Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who had 3M film or similar applied to their RM, was the tech able to apply it without any seams. If you do have seams are they noticable? I'm looking at having a film applied to the front of my RM but was told there will be seams as there is no pre cut kit available

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have XPEL applied since nearly day one. No there are not any precuts, my installer did my entire front fairing in a single piece after making a custom templet. It has no seams and looks awesome. I went half up on front fender so yes you know theres a seam where it stops, I did the rock side and tops of the shoe boxes in a single piece but since its matched with the body lines it doesnt stand out. Cant see it on any of the head/fog lights. Cant see it wherein did the tail end of the tank on both sides where stuff hits. Cant really notice the front of the saddle bags. I would highly suggest to look at Xpel vs 3m, its thicker more durable and self healing. Highly recommend and would do again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Also there is a company that I have seen that does have some precut do it yourself stuff but from what I heard it's pretty thin and the install learning curve can be steep, would have to go back and look but think I paid $400 or so to have everything I listed done and if you happen to be in the tucson area, I can point you in the direction of that template! Lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
1st pick you cant really see anything on the fairing, second picture you can see on front fender where I stopped the film and on the shoe boxes you can see how it follows the body lines. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
For those of you who had 3M film or similar applied to their RM, was the tech able to apply it without any seams. If you do have seams are they noticable? I'm looking at having a film applied to the front of my RM but was told there will be seams as there is no pre cut kit available
Over the years, I've used 2 installers and they had access to pre-cut films. Depending on the way the light hits the film, you might see the edges. If you use wax on the non-film area, the wax tends to build up at the border of the film. Not hard to remove but it is an extra step.

·
KHAOS
2019 Pearl White & Star Silver Roadmaster
535 Posts
I have XPEL applied since nearly day one. No there are not any precuts, my installer did my entire front fairing in a single piece after making a custom templet. It has no seams and looks awesome. I went half up on front fender so yes you know theres a seam where it stops, I did the rock side and tops of the shoe boxes in a single piece but since its matched with the body lines it doesnt stand out. Cant see it on any of the head/fog lights. Cant see it wherein did the tail end of the tank on both sides where stuff hits. Cant really notice the front of the saddle bags. I would highly suggest to look at Xpel vs 3m, its thicker more durable and self healing. Highly recommend and would do again.
Question: have you noticed any yellowing? I've seen some on cars and motorcycles that when exposed to the sun for a time they start to yellow.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Agree good film wont yellow that's why I pay the bigger bucks for the Xpel matter fact did the majority of wives car just last week and its white so ask me again in 4 years for an update. Seen nothing on the bike after a year

1 - 13 of 13 Posts