Glide carb every spring.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
It's getting near impossible to find pure petroleum gasoline these days. The heavily subsidized farm/ethanol industries, a huge taxpayer rip-off that also raises the price of our groceries has to be stopped but that's a whole huge can of worms that needs to be discussed on a different forum. Yes indeed ethanol laced gasolines are bad news for our mototrcycles, no matter if new or vintage models.
Like I said, Corn is FOOD not FUEL. Wont go deep into it right now but I have some tree huggers around me that think they grow a special type for fuel use only. They are correct, but then less edible corn is grown because farmable land is not infinite thereby raising food prices nearly across the board. Hopefully the ethanol mandate will be rid of with the new administration.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi guys my 47 chief wont start carby is clean I have spark valves adj plenty of compression if we squrt fuel in the carby it will start and then stop what to do next ???
You need to just hand bike over to me and Let me ride it for you. Will send pictures and post cards telling you how bike is riding. Old vintage requires backyard mechanics with strong ankles to ride them, not a push the button and go. Let me know when I can come and get the bike:0):D

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Old post.. but relevance has been introduced.. if you are going to burn ethanol fuel, it is not bad for your engine... at all... it WAS bad for them when the polymers in used in the fuel system and engine were not designed to to run with ethanol..
Now, if your going to store it with ethanol and no moisture guard, then it will be bad for your engine.. burning it, in an e10 fuel, is no worse then adding Heat or another Ethyl based additive.. which BTW, many if not MOST fuel additives, cleaners yada yada are such.. it's not the ethanol that's bad.. it's is properties when NOT burning that is bad..
That said,, I hate it.. it's not as efficient. And it's stupid from the sense of using it in place of growing food, and EXPORTING food generating revenue, instead of the growing fuel, and importing food we are doing, for what? An inefficient fuel .... it's stupid...

·
Registered
936 Posts
if you are going to burn ethanol fuel, it is not bad for your engine... at all...
I disagree about your evaluation of ethanol. What I want to do is make a simple thought process for you and others. Remember when being a kid how to get even with others we were told to put sugar down the tank, (I did moth balls but that is a whole different subject with some real deep consequences of destroying another vehicle), well Corn which is sugar/starch has the same concept. Sure you boil it down and come up with high octane but its properties are still the sugars which are not good for engines. Read up on this, Pros and Cons of Ethanol in Gas. I do use ethanol since racing fuel here is double what ethanol goes for at the pumps. Anyway you look at it, fossil fuel has oil by products which help reduce the friction created by the explosive rpm.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I disagree about your evaluation of ethanol. What I want to do is make a simple thought process for you and others. Remember when being a kid how to get even with others we were told to put sugar down the tank, (I did moth balls but that is a whole different subject with some real deep consequences of destroying another vehicle), well Corn which is sugar/starch has the same concept. Sure you boil it down and come up with high octane but its properties are still the sugars which are not good for engines. Read up on this, Pros and Cons of Ethanol in Gas. I do use ethanol since racing fuel here is double what ethanol goes for at the pumps. Anyway you look at it, fossil fuel has oil by products which help reduce the friction created by the explosive rpm.
Yeast turns the sugars into alcohol. The sugar is mostly consumed in the fermentation process and only alcohol is distilled from the mash. The distillation process only brings along the alcohol, the sugar doesn't boil out of the mash. In the same way, distillation boils off the alcohol without boiling off the water, so you get pure alcohol with a few added substances (not water or sugar) that can be separated to yield pure alcohol. This is the same process that brings us whiskey (water is added back to the ethanol and the mixture is allowed to age in oak barrels). The sweet taste of whiskey comes not from the sugars in the corn used to make it but the sugars leached out of the oak barrels in which it is stored. Ethanol is more like Everclear or the notorious PGA (Pure grain alcohol) we used to spike the punch in college.

That being said, ethanol does attract and hold water over time. I read about five years back, 2012 or so, that for the first time in history more US corn was used to make fuel than food. There is no really good reason why gasoline can't be pure gasoline--we have plenty of oil in the US. I live on top of a very large amount of it in the Eagle Ford Shale. The best gas used to be 100% gasoline with lead additives, but we all know what lead was doing to the environment and people so we stopped using that.

·
Founding member
1,505 Posts
The guys had 3 years now to get his bike started. He probably got it going. Or else he died from over stomping the foot pedal.

Who knows. It's amazing how many people ask for help then never return. Makes you want to put corn flakes in their bed.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
The guys had 3 years now to get his bike started. He probably got it going. Or else he died from over stomping the foot pedal.

Who knows. It's amazing how many people ask for help then never return. Makes you want to put corn flakes in their bed.
My first entry into the forum was to try to find some info. I just found such a congenial environment I kept coming back. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts