Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this motorcycle 17 days ago and have 2,000 miles on it. I have previously owned a HD Ultra Classic, BMW R1250 RT and a Goldwing. Each of which have had things i have liked and things I have hated. If you are looking to purchase a chieftain, I hope you will find this helpful. The chieftain i purchased came equipped with the stage 3 big bore kit. I would not purchase this on my own (because I am cheap). However I am very satisfied with it and find the bike to have tons of power at every speed. As others have stated the bike feels light as a feather and has plenty of ground clearance making it very maneuverable at both low and high speed. This allows you to get a good lean before scraping the floor boards.
The stereo produces good sound allowing you to listen to music at highway speed (70 +mph).
I am averaging 35-37 mpg. The 3 driving modes are useful and functional. The adjustable windshield is also a valuable feature and i use it frequently. The clutch is very nice and is not too stiff. I was surprised at how little the front end is affected by wind. I have ridden other bikes with fairings that were not framed mounted and they would shake a little when hit with gusts of wind. I have been told that when HD and Indian added vents to the fairings that they became more stable. I do not know if this is why but if you are thinking that you don't want a handlebar mounted fairing because of stability, i would reconsider.
The saddlebags are very roomy and I have had no issue with leaking.
I was worried about engine heat as all large V-twins with fuel injection seem to produce a lot heat. The hottest day so far that I have ridden has been 80 degrees and I have been surprised at how little heat I have noticed. I do not know if I will feel the same when summer comes but so far I think its less then the HD that I have ridden.
I am very pleased so far with this bike, but there are a few issues that I have. These are personal and you may not feel the same.
I find the seat to be nice looking but very uncomfortable. That being said I have hated every factor seat on every bike I have ever owned, with the exception of the saddle seat on my police motorcycle.
I did not like the fact that it did not come with healtoe shifter and the foot brake was a small knob. These were easily changed and the bike shifts great and foot brake is easier to manipulate. To carry a passenger and or luggage you will need to purchase backrest and or luggage rack. These are expensive and options are limited. If like to personalize your bike you may find less options than that of other brands. This what I have learned in just the short time I have owned the bike. I am getting the GPS installed this week and have no opinion on its functionality. I have had issue on personalizing the information screen. It could be because of my low IQ but I can't figure out how to display the tire pressure reading. The owners manual is not helpful. I am sure that when I get the GPS installed that the employees at the dealership will be able to assist.
As your dealer about their service center. Mine only has one mechanic and I had to wait 2 weeks for 500 mile service. I change the oil myself so it wasn't that big of a deal. However if I had or have a warranty issue I might be without a bike for a while. I have not made up my mind on the handlebars but they may be too low. There is no room for adjustment. I am waiting for my new seat and backrest to arrive before I make a decision on the bars. If I do change them I will only need to raise them about 2-4 inches. I hope you have found this information useful.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
457 Posts
If you don't have GPS, I have to assume you have a Chieftain basic Steel Gray. If that is the case you do not have TPMS. Its built into the infotainment system but you don't have the modules in the rims (so it can be added). I too have a basic, I had the GPS installed before delivery. I may do TPMS whenever I do my first tire changes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice, I've been on motors for the last 12 years. If u ever come to Ohio let me know. Always looking to ride with new people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts