Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was thinking Low Rider ST when I responded not Road Glide ST. Stock for stock a Challenger will smoke ANY Harley FL. I’ve ridden all of them and am a big Harley fan. No comparison. The PP108 stomps the air cooled bikes good. There’s an excellent video on YouTube of a guy running his buddy’s stage 4 131 Road Glide with his stage 2 108. Go watch the video. They are about dead even with the edge going to the 108. Think about that. How much does a stage 4 131 cost?
How much do stage 2 mods cost for the 108.
The future is here.
I had a 2018 fatboy 114, stock with slip ons and that bike although lighter than my challenger I think was likely just as fast off the line but would die at 4500rpm. I like the 108 motor and am interested to ride hopefully soon with my buddy that has a 2013 cvo road glide, it is a fast bike for a vtwin imo.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,433 Posts
I was never into the so called crotch rockets (sport bikes). I evolved from standards (naked bikes with upright riding positions & mid controls to cruisers as I aged. My first factory hard bagger was a 2010 Triumph Rocket III Touring which would smoke any V-twin powered bagger at that time. The 2020 Challenger I have is not quite that powerful but comes in second to the big Triumph for engine performance, It outshines the Rocket in handling and braking while the fixed fairing and adjustable windshield do a much better job of wind management. My Indian is also more comfortable and produces less heat while also getting better gas mileage.

·
Silver member
3,723 Posts
I have to LOL at this sort of comment. My 2003 cbr1100xx will trounce anything on this forum in the 1/4 or top speed. Almost 20 year old tech, and I can say that with confidence. I can also say that I never wanted to ride that bike for even 1 full tank of gas. Not even 1/2 full tank. The Challenger is comfortable, and the FACT that it will outrun anything off the Harley dealership floor is merely a happy coincidence of the engineering involved.
I own a modified 2014 Rocket Roadster and a new Rocket TFC. If I need big power I’ll ride one of those but if I want my comfort I’ll ride the Challenger or my RM. I just think the Challenger is the best bagger i have ever ridden. I just can’t enjoy the ergonomics of the sport bikes.

Reactions: WillyH and TNINJUN

·
Registered
'22 Challenger DH Jack Daniels - #69 of 107 / '20 Challenger Darkhorse - KST - Galfer - K&N filter
97 Posts
Wow... now we're comparing sportbikes to Challengers and stating the obvious. Does one just go out and spend top dollar on the fastest machine in existence JUST to go fast? Or did one forget, let alone ever experience the thrill of a big block, or even small block, full size muscle car bangin' a 4 or 5 speed MANUAL (remember those?) transmission and grinning when you break into the 11's while driving the family to get ice cream a few hours later? No, it isn't an 1800hp GTR pulling 8's with flappy paddles, and it isn't trying to be. Why am I even explaining this? You either get it or you don't.

·
Registered
Indian Chieftain Ltd 2018
317 Posts
So, I got a chance to ride the Road Glide ST today at the Demo truck. Jesus!!! That thing is really rough to ride. I can totally see why Legends suspension is so popular. I love the power. It felt as good or better than a Challenger handled well, felt a little heavy but I couldn't own a bike that rode that rough. My back literally wouldn't take it.
of course,
it's a mule from the 90s
made heavier in the 00s
and blinked it up a bit for the 10s
threw in a new engine for the 20s
but it's still an old mule.
funny how they resale a standard road glide as a new super special sports bike, just because inbetween all was about the lowered special, it's the same old bike aside from an engine uplift and some niggles.

The RG is a demo truck, already.

To me, the engine is good in stock, but chassis - wow - needs a lot of work, the rest, well it's what it is, a new paint old harley with better brakes. all steel and cast iron, mostly, so it has its plus's to many for sure.

The best in HD to me is: accessories choice
try to get that on an indian thunderstroke bike, not even the new fake custom chopper base bikes - chief do have a decent set of accessories, even triumph does it better or moto guzzi. Polaris is utterly lazy on that.

·
Silver member
3,723 Posts
Wow... now we're comparing sportbikes to Challengers and stating the obvious. Does one just go out and spend top dollar on the fastest machine in existence JUST to go fast? Or did one forget, let alone ever experience the thrill of a big block, or even small block, full size muscle car bangin' a 4 or 5 speed MANUAL (remember those?) transmission and grinning when you break into the 11's while driving the family to get ice cream a few hours later? No, it isn't an 1800hp GTR pulling 8's with flappy paddles, and it isn't trying to be. Why am I even explaining this? You either get it or you don't.
If you are referring to my post you should understand a Rocket is not a sport bike. It is a naked cruiser and I did not compare it to the Challenger. They are quite different and both top notch rides.

Reactions: WillyH and Lutch

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,433 Posts
The R3T, Rocket III Touring was a bagger but more like a Springfield in that it didn't have a fairing. I had a 2010 R3T and it was tuned to be less horsepower but more low end torque than the Standard Rocket. Something like 150 foot pounds at a ridiculously low rpm with a very flat broad torque curve. The peak horsepower was only something like 120 whereas the standard Rocket had something like 150 hp.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The R3T, Rocket III Touring was a bagger but more like a Springfield in that it didn't have a fairing. I had a 2010 R3T and it was tuned to be less horsepower but more low end torque than the Standard Rocket. Something like 150 foot pounds at a ridiculously low rpm with a very flat broad torque curve. The peak horsepower was only something like 120 whereas the standard Rocket had something like 150 hp.
All that power does seem appealing, but to be quite honest, I've been riding for 19 years and I've never seen a Triumph on the road. I've seen 1 or 2 pull in to the dealership for maintenance, but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
All that power does seem appealing, but to be quite honest, I've been riding for 19 years and I've never seen a Triumph on the road. I've seen 1 or 2 pull in to the dealership for maintenance, but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Rockets are very rare in my neck of the woods also but a few years ago I had the opportunity to ride a used R3T that was for sale locally. The owner had the Roadster tune done to it. "Thrilling" would be an understatement. It's called Rocket for a reason :cool:

Reactions: HyeHog and Dr.D

·
Registered
'22 Challenger DH Jack Daniels - #69 of 107 / '20 Challenger Darkhorse - KST - Galfer - K&N filter
97 Posts
If you are referring to my post you should understand a Rocket is not a sport bike. It is a naked cruiser and I did not compare it to the Challenger. They are quite different and both top notch rides.
It was a while ago, but I don't think I was. I know what the Rocket 3 is, have one of those too.

Reactions: Dr.D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Guys, I'm late to this conversation but I just recently test rode a Road Glide ST.. (I currently own a 2020 Challenger dark horse)
I'm also coming from years of owning sportbikes. Got into cruisers when I hit my mid 40s. MSF instructor and have done plenty of track days.

The new 117 engine is a beast. It does seem to have a little more oomph from the line compared to my Challenger. Maybe it's the throttle response (and yes, I have the Dynojet ECU flash, throttles synced, full 2 into 1 exhaust, air intake, etc) Did everything you can do to the Challenger except a LLoydz cam. My bike runs perfectly and I wouldn't change anything on it, or even let the dealer service it for risk of updating something that would negatively impact it.

The ST runs much better than previous versions of SGS or RGS. (and I had three different SGS all with M8 engines, one with stage 2 cams)

I honestly think they did a pretty good job with the ST. It is a stripped down version of the Special. Has same technology including RDRS, NAV, Apple Carplay, etc but no passenger seat or rear pegs. The fit and finish of the HD is hands down better than most bikes on the market, including the Indian. Nothing on it feels cheap. I wish my Challenger felt the same. Before the Challenger came out I was riding my Street Glide Special. Took a look at the Chieftain and hated the "plasticy" feel of it.. Didn't purchase... Came back when the Challenger came out and only purchased it because the handling and performance was better than Harley's. The gap is closing now with the ST. I love my Challenger but with the ST, and excellent fit and finish, extensive aftermarket parts, service, etc. The decision is getting harder. Time will tell. For now, I will continue to love my Challenger.

Attachments

81 - 94 of 94 Posts