Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a road trip coming up this week. Starting from western ND and doing the Lake Superior loop, just got a performance upgrade last week and have two tanks worth of riding on it. Should be a solid trip, does anyone have any suggestions for stops along the way? Grew up in Yooper land so I’m pretty familiar with the south shore of superior.
Any issues with stage two to be aware of with a long trip like this?

Here’s the upgrade:
D&D’s 2-1 full exhaust w/dummy pipe

Lloyd’s air cleaner

Lloyd’s 558 cams

Dynojet PV3 tuner

And the bike:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,034 Posts
First of all do you have stage 2 or the Lloyds 558s. No issues at all for the Indian stage 2 cams but there have been valve spring and valve seat issues related to using the Lloyds cams. Either the 558 or the 585s. If you have the upgraded springs or the bike is a 2019 this will not be an issue. It has been hit or miss whether or not the seats or the springs will cause problems with the Lloyds cams. Second, wash your bike! I would never take pics of mine that dirty. Dean

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all do you have stage 2 or the Lloyds 558s. No issues at all for the Indian stage 2 cams but there have been valve spring and valve seat issues related to using the Lloyds cams. Either the 558 or the 585s. If you have the upgraded springs or the bike is a 2019 this will not be an issue. It has been hit or miss whether or not the seats or the springs will cause problems with the Lloyds cams. Second, wash your bike! I would never take pics of mine that dirty. Dean
Lol My apologies I hit some rain on the way home tonight and just took the pics. And in western ND I’d be washing every night! Not afraid to show I ride rain or shine.
I have the Lloyd’s 558 cams and it’s an ‘18.

·
Rider
1,031 Posts
Places I have stopped and would stop again. Make sure you take the scenic route when heading from Duluth to Thunder Bay. Lunch at Lutson Resort. Stop for a walk around in Grand Marais, Split Rock Light house. Kakabeka falls when up to Thunder Bay. When entering back into Michigan....head down to the "tunnel of trees".....up to Paradise and visit the Edmond Fitzgerald Museum and Light house. Take the 1.5 hour boat cruise for the Pictured Rocks. Up to Copper Harbour.

Make sure you get the map for "ride lake superior"

You didn't say if you were camping or motels.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Places I have stopped and would stop again. Make sure you take the scenic route when heading from Duluth to Thunder Bay. Lunch at Lutson Resort. Stop for a walk around in Grand Marais, Split Rock Light house. Kakabeka falls when up to Thunder Bay. When entering back into Michigan....head down to the "tunnel of trees".....up to Paradise and visit the Edmond Fitzgerald Museum and Light house. Take the 1.5 hour boat cruise for the Pictured Rocks. Up to Copper Harbour.

Make sure you get the map for "ride lake superior"

You didn't say if you were camping or motels.

--
Gordon
Thanks! I’m gonna say Motels more than likely.

·
Rider
827 Posts
Enjoy your trip, ride safe! Spent 23 yrs in Saint Paul, all the above suggestions are spot on.

How far West in ND? I'm in Eastern Montana....Miles City

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
sounds like an awesome adventure.my only tip is depending on amt of miles per day. put the wallet in saddle bag. exchange the tightie whities for loose fit. with NO elastic . after the 2nd gas fill up walk around for about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Enjoy your trip, ride safe! Spent 23 yrs in Saint Paul, all the above suggestions are spot on.

How far West in ND? I'm in Eastern Montana....Miles City

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
Out of watford city

·
Rider
1,031 Posts
sounds like an awesome adventure.my only tip is depending on amt of miles per day. put the wallet in saddle bag. exchange the tightie whities for loose fit. with NO elastic . after the 2nd gas fill up walk around for about 10 minutes.
I stop every 1.5 - 2 hours. Short walk around and a few slurps of water. There is lots of gas stations around the north Superior but always fill up when getting below 1/2 tank. Don't wait till the light comes on as there might not be gas for awhile.

--
Gordon

·
Bronze Member
1,557 Posts
In Superior, WI stop in at Vintage Italian Pizza. Awesome food! The place has been there since the 1950's.

Canal park in Duluth is a nice place to walk around and stretch your legs. Usually busier than heck on nice days.

The little outdoor mining museum by the lake at Wawa, Ontario is interesting if you like reading about the history of the area.

In Ontario some of those gas stations are few and far between. We filled when we left Thunder Bay. Then at Nipigon, Marathon, Wawa and Saulte Sainte Marie.

If you're a Yooper, you may have ridden the Hwy. 41 & 26 loop up through Copper Harbor/Eagle Harbor. There is a cool little overlook above Eagle Harbor that's a great view.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the tips! Unfortunately it was rainy and foggy for 3/4 of the trip, so we didn’t stop very much, wouldn’t have made a difference. Wasn’t very impressed with the ride through Canada tbh...not enough shoreline riding even if it was sunny and clear. Still a good time riding with a group of great ppl!

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
Times that by two enjoy your trip be safe and can't offer any tips as Australians are tight arses and we don't usually tip lol.:cool::p:D:eek::rolleyes:
Man
How far apart is the time difference?
I thought we were all with in 24 hours of each other. Not weeks

I think he’s already back!

Just messing with you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts