Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned over 2500 miles. Is there any reason I can't do the 2500 mile service? I feel like I'm capable of performing the tasks, but I'm concerned about warranty. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Rider
900 Posts
Hmm never did a 2,500 mile service on my Indians and did not have any warranty issues when bikes were fixed under warranty.

·
Founding member / silver
5,066 Posts
Since the 2500 mile service is an inspection, there aren't any receipts to keep. The only way I can see it would be an issue is if you missed something that should've been caught during the maintenance that later failed. Just perform the inspections and document it in the maintenance log. You can also document it on the Polaris Ride Command website under maintenance records.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Most of my bikes i had that i got New. i paid dealer to do it. Then after i fig the bike was working good. i did all rest myself. except for something like remove forks. where i wanted someone that knew what to do an make sure they put back on correctly.

·
Bronze member
1,939 Posts
Buy the service manual, and if you don't have them, buy the few tools you'll need. No one will treat your bike better than you. Only finger tight front axle pinch bolts (twice), gouged front wheel, scratched saddle bag, scratched rear fender (twice), missing rear brake caliper bolt...these are just a few of the things encountered from dealer service departments over the years.

The only service you may want the dealer to do is the front fork oil replacement - and you could remove the forks yourself and take them to the dealer to have the fork oil replaced.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the input. This forum is a fantastic resource! I just got my ride command update and app working last weekend, so I can actually document service work and it's cool that it keeps track of my bike data. I'm really loving this bike, more than any bike I've owned. Solid, powerful, comfortable and smooth as silk! I feel pretty fortunate.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's an easy bike to service. I just did the oil on mine for the second time and it is a lot better than having to drain engine, trans and primary. Plus the oil filter is easier to get at and doesn't make a mess like on my HDs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's an easy bike to service. I just did the oil on mine for the second time and it is a lot better than having to drain engine, trans and primary. Plus the oil filter is easier to get at and doesn't make a mess like on my HDs.
Good to know. Thanks for the info Steve.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just accomplished my 500 mile service. Followed the checklist items after downloading the service manual. Pretty simple but reading through the future service checklists you can just off of your comfort level. I like doing my own work to get to know your ride and working on motorcycles are fairly easy with the service manual. Comes down to tools for the most part.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dealer told me that there's no real need to do 2500 mile and my warranty wouldn't be impacted. Said that it's an inspection and there never find anything. They will look everything over on the 5,000 mile oil change. I paid for a 2 year service contract. Should I insist they do it?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
yes the service after the 500 is 5k then 10k. but at around 1600 miles dealership had a $5.00 SPECIAL oil change so i did it. then at 2700 miles had another 5 dollar oil change special so i did it again. didn't have to but i fig for 5 bucks can't hurt it. But like i said in other post in this forum. had a f250 always changed oil at 3k sold it when it had 216k on it an was running great then.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Talked to my dealer about the 2500 mile service. They said you can totally do it yourself if you check all the boxes. This will not affect the warranty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts