Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new bike. I’m coming from a R6s. I want something more fun and comfortable for the street but something that is also still somewhat aggressive.
I have it narrowed down between the monster 1200s and Indian FTRs.

I was able to test ride the FTR and it had loads of torque. I’ve never road a bike with so much torque. My concerns are that it is not aggressive enough for the twisites. Also the new 2022 I test road stalled twice at red lights for no reason.

I’m not sure if I can find a Monster 1200s to test ride. However the bike is sexy( the new 2022 model monster is hideous). My concern about the monster is it’s to much for the street. I don’t want a super bike turned into a street fighter. Will the 1200s have torque like the FTR without having to go break neck speeds. Last, i am also concerned because it seems this will be the last model year for the 1200s.

So Monster 1200s vs Indian FTR s? Thoughts?

·
Bronze member
3,064 Posts
I have a 17 Monster 1200S and have ridden the old and new version of the FTR. The FTR is more comfortable (to me) because of a more upright riding position. I added 2” risers to my Monster’s bars to get more upright, but keep in mind I’m 62, so my tolerance for riding crouched over is probably less than yours. The FTR is a better bike to ride around town and from stoplight to stoplight. My Monster, even in Urban mode, likes to go fast, it isn’t the bike for slow speed/around town. The one thing missing on the FTR is a quick shifter/clutchless shifting, which the Monster has. However, I’m sure you can add this with an aftermarket kit.

My Monster has about 150 HP and the FTR about 120, if I recall. I don’t know your skill level, but for me, I can’t ride the Monster and use all its HP. On twisties, I imagine you’d hang with the crowd on an FTR. Keeping up on twisties has more to do with skill level than HP anyway.

Lastly, you really need to ride both and decide for yourself. For the way I ride, the FTR would probably be a better choice - for me. However, I don’t know if I could give up the sexiness of my Ducati. I was at brewpub yesterday and had my Monster parked out front…I always enjoy looking out the window at those who stop and gawk.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
327 Posts
Consider cost of ownership. A Monster has 18k mile valve checks can be very expensive, think of it as a tax of between 60 to 90 dollars per 1000 miles driven. They are amazing sounding and while I only test rode the Ducatis I have ridden the dealer was quick to point out that cost up front. They even had the full service schedule and hours on the wall for some time as they did not want unhappy customers.

I have not ridden the FTR, the original generation was too tall for me to be comfortable

·
Registered
236 Posts
Consider cost of ownership. A Monster has 18k mile valve checks can be very expensive, think of it as a tax of between 60 to 90 dollars per 1000 miles driven. They are amazing sounding and while I only test rode the Ducatis I have ridden the dealer was quick to point out that cost up front. They even had the full service schedule and hours on the wall for some time as they did not want unhappy customers.

I have not ridden the FTR, the original generation was too tall for me to be comfortable
More people should self service their bikes. Cost of ownership in so called expensive brands ends up not being any worse cost wise.

Tough choice you have if it looks anything like the red one above^^

Owning an FTR I’m partial to it and think the sun shines out its wastepipe (I’ll never sell it) but wouldn’t mind adding one of the naked Ducatis to my shed. With you being familiar with Yamaha, have you looked at something like their FZ07?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I loved my Monster...more than any bike I've owned. Had an S2r.
Nothing as sexy as a red Duck.

The $1000 service every 12000 miles killed the deal last time I looked to buy a new bike.

That would be $1000 a YEAR on top of everything else. Can't do it.

Harley has the right idea with their new bike. Hydraulic lifters, like 99.9% of modern engines. Maybe try riding that one. 150 horses, i believe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’ve looked at the my-09. I hear it’s a great hooligans bike but the thing is hideous lol
Not for everyone for sure. I don’t think they are ugly but just looks like a run of the mill Japanese bike. Ducatis (and the FTRs) are on another level in the looks department though.

One thing worth considering, the Ducati 1200S is 100lbs lighter with more horesepower and more torque. However, the FTR is balanced really well doesn't feel heavy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to update. Was finally able to test ride the monster 1200. The monster certainly has more power but for some reason the FTR felt like it had more torque even tho the numbers say otherwise. I can’t think of why other then the FTR lacks horsepower so you can just wring it’s throttle to go ( the whole funner to ride a slow bike fast thing).

anyway after testing both I still can’t decide. The Ducati dealer is giving me a decent deal and 1k more for my trade.

I can’t get the Indian dealer to move off msrp or crate fee. And they are offering less for my trade.

shouldn’t buying a bike be easier ??lol

·
Bronze member
3,064 Posts
Just to update. Was finally able to test ride the monster 1200. The monster certainly has more power but for some reason the FTR felt like it had more torque even tho the numbers say otherwise. I can’t think of why other then the FTR lacks horsepower so you can just wring it’s throttle to go ( the whole funner to ride a slow bike fast thing).

anyway after testing both I still can’t decide. The Ducati dealer is giving me a decent deal and 1k more for my trade.

I can’t get the Indian dealer to move off msrp or crate fee. And they are offering less for my trade.

shouldn’t buying a bike be easier ??lol
If you’re getting a $1k better deal on the Duc, you won’t be disappointed. You’ve got to make your own decision, but I’d go with the Monster.

·
Registered
2018 Scout ABS. 2019 Scout ABS 2014 Road King. And just totalled a new FTR
266 Posts
Having owned a first gen Monster and ridden a few of the newer Ducs, and having owned and loved an FTR ... my vote would be Monster 1200. But you should hit the Duc forums and take a hard look at maintenance costs and current gremlins. Know what you're getting into. After I totalled the FTR I looked closely at the new Speed Triple 1200 and the Monster 1200. But with both (especially the new Speed Triple) there are hidden costs. Is it worth it? That'd be up to you. Long-tern costs aside ... nothing rides like a naked Duc. Maybe the Tuono.

When I win the lottery (which is my retirement plan ... that or state prison) Imma have a Tuono and A V4 streetfighter in the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts