Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Lowrider ST is the next bike for me to demo ride(they will be in the HD showrooms in April). The big difference between the new Softail line and the Touring bikes is highway stability. I put 400 miles on the Heritage Softail and loved it until I got on the interstate, the bike is just too light at 80MPH and the wind tossed it around.
I went to Harley in my area, they say they "don't offer test rides." I wonder how they even stay in business? I don't get it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Lowrider ST is the next bike for me to demo ride(they will be in the HD showrooms in April). The big difference between the new Softail line and the Touring bikes is highway stability. I put 400 miles on the Heritage Softail and loved it until I got on the interstate, the bike is just too light at 80MPH and the wind tossed it around.
I ride two Vintages...and at 840 lbs, they are ROCK SOLID on the Interstate...best touring bikes I have ever had..I just love 'em..
But yea...that Lowrider ST looks like a hoot...I just don't see floorboards available except for the passenger...and Floorboards are a MUST for doing distance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I tested one in Daytona. I felt the 117 never really got going until mid range in second gear. Once that kicked in the engine was awesome. I don't see that engine being good for canyons without a cam job. In my opinion it would be great for open roads with the out of box config. I am a road glide fan and was left a bit disappointed. It would take a lot more work on the suspension and braking to feel as complete as the Challenger. I rode the Pursuit later in the day on the same route and the Pursuit was measurably more enjoyable.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The ONLY Harley that I would even consider right now is the Lowrider ST...
10K less for a way sportier bike..
I just don't see the point for a Road Glide, Road Glide Special, Road Glide ST and a Road Glide CVO....seems like a serious lack of imagination to me....I Like Harley, but C'mon man....
I will stick with Indian...Thunderstroke all the way...

My Opinions only!
Except it’s only like 2k less than a Challenger standard and you get a lot of extras for the 2k. I’m actually pretty excited about the Low Rider ST. I was really disappointed in the Sport Glide with its baby batwing fairing. I still think the OG FXR-T fairing looks better though.

I was having issues with my Chally and about at the point where the new LR-ST was a very well timed and tempting offering. My new dealership sorted it out though and now I’m stoked. Maybe if/when they come out with a Revmax version.

·
Registered
'22 Challenger DH Jack Daniels - #69 of 107 / '20 Challenger Darkhorse - KST - Galfer - K&N filter
97 Posts
I was really disappointed in the Sport Glide with its baby batwing fairing. I still think the OG FXR-T fairing looks better though.
Boy you ain't kidding there. They coulda had something great with the Sport Glide but everything seemed second hand on that bike.

Reactions: SFMC_Fester

·
Registered
50 Posts
Boy you ain't kidding there. They coulda had something great with the Sport Glide but everything seemed second hand on that bike.
The sport glide was pretty cool...BUT....not really worth a dang as a weekend tourer...the bags were OK in size, but the front end made no sense to me...the LR ST is what the Sport Glide should have been....

·
Registered
467 Posts
The sport glide was pretty cool...BUT....not really worth a dang as a weekend tourer...the bags were OK in size, but the front end made no sense to me...the LR ST is what the Sport Glide should have been....
Exactly. That was my thought when they finally released the LR ST.
I’ve always liked the idea of a mid sized bagger/touring bike. The original FXRT being along those lines. I think HD did a lot right with the new soft tail chassis and this ST is even more in that direction

·
Registered
429 Posts
Unless Harley does some work to the Revolution engine it will be a flop in a FL type chassis. I have a Pan America and love the performance, suspension(handling) and brakes…BUT…the engine does not make much torque AND the engine is VERY NOISY. The VVT top end makes a lot of mechanical noise and the engine has a resonance that is annoying as hell. Riding with a full face helmet AND ear plugs it was still fatiguing to ride the bike. I only have 1500 miles on the bike and have decided to sell it. Lots of potential for the RevMax engine but it will need some help to make it truly a good sport touring engine.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,945 Posts
Unless Harley does some work to the Revolution engine it will be a flop in a FL type chassis. I have a Pan America and love the performance, suspension(handling) and brakes…BUT…the engine does not make much torque AND the engine is VERY NOISY. The VVT top end makes a lot of mechanical noise and the engine has a resonance that is annoying as hell. Riding with a full face helmet AND ear plugs it was still fatiguing to ride the bike. I only have 1500 miles on the bike and have decided to sell it. Lots of potential for the RevMax engine but it will need some help to make it truly a good sport touring engine.
Well they wouldn't use that version of the Revolution Max engine in a FLH platform since it's only a 1250CC which is only 76 CI compared to the Power Plus which is a 108 CI. They bring the size up and that will take care of the torque aspect of it and then they can address the mechanical noises.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I got to test ride the new ST 117 a week or so ago. It was terrible. Terrible handling, not comfortable, engine felt okay, power wise, but felt foreign like a Honda or something, not American. And the price, holy f*** the dealer was asking 38k before taxes, fees, or setup. Clowns man. 🤡

·
Registered
Indian Chieftain Ltd 2018
317 Posts
Well they wouldn't use that version of the Revolution Max engine in a FLH platform since it's only a 1250CC which is only 76 CI compared to the Power Plus which is a 108 CI. They bring the size up and that will take care of the torque aspect of it and then they can address the mechanical noises.
they will, but not as soon, to avoid shocking their traditional customers.
I bet they're in full preparation of an american cruiser with softail chassis and the new engine in a revised cruiser setup. maybe a 1450cc that punches well above a polaris challenger.
They need to introduce a next gen cruiser on their own turf soon, anyway, while attacking the european neo-tourer on high-heels with the pan am.
My personal view of R&D funnel assumption.

·
4,945 Posts
they will, but not as soon, to avoid shocking their traditional customers.
I bet they're in full preparation of an american cruiser with softail chassis and the new engine in a revised cruiser setup. maybe a 1450cc that punches well above a polaris challenger.
They need to introduce a next gen cruiser on their own turf soon, anyway, while attacking the european neo-tourer on high-heels with the pan am.
My personal view of R&D funnel assumption.
Back in 2008 Harley was deep in developing a new family of engines around a DOHC V4 engine. It was called Project Overlord. The project was cancelled because of the housing market crash..
I agree with you the traditional Harley fan is both a blessing and a curse for them. Brad Richards who is the VP of design said they can push the designs as far as their customers will let them and judging by the interest in Pan America and Sportster S in the HD forum they would be stuck in the past. Their is hope because those two new models are bringing riders in from different brands and new enthusiasm to the brand the new CEO has said that the brand is now going to be more performance oriented. I would put money on it that a water-cooled based bagger and touring model will be out soon and I think Polaris for that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The RevMax will need major updates to do big heavy torque duty. Currently it will not do it. Engine makes big power but soft on the bottom.
we're in 2022, not 1989.
the updates won't need to be that big, anymore like it used to be and it'll pull the force better than a challenger.
No worries, it'll come.

·
4,945 Posts
They better bore and stroke it and change the cams to pick up 40 lb/ft of torque.
Of course they have to make a larger version of the Revolution Max engine since it’s only a 76 CI engine whereas the Challenger is 108 CI. With the additional size and VVT I think they could pick up some nice gains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Of course they have to make a larger version of the Revolution Max engine since it’s only a 76 CI engine whereas the Challenger is 108 CI. With the additional size and VVT I think they could pick up some nice gains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sorry, the challenger is smaller than the thunderstroke, and it works too. No need, unless for you personally. But again, this isn't a bike for me and you, it's for the neo_Bagger fans. And it'll work easily with 1250cc, if they want so. Anyway it doesn't matter to debate such details, that's up to the engineers and marketing guys at HD.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts