Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,433 Posts
It's my opinion that when (not if) Harley Davidson releases a new liquid cooled engine for their heavy touring models it will probably be in the 110 to 120 cubic inch displacement range, It will be a totally new enigine, not a bored & stroked Revolution Max.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's my opinion that when (not if) Harley Davidson releases a new liquid cooled engine for their heavy touring models it will probably be in the 110 to 120 cubic inch displacement range, It will be a totally new enigine, not a bored & stroked Revolution Max.
They better research, engineer and test any brand new engine a hell of a lot more than they did with their brand new M8 motor.

·
Founding Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The PP108 sounds almost identical to the Freedom 106

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
The Air/Oil Cooled Freedom 106(like the one in my Cross Country Tour) was always making head noise, and having the lowers that noise was deflected upward. Drove me nuts. But the water cooling(in the PP108) helps dampen a lot of that.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,433 Posts
Yes it would. Both the Vic 106 and the PP108 are pretty close to the same overhead cam with 4 valve head configuration. The noises would be about the same except quieter on the liquid cooled.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
So, I got a chance to ride the Road Glide ST today at the Demo truck. Jesus!!! That thing is really rough to ride. I can totally see why Legends suspension is so popular. I love the power. It felt as good or better than a Challenger handled well, felt a little heavy but I couldn't own a bike that rode that rough. My back literally wouldn't take it.

·
Silver member
3,723 Posts
So, I got a chance to ride the Road Glide ST today at the Demo truck. Jesus!!! That thing is really rough to ride. I can totally see why Legends suspension is so popular. I love the power. It felt as good or better than a Challenger handled well, felt a little heavy but I couldn't own a bike that rode that rough. My back literally wouldn't take it.
So will it out run a Challenger in a drag race?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’ve ridden a Lowrider S and a drag race would largely depend on the rider. The FXLRST is only about 100lbs lighter than a Challenger but gives up a lot in the HP department. It would be a good race.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have to LOL at this sort of comment. My 2003 cbr1100xx will trounce anything on this forum in the 1/4 or top speed. Almost 20 year old tech, and I can say that with confidence. I can also say that I never wanted to ride that bike for even 1 full tank of gas. Not even 1/2 full tank. The Challenger is comfortable, and the FACT that it will outrun anything off the Harley dealership floor is merely a happy coincidence of the engineering involved.

·
Rider
1,156 Posts
I have to LOL at this sort of comment. My 2003 cbr1100xx will trounce anything on this forum in the 1/4 or top speed. Almost 20 year old tech, and I can say that with confidence. I can also say that I never wanted to ride that bike for even 1 full tank of gas. Not even 1/2 full tank. The Challenger is comfortable, and the FACT that it will outrun anything off the Harley dealership floor is merely a happy coincidence of the engineering involved.
Haha my son bought a CBR1100 here years. ago and wanted to ride it back home, 400 mile trip. I tagged along on an ‘07 Road King. He constantly ribbed me on how gutless the Harley was, and rightfully so. But it didn’t take long to figure out which one was the road bike. He was cold, wet and saddle sore at the end of the day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I kind of think the same way I really like the 108 motor but realize it’s a 800lb 120hp machine, I had a first gen hayabusa when I was a fair bit younger now that had power.

·
Registered
764 Posts
OK guys, I'm 74 yo and, prior to getting my 2020 Challenger Limited a little over a year ago, my last 2 bikes were Road Glides (2013 RGC and 2016 RGU). I LOVED the RG styling. Both were comfortable bikes for me and I've been on a number of trips with long days in the saddle. No complaints. But...., the RGU really was too damn top heavy but I managed. But I gotta tell ya, after I test rode the Challenger I bought it. As far as fit, I only changed out the bars for the reduced reach Indian bars. That was a good move. But the stock seat, the controls, so forth and so on are perfect for me @ 5' 11" and 165 lbs. IMHO the Challenger is MORE comfortable than either of my previous RG's. The Challenger feels more "nimble" if you know what I mean and it doesn't feel top heavy at all. The stock stereo is more than adequate and even running at 80ish I have all the volume and clarity I need and won't be spending no bucks to improve it like you need to do on a Harley. And I usually ride with the windscreen only maybe about 1/3 of the way up but after I rocket up a ramp and get on the interstate it is so nice to be able to run the windscreen the rest of the way up to keep me out of some of the wind. Having the RUN/START button on a rocker with the KILL switch--now why didn't Harley think of this? Not that I would ever admit that at one time my bike wouldn't start and it took me forever to figure out I had inadvertently pushed the KILL switch, but I have heard of this happening LOL but it can't happen on my Challenger. Heel shifter? Yeah, I kinda liked the Harley heel shifters. But I don't miss it. And with longer foot boards and no heel shifter I like being able to move my left foot around a lot rather than having it positioned in one spot for my whole ride. Also really like being able to rearrange the RC screens cause I like to have half the screen showing me the GPS and the other half of the screen showing my mph and both front and rear air pressures. Locking saddle bags are something I would never have paid extra for but, dang, they came on my Challenger and I really like them. The locking gas cap is also a plus for me. I think the Challenger rear lighting is a bit "weak" but I bought the Custom Dynamics all LED run/stop/brake lights to mount on the rear just underneath the saddlebag lids and, very soon, I will install them. And changing 5 qts of motor oil & filter is definitely better than having to change out all 3 holes on a Harley LOL.

I am still somewhat bumfuzzled with planning trips with the RC system but, hey, remember I'm 74 so I don't get along real well with computers and I will get some more experience using it and setting it up pretty soon.

So, for all of you Harley folks that may be "wondering" about the Challenger, if ya wanna keep peace at home and not cripple your bank account then for Gosh sakes don't test ride one!

ATTN: Polaris staff that may be monitoring this thread, you should have my address on file for thanking me with discount coupons or other goodies but, if not, let me know LOL.

·
Registered
429 Posts
OK guys, I'm 74 yo and, prior to getting my 2020 Challenger Limited a little over a year ago, my last 2 bikes were Road Glides (2013 RGC and 2016 RGU). I LOVED the RG styling. Both were comfortable bikes for me and I've been on a number of trips with long days in the saddle. No complaints. But...., the RGU really was too damn top heavy but I managed. But I gotta tell ya, after I test rode the Challenger I bought it. As far as fit, I only changed out the bars for the reduced reach Indian bars. That was a good move. But the stock seat, the controls, so forth and so on are perfect for me @ 5' 11" and 165 lbs. IMHO the Challenger is MORE comfortable than either of my previous RG's. The Challenger feels more "nimble" if you know what I mean and it doesn't feel top heavy at all. The stock stereo is more than adequate and even running at 80ish I have all the volume and clarity I need and won't be spending no bucks to improve it like you need to do on a Harley. And I usually ride with the windscreen only maybe about 1/3 of the way up but after I rocket up a ramp and get on the interstate it is so nice to be able to run the windscreen the rest of the way up to keep me out of some of the wind. Having the RUN/START button on a rocker with the KILL switch--now why didn't Harley think of this? Not that I would ever admit that at one time my bike wouldn't start and it took me forever to figure out I had inadvertently pushed the KILL switch, but I have heard of this happening LOL but it can't happen on my Challenger. Heel shifter? Yeah, I kinda liked the Harley heel shifters. But I don't miss it. And with longer foot boards and no heel shifter I like being able to move my left foot around a lot rather than having it positioned in one spot for my whole ride. Also really like being able to rearrange the RC screens cause I like to have half the screen showing me the GPS and the other half of the screen showing my mph and both front and rear air pressures. Locking saddle bags are something I would never have paid extra for but, dang, they came on my Challenger and I really like them. The locking gas cap is also a plus for me. I think the Challenger rear lighting is a bit "weak" but I bought the Custom Dynamics all LED run/stop/brake lights to mount on the rear just underneath the saddlebag lids and, very soon, I will install them. And changing 5 qts of motor oil & filter is definitely better than having to change out all 3 holes on a Harley LOL.

I am still somewhat bumfuzzled with planning trips with the RC system but, hey, remember I'm 74 so I don't get along real well with computers and I will get some more experience using it and setting it up pretty soon.

So, for all of you Harley folks that may be "wondering" about the Challenger, if ya wanna keep peace at home and not cripple your bank account then for Gosh sakes don't test ride one!

ATTN: Polaris staff that may be monitoring this thread, you should have my address on file for thanking me with discount coupons or other goodies but, if not, let me know LOL.
Nailed it!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was thinking Low Rider ST when I responded not Road Glide ST. Stock for stock a Challenger will smoke ANY Harley FL. I’ve ridden all of them and am a big Harley fan. No comparison. The PP108 stomps the air cooled bikes good. There’s an excellent video on YouTube of a guy running his buddy’s stage 4 131 Road Glide with his stage 2 108. Go watch the video. They are about dead even with the edge going to the 108. Think about that. How much does a stage 4 131 cost?
How much do stage 2 mods cost for the 108.
The future is here.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts