Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the 30K service plus new rear Michelin Commander II. All in, just over $1300! Oil change, fork seals and oil, brake fluid flush, new drive belt. Seems a bit stiff to me. Any thoughts from others? Also told me the "cush ring" was bad and they replaced it but didn't charge extra for it. I realize they don't do you favors on tires, but am I wrong to feel shafted?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
A breakdown of charges would help in determining fair or not. My first thought, for what was done. Is that it sounds very much in the ball park. But, that's just one guys opinion, from afar.

·
Rider
1,390 Posts
The fork oil change is about $700 with parts and labor by itself in my area so your bill may not be to far off. Besides can you really put a price on happiness?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I skipped putting on a new drive belt at the 30K service as replacing the belt then seemed ridiculous. I recently had the 65K service done and replaced the belt then as cracks were found in the belt ,

·
Bronze member
1,130 Posts
I don’t know on another brand motorcycle I had fork seals, spring replacement, fork oil change for around $ 500. Install two tires $100. If you toss the final drive belt replacement in $1300 is probably ok.

Parts alone are $500 +/-.

My concern is why fork seals and belt so early?

·
Rider
824 Posts
I have not priced any of this yet, but new Michelin Commander II, Gates drive belt and all the other fluids and fork seal service, sounds about what I would expect to pay

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
I don’t know on another brand motorcycle I had fork seals, spring replacement, fork oil change for around $ 500. Install two tires $100. If you toss the final drive belt replacement in $1300 is probably ok.

Parts alone are $500 +/-.

My concern is why fork seals and belt so early?
he said they were leaking... I don't really care what the manual says I will go until one of them starts to leak then I'll have both replaced... same with the belt... until I see that it needs replaced it ain't gonna happen.. my Vics had the same "recommended" maint. schedule and fork seals went to 30K and my belt is still on even with a piece of chip seal in the middle of it.. but as far as the price for all that he had done... I think it was totally reasonable... expensive yes but what isn't now days... so unless you do stuff yourself be prepared to pay the piper

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The next time you go to the dealer talk to service and ask how much each service costs at the different mileage intervals. I did and I remember one service alone (don’t remember the mileage) was over $1,000 so the price you quoted sounds like it’s correct.

In fact with all you mentioned in the service plus new tires $1,300 sounds like a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,822 Posts
I have Close to 40000 now,never had it serviced by the dealer,they are 8 hours away and always busy when i come thru.do all my own maint.no leaky seals ,my belt looks good.same battery in it when i bought it.i let it die in the winter storage,then charge it in the spring while changing the oil.lucky i guess.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
I have Close to 40000 now,never had it serviced by the dealer,they are 8 hours away and always busy when i come thru.do all my own maint.no leaky seals ,my belt looks good.same battery in it when i bought it.i let it die in the winter storage,then charge it in the spring while changing the oil.lucky i guess.
Whatever works forya...............;)

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
You ssid whatever works forya...... We were talking fork service, so I corrected you. Whatever works fork ya............
Never mind.
Have to laugh :D

I'm preocuppied trying to write a post on an installation problem I'm having. Damn thing has me and the supplier stumped.

Stumping me? Easy.

But stumping an award winning electrical engineer shouldn't be.

Reactions: Geoff-3
1 - 20 of 32 Posts