Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I called my closest Indian dealership to get a price on a set of two toned hard sided Chieftain saddlebags to mount on my Classic. I've got a set of like new Chieftain pipes so I was expecting about 3K. They came back with $3700.00. Think I'll wait until the madness and mayhem settles down, the prices fall and there are more after market choices before I decide.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
WOW!!! :eek:

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
That's crazy. At that kind of money to be able to haul your stuff it would be cheaper to just buy new stuff when you get where you are going.

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Did you go onto the Indian Web site to see the retail prices? There are some dealers who'll discount, ship for free or reduced fees and no sales tax. I saved about $1K on my factory trunk doing that.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I called my closest Indian dealership to get a price on a set of two toned hard sided Chieftain saddlebags to mount on my Classic. I've got a set of like new Chieftain pipes so I was expecting about 3K. They came back with $5700.00. Think I'll wait until the madness and mayhem settles down, the prices fall and there are more after market choices before I decide.
I'm curious, what is the break down of costs?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I used to read those mags all the time when I was a kid. Got a kick out of the humor. :D
Yea, it was a cool offbeat mag.. Nothing like it!
Yesterday I went to Walgreens to check it out...
Wow, They still publish it.. And it's still current events satire and absurd (for lack of better words) humor.. Good fun.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Yea, it was a cool offbeat mag.. Nothing like it!
Yesterday I went to Walgreens to check it out...
Wow, They still publish it.. And it's still current events satire and absurd (for lack of better words) humor.. Good fun.
How about that, will have to pick one up. Thanks :)

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Often Said the Price of a Bike with all the Options is far less than trying to add them later even with aftermarket options could give a dozen different Models but just to compare.. What the Roadmaster offers to begin with is far less to pay it first, than to try and add it's features later on .. When I was at the Indian Dealer a few days back overheard a guy inquiring about a Trunk for his Chieftain and was 3 Grand Plus just for the trunk alone ..

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you go to the Service Mgr. and ask him to price the main components of the bags (ie. lid, bag, manual latches, mounting spools), you should see a different picture. You would end up painting to match your color scheme.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you go to the Service Mgr. and ask him to price the main components of the bags (ie. lid, bag, manual latches, mounting spools), you should see a different picture. You would end up painting to match your color scheme.
Did you get your Chieftain hard bags ordered unpainted. May I ask what you paid for them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The story on my bike is a bit unusual....but, here goes....
I had been surfing the net since last summer looking for a "Classic Indian Bagger" after seeing a 1950 at "Wheels of Time", Maggie Valley, NC
Per chance, I found my bike "As Is" (Bagger) minus add-ons like windshield, mud flaps, etc. on the net.....it had all the potential for the "Very Rare" Classic Bagger of 1950 that I really wanted....but, the great modern Ride! I am more of a rider than a tinkerer.
As Paul Harvey would say, "Page Two"....rest of the story!
I found out that the Dealer had taken these bags off a Chieftain because they made it a trike. So, they decided to put the hard bags on a 2014 Classic as a Promo and because the color matched.

I jumped on and closed this deal the very day I found it....they told me that the bags, with electric locks and factory wired like the Chieftain was a $4k value. I don't have the knowledge to question this because of labor, etc. I am very certain that you can buy the "Main Parts & Manual Locks" for closer to $2500.
I believe the Classic will evolve to "Mod-Able" bike in 2016. The dealer believes you will see this "Hard Bagger" as an option for the Classic in the future.
Hope this info helps.....Now, you have the whole story!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I called my closest Indian dealership to get a price on a set of two toned hard sided Chieftain saddlebags to mount on my Classic. I've got a set of like new Chieftain pipes so I was expecting about 3K. They came back with $5700.00. Think I'll wait until the madness and mayhem settles down, the prices fall and there are more after market choices before I decide.
Sounds like a deal. Two sets please!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you get your Chieftain hard bags ordered unpainted. May I ask what you paid for them?
I wanted to send my tank to a custom air brush artist but it woud be tied up for a few months. I called my dealer about a replacement tank that I could send and still use my original in the interim.

New black tank $2200. Yep. They're proud of their stuff.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The story on my bike is a bit unusual....but, here goes....
I had been surfing the net since last summer looking for a "Classic Indian Bagger" after seeing a 1950 at "Wheels of Time", Maggie Valley, NC
Per chance, I found my bike "As Is" (Bagger) minus add-ons like windshield, mud flaps, etc. on the net.....it had all the potential for the "Very Rare" Classic Bagger of 1950 that I really wanted....but, the great modern Ride! I am more of a rider than a tinkerer.
As Paul Harvey would say, "Page Two"....rest of the story!
I found out that the Dealer had taken these bags off a Chieftain because they made it a trike. So, they decided to put the hard bags on a 2014 Classic as a Promo and because the color matched.

I jumped on and closed this deal the very day I found it....they told me that the bags, with electric locks and factory wired like the Chieftain was a $4k value. I don't have the knowledge to question this because of labor, etc. I am very certain that you can buy the "Main Parts & Manual Locks" for closer to $2500.
I believe the Classic will evolve to "Mod-Able" bike in 2016. The dealer believes you will see this "Hard Bagger" as an option for the Classic in the future.
Hope this info helps.....Now, you have the whole story!
I've got a call in to a few dealerships to give me a price. I'll see what unpainted/black hard bags would cost. I can have them painted locally and probably save some $$.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts