Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Super Chief Pearl White
11 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I just got back from the dealer and they basically told me this. So glad it's not dangerous.

·
Senior member / rider
1,488 Posts
I knew I heard rattling noises when I demo'ed a couple of Chiefs.

I had a Bonneville that did similar thing. Later models didn't do it, of at least no where near as much.

I wonder if Polaris assumed no one would *****?

·
Rider
910 Posts
There is a small noise that comes from the front forks but there is something rattling inside my gas tank which I isolated by putting a screwdriver gently in and shaking the suspension.The sound is almost eliminated. My guess is the high pressure pump filter or a misaligned pick-up.
Good luck getting them to look at it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some of us have reported hearing a clanking noise from the front forks at low speed. This is the Indian Service Advisory regarding this issue. View attachment 638896
I get a low metallic klinking sound on my 2019 Indian Chief Vintage usually at low rpm's but it don't seem to be hurting performance any? I just figure it is the nature of the beast. :unsure: 🐺

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I had the same annoying clanking noise. It was driving me crazy how loud it was especially at lower speed on a bumpy road. I removed the fender and the noise completely went away. I solved the issue be putting automotive sound deadening film on the bottom of the fender and reinstalled. It's almost unnoticeable now. I can't believe Indian didn't use a spray on or stick on film under the fender to eliminate the resonance from the valve in the forks. It's unbelievable how much the fender amplified the sound. It's a simple fix. and used universally in cars to take away rattles and provide sound deadening. Now the front end sounds solid the way it should. I'm sure I'm not the only one affected, hope this helps.
Al
2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the same annoying clanking noise. It was driving me crazy how loud it was especially at lower speed on a bumpy road. I removed the fender and the noise completely went away. I solved the issue be putting automotive sound deadening film on the bottom of the fender and reinstalled. It's almost unnoticeable now. I can't believe Indian didn't use a spray on or stick on film under the fender to eliminate the resonance from the valve in the forks. It's unbelievable how much the fender amplified the sound. It's a simple fix. and used universally in cars to take away rattles and provide sound deadening. Now the front end sounds solid the way it should. I'm sure I'm not the only one effected, hope this helps.
Al
2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse
Hello Al, Perfect!!! Is it possible for you to post a picture of your solution to see exactly how it is done? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hello Al, Perfect!!! Is it possible for you to post a picture of your solution to see exactly how it is done? Thanks
Ill be home this weekend and I'll put up a picture. You can get Dynamat or Kilmat sound deadening on Amazon. I also thought about having a local shop that does spray on truck bed liners do a thick coat on the bottom but I figured this was the quickest.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
[/QUOTE

Hi Will, here's a picture. You could probably get away with just a strip on the top but I just did the whole thing. I would recommend getting the rollers on the side they make putting the mat down evenly much easier. You could spray black but you can't see any of it when installed on the bike. Hope this helps
Al.

Wood Outdoor shoe Font Sneakers Art

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thank you Aldup

·
Registered
2022 Indian chief dark horse
7 Posts
My 2022 chief has about 350 miles on it and today I clipped a hard bump 🤦🏼‍♂️ So now I have this clank in my suspension. If someone can help I'd appreciate it. If I knew how to post videos I would post it

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 22 Super Chief does have the fork issue in the service bulletin. It is scheduled for the Indian repair this coming Tuesday. I'll report back how it goes.

I think my issue has maxed out, ie not getting worse. But it's pretty bad. It literally sounds like there is a bunch of loose metal in the forks every time I hit even the slightest bumps, regardless of speed. It's actually embarrassing to me at lower speeds because I'm just certain people can hear it. But maybe not. It could just be my fender amplifying it and piping it up to the rider's ears.

·
Senior member / rider
1,488 Posts
My 22 Super Chief does have the fork issue in the service bulletin. It is scheduled for the Indian repair this coming Tuesday. I'll report back how it goes.

I think my issue has maxed out, ie not getting worse. But it's pretty bad. It literally sounds like there is a bunch of loose metal in the forks every time I hit even the slightest bumps, regardless of speed. It's actually embarrassing to me at lower speeds because I'm just certain people can hear it. But maybe not. It could just be my fender amplifying it and piping it up to the rider's ears.
What's the Indian repair?
Whatever it is, I hope it works. Please keep us posted.
I've demo'ed Super Chief a couple of times. The rattle from the forks is off-putting enough for me to wait for a real resolution.

·
Bronze member
2,236 Posts

Ditto, what is the repair. And, good luck with the fix. Mine is getting worse.

·
Registered
2022 Indian chief dark horse
7 Posts

Today I went to my Indian dealer and they said its most likely something broke inside the fork like the composite valve for the fork. I will update you guys when I get the final diagnosis.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I now have 5600 miles on my Chief Bobber DH. If anything the noise coming from the bypass valve in the front suspension is less noticeable than when the bike was brand new. It seem to have gotten quieter as the suspension broke in. Even if there eventually is a “free fix” from Indian, I will not be making a special trip to the dealership for the service. I won’t take my bike off the road or leave it for such a small issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get a low metallic klinking sound on my 2019 Indian Chief Vintage usually at low rpm's but it don't seem to be hurting performance any? I just figure it is the nature of the beast. :unsure:
Same here. 2021 Indian Chief Vintage.
Klinking sound from srony part of the motorcycle during rapid acceleration on first/second gear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The repair is to replace the fork tubes and then basically a fork rebuild with gaskets, etc. Mine is done, but I have not picked it up yet, and likely won't until tomorrow, so I don't know the outcome. Stand by!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts