Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Founding member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost the chrome handlebar end cap from my Chieftain.

Rode down to the dealer and was told they just had sold the last one but should have more tomorrow.

I told the parts guy i would be back. On the way out I asked how much the part was. I figured $$5 or 10 at the most.

When he said $40 I told him I didn't think I would be buying that!

When i got home I checked online,$40.19 plus shipping.

Any body elese replace the plastic "chrome" end caps?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
No but I’m trying to get the small plastic side cover for a chief dark horse and it’s 400 dollars. I feel your pain.

Rode down to the dealer and was told they just had sold the last one but should have more tomorrow.

I told the parts guy i would be back. On the way out I asked how much the part was. I figured $$5 or 10 at the most.

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Bronze member
2,101 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Indian parts price gouging. Few years ago I was helping a bud replace some parts after his RM slid out from under him on a sandy turn. To say the prices were obscene would be and understatement and that was from cheapcycleparts.. One part in particular was a 12" piece of chrome plated plastic that went on the lower part of the bag. $35 or so IIRC. Went online and found the exact same thing in 25 ft. rolls for $12. Bought it. cut a piece, done. Think his engine guard was $500+. Outrageous.
Check around and see if you can find the part from a wrecked bike.

·
Bronze member
1,893 Posts
My first shocking experience was exhaust gaskets, around 50 for two. I think part of the problem is lack of completion from the aftermarket. HD has plenty of competition in aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
My first shocking experience was exhaust gaskets, around 50 for two. I think part of the problem is lack of completion from the aftermarket. HD has plenty of competition in aftermarket.
HD has had many years for the aftermarket to develop, Indian not so much. Japanese are just as bad, and Chinese bikes vanish with no replacement parts....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wait until the little cover behind the passing lights falls out, $125. Just happened to my wife. Bounced off my leg while in traffic two up on her bike to pick up mine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just hope you never have to replace the plastic side covers on each side of your seat. They are $400 a pop. Yep, two small sheets of plastic sets ya back 800 smackers.

Don't let them blow away. :oops:

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There was a time when all the grips had the Chrome ends. The DH bikes went all black and I think other bikes lost the chrome ends. So people went to buy the end caps for their black grips and try to get them fitted. I remember then the price shocked everyone.

I imagine Indian will tell you that the covers cost that much because they are sold already painted with matching original paint.

·
Rider
640 Posts

Google SUN COAST CYCLE SPORTS used and salvage Indian parts 50-60% savings w/free shipping!

·
Registered
51 Posts
A few years ago, I changed the taillights on my HD FLHTCU over to the look of the Street Glide. I ordered all the stuff from HD. One little part was backordered. It was a small screw that was 4mm really fine thread to hold the license plate lens in. They called me about two weeks later and said my part was in. I went down there and this guy came and handed me this little screw and the bill. $15.60 for a stainless steel machine screw. Say what you want, every manufacturer gouges us at the parts counter. If you built a bike out of the parts book it would cost a half a million bucks. I always enjoy the Chevy guy when I flinch at the price of a part. His response is always, Well, it is a Corvette....... LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts