Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle Mall in NJ the closest dealer to me has me waiting three weeks for a recall shifter part ... right in the heart of riding season in NJ. You would think if you know a recall is out you would stock up on the parts? Not going back there again ... well once I get my bike back

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got an 18 roadmaster with the same recall. They are getting my bike when the season is over. I never trust my neutral light when I let the clutch out. I already have one toy (my new boat) sitting at the marina because they can't get to it I don't want it to be two. I'd just take it back and ride it. Don't trust the light.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The N word????? KEEP RIDING!!!! I never look @ the display for gear #.. Learn this in 1977. ENJOY YOUR BIKE!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Happened to me twice. Had my bike at dealership for 3-4 weeks both times and nothing was fixed. Azzhats dont know how to fix anything. Will never go to dealer again.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Welcome to the REAL WORLD guys!! Why do ya think I do my own work???Too many of these, "STEALERSHIPS",which is exactly what they are,take your money when they sell ya a vehicle,whether it be a car,truck,boat, motorcycle, whatever,and hope they never see ya again.Not all of em,but enough of em,which gives the industry a bad name.And then,they don't wanna pay for a good mechanic,so they hire these fly by nighters that I wouldn't let work on my wheel barrow. All these people wanna do is make a quick buck and do nothing for it.So this is what ya have to look out for BEFORE ya buy anything!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Find another shop. The one closest to me (Big St. Charles) told me 3-4 weeks. I called a better dealer (Head Motorsports) and they asked what day I wanted it done. Took 2-3 hours while I went and had lunch.

·
Rider
1,226 Posts
Motorcycle Mall is about an hour away from Indian of Monmouth. Give them a call, I’ve never been disappointed there. Would be worth the ride for you.
Though I second all the posts saying ride it as is until the parts are in / end of season. My Gear indicator is a little wonky and that’s what I’m doing. Haven’t even called about it yet.

·
Rider
1,158 Posts
Motorcycle Mall in NJ the closest dealer to me has me waiting three weeks for a recall shifter part ... right in the heart of riding season in NJ. You would think if you know a recall is out you would stock up on the parts? Not going back there again ... well once I get my bike back
Were you having troubles with your bike prior to taking it in.

I got the recall also, but have not contacted my dealer yet.. Probably won't, till I start having troubles. I live 300 miles from my closest (only) dealer. Will need new tires by the fall.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
280 Posts
Believe the shutdown. May have things backed up leaving there on you

·
Senior member / rider
1,346 Posts
Not exactly sure how the part being unavailable is the dealers problem? I guess they could have told you there is an availability issue when you dropped it off, but as others have mentioned, sounds like you can keep riding until the part is available. That’s your choice.

·
Bronze member
2,278 Posts
Guys, keep in mind there was a revision to the original fix. Unfortunately, some people could have been caught in the gap till the latest revised sensor is released. Some shops unknowingly are put between a rock and hard place. Not an excuse but perhaps a reality in this case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Were you having troubles with your bike prior to taking it in.

I got the recall also, but have not contacted my dealer yet.. Probably won't, till I start having troubles. I live 300 miles from my closest (only) dealer. Will need new tires by the fall.

--
Gordon
no not at all ... big mistake on my part, and no I still don't have my bike yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Find another shop. The one closest to me (Big St. Charles) told me 3-4 weeks. I called a better dealer (Head Motorsports) and they asked what day I wanted it done. Took 2-3 hours while I went and had lunch.
iflypigs...St.Chaz told me 2 weeks but that’s becuz I’m handsome....Is this Head in Columbia? Hope you’re enjoying retirement.

·
Rider
844 Posts
Meanwhile I’m Riding all over Wy, Ut AZ , So Cal, Nv etc ... until they get the right revision on the shelf. I haven’t had an issue in 43k miles on a17 RM. Not going to lose any sleep or precious riding time over it. Or maybe will have traded in on a new Challenger next spring.

Attachments

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a similar issue with Ride Now in Peoria Arizona. I called them about the recall. They said they had to order the part and would call me when it came in, Two weeks later I had to call them. The part was in and we made an appointment like about three weeks out. They told me I was the second appointment for that day. I asked how long would it take. They said 3 to 4 hours because they had to let the bike cool down. I also scheduled a warranty fix of my tire read outs because they stopped working. They said they would order the parts the same time they ordered the part for the neutral issue. I was there at my appointment time, 9:00 a.m. I didn't leave until 4:00 p.m.
The first appointment before me was in and out in 1 hour.

I love my Springfield but I've have poor customer prior with this dealership as well as Desert Thunder in Kingman Arizona. The dealers will be an issue for the survival of Indian motorcycles I believe.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I think you'll discover that alot of the Indian dealerships do NOT wanna pay their people,hence they get back yard mechianics who do NOT know what they're doing.So,naturally,they keep putting the customer off til tomorrow or next week or whatever,until; they can find somebody who can do the job and do it right.But,they'll have to pay em and they don't wanna do that.All too many of these places wanna do is,sell ya the bike,make their profit,and ,hopefully,won't see ya again.And this is nothing new cause it's been going on for a loooooooooooooooong time now, no matter what motorcycle brand you buy.Why do ya think I do my own work???

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree with Davetac here,been working for a large engine manufacturer for the past 40yrs and I have never seen poorer management(moved up due to connections or AA,never ability to properly run a shop) and techs who can't or won't think and only do what a computer or fault code tells them to do.All the college graduate upper managers keep coming up with wizbang programs that look great but do not address poor repair quality or inordinate down time.
Ok rant over!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts