Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Purchase last month RM with 1012 miles and it did not come with the USB, 4 days after purchase went on a 10day road trip so when I returned I updated the software and download they key from the bike on a regular USB; all that went without a problem. However when I went to download the the map it would not recognize the USB. Wednesday I purchased a Indian USB $48.00o_O....I had to reformat it to FAT32 and to be on the safe side I updated the software and the key and when I attempt to upload the map to the ride command it says invalid platform or something like that and I need to restart the screen, I do and get the same message.
I called Indian and believe it or not they say find a YouTube video or forum on line:mad: I said really I thought calling the company I was calling the exports!

My map is so out of date....my bike is not a garage queen I am almost at 10K and I haven't had her quite 2 months yet!!!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,095 Posts
I'm sorry that you're having these problems. I really hate to say this since you spent $48, but the Indian USBs that were on the bike when I picked it up were junk. I bought a regular 8mb USB from BestBuy and had good luck.

I no longer have my 2018 RM so I can't run through the process, but I did follow the process on the website with success.

I hope that it all works out. Have you involved your dealer in trying to get the issue addressed?

·
Bronze member
5,716 Posts
Hello,
Purchase last month RM with 1012 miles and it did not come with the USB, 4 days after purchase went on a 10day road trip so when I returned I updated the software and download they key from the bike on a regular USB; all that went without a problem. However when I went to download the the map it would not recognize the USB. Wednesday I purchased a Indian USB $48.00o_O....I had to reformat it to FAT32 and to be on the safe side I updated the software and the key and when I attempt to upload the map to the ride command it says invalid platform or something like that and I need to restart the screen, I do and get the same message.
I called Indian and believe it or not they say find a YouTube video or forum on line:mad: I said really I thought calling the company I was calling the exports!

My map is so out of date....my bike is not a garage queen I am almost at 10K and I haven't had her quite 2 months yet!!!!

Do this.

Format the USB to FAT32, then get the ride command unit to put the thumbnail on the USB. Then download the maps, then pull the maps off the USB and put them in a folder on your computer. Reformat the USB to FAT32 again, then copy the maps from your computer back to the USB drive.

For some reason, when connecting to the maps app with the thumbnail key, the USB drive gets corrupted when the new maps are downloaded to it. I found that this usually solves the invalid package error everyone gets.

Also the Indian branded USB are junk and cheap as they come, (yeah I know the ripped you off for one) A good Sandisk branded USB drive is one of the better ones you can get (32 GB) is all you need. And format it to FAT32

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do this.

Format the USB to FAT32, then get the ride command unit to put the thumbnail on the USB. Then download the maps, then pull the maps off the USB and put them in a folder on your computer. Reformat the USB to FAT32 again, then copy the maps from your computer back to the USB drive.

For some reason, when connecting to the maps app with the thumbnail key, the USB drive gets corrupted when the new maps are downloaded to it. I found that this usually solves the invalid package error everyone gets.

Also the Indian branded USB are junk and cheap as they come, (yeah I know the ripped you off for one) A good Sandisk branded USB drive is one of the better ones you can get (32 GB) is all you need. And format it to FAT32
I've had the same problem with my 2017 RM. I've talked to "Customer Service" multiple times and they recommend I go back to the dealer. It's obvious there is a glitch in the software on their website. I, too, keep getting the "Invalid Package" message.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,095 Posts
Yes dealership is the one who suggested USB .
Nice to meet a shipmate, joined the Goatlocker in 2011.
Welcome aboard! You joined right after I retired. 26 was enough.

BTW, where abouts are you? Maybe there is a local IMRG where you can get some help.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Roadmaster / 2010 KM Vintage
2,414 Posts
@BluDiamond
10K in 2 months -- Welcome to the tribe!

Looks like Baron58 gave you some of the best advice. Use a quality named USB. I keep a Sandisk 32GB on board the bike with a library of music and routes.

Never expect the Ride Command app to sync with the bike properly via Bluetooth and you won't be disappointed. I use the (any brand/size) USB to transfer routes from the PC to the bike.
Polaris changed vendors for Ride Command. Your '18 uses the older system. I have found the maps to be lacking.

FWIW, I use Rever to do my planning then jump through a couple of hoops to get the map onto the bike.

·
Bronze member
5,716 Posts
@BluDiamond

10K in 2 months -- Welcome to the tribe!

Looks like Baron58 gave you some of the best advice. Use a quality named USB. I keep a Sandisk 32GB on board the bike with a library of music and routes.

Never expect the Ride Command app to sync with the bike properly via Bluetooth and you won't be disappointed. I use the (any brand/size) USB to transfer routes from the PC to the bike.
Polaris changed vendors for Ride Command. Your '18 uses the older system. I have found the maps to be lacking.

FWIW, I use Rever to do my planning then jump through a couple of hoops to get the map onto the bike.

Yep the Ride command GPS system looks good on paper, but is very lacking in function

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have the Indian USB drive and my bike won't even read it. It tries real hard to read it but then fails. I would suggest, as others have, to go buy a good SanDisk or Samsung or other name brand USB stick and start over with plugging it in the bike to generate the key. I just updated my ride command and maps a couple of days ago with a 16GB SanDisk and it worked great, but wouldn't work at all with the Indian USB stick.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Roadmaster / 2010 KM Vintage
2,414 Posts
Yep the Ride command GPS system looks good on paper, but is very lacking in function
I find the GPS - on the bike - is pretty darn good. Easy to operate, especially on the fly, and easy to read. It is the lack of compatability with normal GPX files is annoying. RC app and web products - ummm... suck.

Reactions: ThumperW
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.