Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,054 Posts
Awesome work. I really haven't seen any scale models or die cast replicas of modern Polaris Indians for sale anywhere yet.

·
Rider
946 Posts
How did you get the model into a format to print? Do you have a 3D scanner?

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
Incredible, that came out amazing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome work. I really haven't seen any scale models or die cast replicas of modern Polaris Indians for sale anywhere yet.
I looked and couldn't find any either, and my girlfriend (credit where it's due :)) came up with the idea to try to have one printed

How did you get the model into a format to print? Do you have a 3D scanner?
I didn't do this part (or the actual 3D printing) myself. I commissioned someone with the skills to create 3D printable computer models. I sent him about 25 pictures of my bike and over the course of a month or so he created an incredibly detailed model, composed of 42 individual 3D printable parts.

I then sent all the files to someone with a 3D printing business (who came with very high recommendations) and she was able to print even the smallest, most fragile and difficult parts absolutely perfectly.

Once the parts were shipped to me I touched up, primed, and painted each one. I used a flat black for most of the bike, and a chrome marker for the chrome details. I had small transparent stickers printed for the few details that were way too small for me to paint (the various Indian logos on the tank and engine, the speedometer, ignition button) then I had to super glue it all together

Make some kits! I would buy one!!! Looks like 1:6 scale or very close. Please make a kit for me!!!
Haha close! The model is 9 inches long, I think the stock Dark Horse is 103 inches which would be a 1:11.5 scale? I hadn't thought about making kits, the parts do take a little bit of work to paint up and assemble. It would be easy enough to have the computer modeler create the few additional parts for stock and even individual bikes though, and the 3D printer business would welcome the business I'm sure. So if someone wants to then I'm sure we can figure it out

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
I looked and couldn't find any either, and my girlfriend (credit where it's due :)) came up with the idea to try to have one printed

I didn't do this part (or the actual 3D printing) myself. I commissioned someone with the skills to create 3D printable computer models. I sent him about 25 pictures of my bike and over the course of a month or so he created an incredibly detailed model, composed of 42 individual 3D printable parts.

I then sent all the files to someone with a 3D printing business (who came with very high recommendations) and she was able to print even the smallest, most fragile and difficult parts absolutely perfectly.

Once the parts were shipped to me I touched up, primed, and painted each one. I used a flat black for most of the bike, and a chrome marker for the chrome details. I had small transparent stickers printed for the few details that were way too small for me to paint (the various Indian logos on the tank and engine, the speedometer, ignition button) then I had to super glue it all together

Haha close! The model is 9 inches long, I think the stock Dark Horse is 103 inches which would be a 1:11.5 scale? I hadn't thought about making kits, the parts do take a little bit of work to paint up and assemble. It would be easy enough to have the computer modeler create the few additional parts for stock and even individual bikes though, and the 3D printer business would welcome the business I'm sure. So if someone wants to then I'm sure we can figure it out
Find out how much they would charge for 5 or 10 kits. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants one. Everyone chime in here!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Disclaimer, I scan read and didn't comprehend what the tile said, yet I opened the thread anyway. With that being said, I thought big deal someone put a model together, then I saw how closely it matched your bike, at that point i realized what was really going on here. I bow down to you sir! Excellent job!!!! That is amazing and now one of the coolest things i've seen.

·
German rider
797 Posts

As a kid I liked to put Tamia and Revell Tanks and Planes together.
I still have an untouched U-Boot VII C in the cellar.

Would like to get this Data, what a 3-D-Printer-Nerd will need to feed his computer.
The print data.
May be you should calculate the price... it is just some bits.
Non commercial use.

·
Bronze member
1,889 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
As a kid I liked to put Tamia and Revell Tanks and Planes together.
I still have an untouched U-Boot VII C in the cellar.

Would like to get this Data, what a 3-D-Printer-Nerd will need to feed his computer.
The print data.
May be you should calculate the price... it is just some bits.
Non commercial use.
I have an untouched 1:6 scale 1938 Indian 4 cylinder kit. Debating weather or not to put it together. I have quite a few diecast 1:6 scale Indian Motorcycles. I'd love one of these 3d Dark Horse printed kits!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
That looks awesome, kudos!
It looks like you have the passenger floorboards on the wrong sides. The RH board on the LH side and the LH board on the RH side. Or maybe they were just printed backward?

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
Don't have the 3D printer, but you can buy the files here...
Or

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That looks awesome, kudos!
It looks like you have the passenger floorboards on the wrong sides. The RH board on the LH side and the LH board on the RH side. Or maybe they were just printed backward?
Thank you! Yea good eye, they were modeled and printed backwards and I didn't notice until the end when I went to put them on, I'll need to get the computer model fixed

Don't have the 3D printer, but you can buy the files here...
Or
Sorry for the delayed response it was a busy weekend. Those might work, I didn't use those files, but I'm not sure if either of those are 3D printable? Those might only be for computer modeling use

I'd love to help who ever wants one of their own. From what I can see there are a couple options:
  1. I can host the 3D printable data files as they are online for download. This would be the bike with my custom parts on it as shown in my original post Then you'd have to send those files to someone with a 3D printer, have them send you the parts, then paint the parts up, get the decals printed and put on, and glue together
  2. You can send me pictures of your bike, I can have the few parts that are different from my bike modeled, and I can send you directly the model files for your own bike. You'd then have to send those files to someone with a 3D printer, have them send you the parts, then paint the parts up, get decals printed and put on, and glue together
  3. Same as #2 except I also get the parts printed for you and shipped to you. You'd then have to finish the parts by painting, getting decals, and gluing
  4. Same as #2 except I get the parts printed for you and shipped to me, I paint them, I use the same decals I used for my model, assemble the model and ship it to you
The person who printed my parts is overseas so they do take a few weeks to arrive

1 - 20 of 37 Posts