Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum earlier :
Well here I sit, 24 hours after I picked up my baby and now that I've put a few miles on her I thought I should post a real world ride report.
This is a wee bit long winded but it is what it is.

The good :

So to start I want to say this motorcycle is everything I have been looking for and more.
It really is a thing of beauty, Polaris did their homework, the attention to detail is everywhere from the end of the grips to the brake master cylinder covers, the speedo and the fuel gauge, the floorboard rubbers and the rear brake pedal the Indian logo is everywhere, not tacky just placed so your eye sees it no matter where you are standing, Indian is in your view.

The power is awesome , this is a heavy motorcycle but when you crack the whip it feels like a 500 lb bike, it just hauls a$$ and moves.
Throwing her into the corners is very confidence inspiring, there is a hell of a lot of ground clearance, I thought for sure I would be scraping the boards today but no chance, I was more worried of the tire breaking away then scraping the boards.

The suspension is great, I hit some huge bumps and going over railway tracks is nothing for this bike, the rear sucked up the bumps easily and not once did I bottom out. The rear brakes are nothing short of amazing.
I really cannot remember the last time I had to slam on the brakes and no locked wheel period ! I suppose this is part of the ABS function i'm not sure but there was no ' pulsing ' just solid feel when I stepped on the pedal.

The bad :

Did I mention this bike was heavy ?
Slow parking lot manouvers need to be practiced, at least for me.
I almost dropped her in a tight turn really slow, I take most of the blame but still do not forget how massive these machines are.

The kickstand, who the hell designed that ?
I mean it is a beautiful thing, long and shiney but it is so close to the clutch actuator arm that every time I tried to put the stand down I got my foot hooked on the clutch arm and it really started to piss me off.
Solution ? Of course, I need to extend the end of the kickstand a bit, no worries, when the snow flies.

Seat, nice firm seat, I really can't say anything bad yet, it's not broke in ' but ' the <a id='FALINK_1_0_0' class='FAtxtL' href='http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41454#'>wrinkles</a> have started, they seem to go away after an hour or so, kinda weird but when I get off the bike the seat has wrinkles but a few hours later they go away.

Floor boards and controls.
Us tall guy's need to be aware that you really need to lift your leg up to get on top of the boards, not a terrible thing but I thing I found a new muscle tonight, damn thing is still cramping while i'm sitting here typing lol.
Yes I can fix this and I will.
As far as the brake pedal ( another thing of beauty ) I love the fact that I can slide my foot under it to stretch out, same as the shifter, really cool and a plus for me.

The ugly :

I can't see that amazing front fender when i'm riding, after I got <a id='FALINK_2_0_1' class='FAtxtL' href='http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41454#'>back</a> home last night from the Dealer I sat in my garage and stared at my baby for hours,

How do I decide to ride ?
I mean I took the bags off and the windshield just to look and I love it, I could ride her naked all day long, then I put her clothes back on and i'm in love again, I want to ride her fully dressed.

So, is this the perfect motorcycle ?
For me, yes, for someone else time will tell, I have been waiting for this feeling for a long time, it's back, for some this is just a mode of transportation, for me my motorcycle is an extension of my personality, my existence, I don't just ride a bike I become part of it when i'm twisting the throttle, I am in my happy place.

Yes I know I have issues, i'm good with that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nice choice spider, you are going to be one stylyn dude up there au canada !
how about a pic or two just to tease us a bit ! lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love it spider! Lol. You're in love, my man, and I fully understand it! :). Very cool. Thanks for updating us. Ride safe and enjoy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am interested in the Vintage also (maybe in blue) and would love to see a picture of her naked. Pictures please??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1169 said:
Us tall guy's need to be aware that you really need to lift your leg up to get on top of the boards, not a terrible thing but I thing I found a new muscle tonight, damn thing is still cramping while i'm sitting here typing lol.
Yes I know I have issues, i'm good with that
You have a tendency to find new muscles when you're in love and start riding things dressed and naked for hours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
11100 said:
Pics pleeeeeeze. All I see are the shiney ones
Going back to my Dealer this morning to get my stage one installed with the shark fins, i'll post some dirty pics later today ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was a long 7 weeks of waiting for you. Sounds like it was worth it.

Good luck with the new ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
REALLY looking forward to mine!
I absolutely love my Vics, but, there is one thing a Victory cannot do well .......................... Vintage

The Indian has this covered in full .................. NICE review, everything I was hoping to hear :)<em> </em>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Enjoyed your review and fully understand how you feel about your bike. I haven't seen a review of the bike for two up riding...have you tried it yet?

Ride Safe!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
6526 said:
Enjoyed your review and fully understand how you feel about your bike. I haven't seen a review of the bike for two up riding...have you tried it yet?

Ride Safe!!
Taking momma out for a ride tonight, i'll see what she thinks later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chsvictory - I have a limited demo two up ride experience. Along with several other couples that road that day - ALL were impressed. The wifes of two other riders, one HD and one Yamaha both said their men needed to purchase Indians. One couple on a Chieftain, one on a Vintage. My wife and I were on a Chieftain with the back rest as I have ordered it. I was told the rear shock was on base settings. With that said after ride height adjustments and proper air the ride will be even better. Hard to imagine that...

According to the owners manual which a member provided a link to online - the shock should of had about 20 lbs. for my situation plus the spring ride height as well. Smooth riding lies ahead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on your new bike, and thanks for the info. Looks like Polaris stock is going to go up even more with this HD killer in thier lineup.
Yea, I also like pictures.
Thanks again, Thaine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Began driving my Vintage #546 on Thursday. My experience with slow cornering is the same; it takes some concentration, coordination, clutching, throttling, balance and strength. I came out of a parking lot today from a stop: down a slope, across a hole, through guttering and into a turn. I made it, but it was touchy. I will spend --some more-- time at the high school driving range tomorrow. At speed? No worries. Went through an S curve today and could have added to the speed.
I also found the rear suspension superb. I purposefully drove into holes in controlled conditions this week. I called it 'cushy.'
They didn't have all my chrome accessories in when I accepted delivery. Plan is to have that done at the 500 mile check. I am about six foot. I could use another inch on the windscreen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice review Spider, I assume you bought at the Toronto dealership? I have a black Chieftan ordered through Montreal, and can't wait, of course there will be no riding for me till spring..... looks like a Feb. delivery

1 - 20 of 22 Posts