Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traveling Tall was talking with Lloyd today. He stated he won't stop working on the Challenger until his bike has 250 plus hp. He said cams, head work etc are all coming. He also said this motor can handle 250 hp in stock form. He starts talking about the Challenger around 8 mins in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Traveling Tall was talking with Lloyd today. He stated he won't stop working on the Challenger until his bike has 250 plus hp. He said cams, head work etc are all coming. He also said this motor can 250 hp in stock form. He starts talking about the Challenger around 8 mins in.

Thanks for the update! That's awesome news

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, that speed limiter is a big downer. I was cruising this morning along with traffic and looked down and was doing 90. Locked in the cruise, and people were still passing me!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,255 Posts
Typical Interstate bombers. 90 mph is outside of my comfort zone but to each his own I guess. 80 mph is about my maximum cruising speed.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Traveling Tall was talking with Lloyd today. He stated he won't stop working on the Challenger until his bike has 250 plus hp. He said cams, head work etc are all coming. He also said this motor can handle 250 hp in stock form. He starts talking about the Challenger around 8 mins in.

Mazel tov...

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
456 Posts
Just a personal opinion, but 250hp on a street cruiser is ridiculous. 100hp is all I would ever need, the Challenger at 120hp stock should be plenty. Let me say this loud and clear "these aren't sport bikes" . Catch that footboard on the ground in a turn using that 250hp and you will find that out in a hurry. Again this is just the opinion of an old dude, so take it for what worth.

·
Bronze member
2,662 Posts
Just a personal opinion, but 250hp on a street cruiser is ridiculous. 100hp is all I would ever need, the Challenger at 120hp stock should be plenty. Let me say this loud and clear "these aren't sport bikes" . Catch that footboard on the ground in a turn using that 250hp and you will find that out in a hurry. Again this is just the opinion of an old dude, so take it for what worth.
I agree...250 hp would be ridiculous and unusable on a bagger. The new Ducati Streetfigher only has 208 at the crank, is designed to accommodate that much power, and 99% of riders couldn’t control or use all of that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Since my Challenger is still relatively new to me, I am happy with the power. My previous bike had 145 HP at the crank, FJR1300, and I believe I could have used another 20% or more easily. I believe after some time I would be interested in a 20% or so increase on the Challenger, but agree that 250 HP would be a bit insane.

I have only about a 1000 miles on the Challenger and with summer hitting it’s stride- 80F with 86% humidity at 8:30 this morning- I won’t get a lot of miles until the fall. This is my winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. 250 hp on this bike would be nuts. A 150 or 160 with the torque this bike will make at that will even be a handful, fun for sure. Not to mention the transmission and belt drive won't handle it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,255 Posts
Well that's all well and good but when you stress engine parts that hard they tend to wear out or fail sooner, Ridabilty might suffer as well because the more horsepower you get for a given displacement the more "peaky" it becomes making power in a narrower band at an elevated rpm level. A street engine should have a good spread of torque and have a nice usable power curve. 10 to 20 percent more power and you can have that but doubling the horsepower won't help ridabilty any.

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
Not to mention upgrade clutch assembly......which I am sure is ALL part of the power upgrade. There will be multiple variants of power upgrades for our Chally's, with the TOP of the line power coming from a supercharger most likely. While I agree 250 ponies is a lot of juice, it's all about bragging rights and putting HD in its place when it comes to power wars. I think 150-165HP will move our bikes along very nicely AND maintain some reliability as well. Time will tell.

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts
You can get crazy horsepower out of any engine if you want to, how long the engine will last using those HP settings is another story. Top fuel engines get 10,000+ HP but they only hold up for a few seconds. Just cause you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,445 Posts
Not to mention upgrade clutch assembly......which I am sure is ALL part of the power upgrade. There will be multiple variants of power upgrades for our Chally's, with the TOP of the line power coming from a supercharger most likely. While I agree 250 ponies is a lot of juice, it's all about bragging rights and putting HD in its place when it comes to power wars. I think 150-165HP will move our bikes along very nicely AND maintain some reliability as well. Time will tell.
That’s funny I was on my way home from getting my big bore kit installed on my Road Glide when a guy on a Chieftain limited pulled up on my left side. I was trying to be good and do my proper break end miles. Well when he took off I took it as a challenge and the rest as they say is history

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
That’s funny I was on my way home from getting my big bore kit installed on my Road Glide when a guy on a Chieftain limited pulled up on my left side. I was trying to be good and do my proper break end miles. Well when he took off I took it as a challenge and the rest as they say is history

................and...........tell us a little "history" IMARIDER!?!!?!?!?!

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,445 Posts
................and...........tell us a little "history" IMARIDER!?!!?!?!?!
Well since you asked I’ll tell you . I’m riding in the right lane and he pulls next to me in the center lane and after we exchanged waves he cuts over in front of me then goes slides all the way over in front of the car in the far left lane that was holding up traffic. This is on 435 Southbound in Kansas City KS. Anyway I took that as a sign he wanted to play lol so I followed suit. We got into the clear and I shot pass him. Traffic was lite so we ran over 100-110 for the next 8 miles. Every time he tried to catch up I’d pull away. I think both our bikes had the factory speed limit set though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
OMG I would screw with every HD rider I can across with that kinda horse power and torque LMAO. But it’s more realistic to put a 116 with 585s on my 18 vintage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts