Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Founding Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a limited demo ride on the new Harley-Davidson Road Glide ST I was unimpressed. The 117 motor was snappy but the beefed up cams gave it a unpleasant vibe after a while(only at certain RPMs). Harley put the standard bags on for better lean angles vs the Specials stretched bags and the Road Kings rear shocks to give it more travel(3" vs 2.1"). I was hoping for a more compliant ride with new shocks(not really new to Harley just new to this bike) only to come away disappointed by the harsh ride. Granted this was a controlled ride( the dealer said nothing over 65mph on a bike with 9 miles on it) I got off the bike and walked away thinking don't worry Challenger you're still "King of the Baggers".

·
Registered
763 Posts
I loved the 2 Harley Road Glides I had prior to buying my Challenger. But after test riding a Challenger there is no way I would go back to a Road Glide. The Challenger rides better and is more "nimble". I think Indian really came up with a winner with their Challenger and slowly but surely a lot of Road Glide owners are finding this out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe the thought on these ST models was to build a bagger into more of a canyon carver not necessary something to crush highway miles so I can understand the absence of cruise on these.

·
Registered
'22 Challenger DH Jack Daniels - #69 of 107 / '20 Challenger Darkhorse - KST - Galfer - K&N filter
97 Posts
I believe the thought on these ST models was to build a bagger into more of a canyon carver not necessary something to crush highway miles so I can understand the absence of cruise on these.
I see your point, but it's still a RG, it still has a radio, etc. I'm sure they're not giving any discounts for it's absence. Could at least be an option.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Their promotional video calls it a blank canvas. A starting point for those who love to customize their bikes

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, I like carving canyons. But I gotta lot of miles to ride to get to the canyons LOL and that will include some boring interstates.

Just one man's opinion, but, I think cruise control is one of those features that after you try it you want it forever and I think HD screwed up by not including it on an expensive bike like that.

·
Registered
Indian Chieftain Ltd 2018
314 Posts
After a limited demo ride on the new Harley-Davidson Road Glide ST I was unimpressed. The 117 motor was snappy but the beefed up cams gave it a unpleasant vibe after a while(only at certain RPMs). Harley put the standard bags on for better lean angles vs the Specials stretched bags and the Road Kings rear shocks to give it more travel(3" vs 2.1"). I was hoping for a more compliant ride with new shocks(not really new to Harley just new to this bike) only to come away disappointed by the harsh ride. Granted this was a controlled ride( the dealer said nothing over 65mph on a bike with 9 miles on it) I got off the bike and walked away thinking don't worry Challenger you're still "King of the Baggers".
The ST are just STandard Models, restyled in many superficial gimmicks, and fitted with bigger engines. Neither is the suspension any new, nor the frame.
All they claim being more or better is based on the "less/lowered" Special.
They're freshly styled, maybe nicer, sportier in that sense, sure, the engine has a bit more pop, but that was the strong side of HD anyway - the more aggressive engines, compared to the more balanced thunderstrokes!
The Challenger is totally another ball-game and stands for itself. Yes, I get it fairing-mount - but that's overhyped argumentation... It's a different bike and HD has a lot of money to invest and many years ahead to bring their touring up to the Challenger Level.
What makes them comparable on Track is the Pro-Teams that treat the models like total-pro-racing-hacks unlimited modifications - zero comparison to the streetbikes - just zero.

What's better is what's better matching your taste and use case.
Both are great bikes.

Canyon carving? subjective, both can do - stock, both can be improved from stock, none is perfect, the challenger always will have the upper hand with its much more modern chassis.
But, the Harley has an unlimited market-support with gear and suspension solutions, no Indian, even the well appreciated Scout has. Accessories? HD wins flat-out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
HD is still putting lipstick on a pig, but their new 1250 Pan American motor is impressive but lacks torque, I feel that for them to compete with the Challenger they need to take that motor, put bigger heads, bring it up to a 1600cc and put it in a RG with legends suspension, inverted forks and Brembo breaks standard in order to compete. That I feel would be a pretty bad ass bike. But by the time they do that, Polaris will have come up with the 7th generation motor for the Challenger and it all begins again.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
283 Posts
….rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it…..just sayin’

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'd say the suspension will soften up with some miles on the Road Glide. I rode a Challenger and I don't know I wanted to really like it but wasn't impressed. I'd like to see some good head to head tests and maybe a race...
It's already been done, several times. Cycle world dyno tested them, only the 131 can match the Challenger in power and speed. Stock vs stock the Challenger is in am entirely different class, RG can't compete. The 131 and Challenger had a 1mph difference in the 1/4 mile and some like 0.01 to .02 difference in the 1/4 mile time if I recall. I made a video about it after some dipshit was trying to trash talk the challenger.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,942 Posts
They do have cruise control but they didn't include it in the specs. A YouTuber bought one and he confirmed it had cruise.
The ST models were brought out to ride the wave of the King of the Baggers championship. I don't consider these as performance baggers until they go to a different frame with a mono shock rear suspension and inverted front forks.
That being said I believe one is on the way with a version the Revolution Max engine in it

·
Registered
'22 Challenger DH Jack Daniels - #69 of 107 / '20 Challenger Darkhorse - KST - Galfer - K&N filter
97 Posts
The ST models were brought out to ride the wave of the King of the Baggers championship. I don't consider these as performance baggers until they go to a different frame with a mono shock rear suspension and inverted front forks.
That being said I believe one is on the way with a version the Revolution Max engine in it
You're not wrong, but we're talking HD here, lol.

Reactions: Super Jute

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It's already been done, several times. Cycle world dyno tested them, only the 131 can match the Challenger in power and speed. Stock vs stock the Challenger is in am entirely different class, RG can't compete. The 131 and Challenger had a 1mph difference in the 1/4 mile and some like 0.01 to .02 difference in the 1/4 mile time if I recall. I made a video about it after some dipshit was trying to trash talk the challenger.
I guess I need to put more miles on a Challenger, but I'm a drag racer and a .01/.02 with stock tires and anything manually shifted is nothing. Easily be a rider difference. The Challenger didn't feel all that great to me. I like my Chieftain better. Honestly I like the Road glide better as far as just riding. I need to revisit the Challenger on another test ride this year. I honestly was trying to figure out how I'd buy a Challenger untill I rode one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well they already have two Challengers at the Harley PDC center and they have stated that they are going to be more performance oriented and the Sportster S is a prime example.
IMHO, I think we're a while from seeing a Revolution style motor in a Road Glide, yet closer than if the Challenger had never come around. No one on a RG is wishing they had a Revolution motor in their bike that I have met. In fact, many despise the idea. Where they're going to improve first is the chassis. That is the main reason people switch to even a Challenger is the ride from what I have seen. KOTB is a prime example. Power isn't what HD is lacking because there is gobs of aftermarket support for that. It's just easier to acquire on a Challenger/PPlus.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts