Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard anything in regards to any changes, enhancements, improvements, ETC., in regards to the 2021 Scout line? I’m just wondering if anyone in the know has heard anything or if the 2021s will simply be 2020s with perhaps ‘bold new colors’ as the only upgrade.

My 2020 Scout will likely have around 25,000 on the odometer by season’s end and I need to decide whether to trade it in while it still has some value, or continue riding it until it doesn’t.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
While it is true the monetary value drops, sometimes faster than we would like, these things weren't bought for their investment value. Not if you ride it. It will bottom out to a certain value at a certain time. It will always have some value, either monetarily or personal for you.

I had a 2001 Honda Shadow ACE that I rode for 17 years. Bought it new for $6,000. I got $2,000 when I sold it. The guy that bought it had just totaled his ACE a few months back and was glad to get it. For me, monetary. For him, pleasure. Value.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
Motorcycles make for poor investments usually. I buy mine to ride the crap out of it for 4 or 5 years than I get another one. Depreciation sucks but I at least understand it's part of the game.

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
Has anyone heard anything in regards to any changes, enhancements, improvements, ETC., in regards to the 2021 Scout line? I’m just wondering if anyone in the know has heard anything or if the 2021s will simply be 2020s with perhaps ‘bold new colors’ as the only upgrade.
My 2020 Scout will likely have around 25,000 on the odometer by season’s end and I need to decide whether to trade it in while it still has some value, or continue riding it until it doesn’t.
Why trade it in at 25K? That's an Indian engine. It will run strong for 1-200,000 miles I am sure. If I were a current Scout guy I would only trade it in if had a slightly larger gas tank and a fuel gauge so I don't have to calc the miles to empty in my head.

That was my favorite improvement on the new Chiefs. No more I was at 28,232 so plus 135 miles I need to fuel up at 28,367. Oh wait maybe I was at 28,242, or was it 52. This is what you go through on the Gilroy era Indian and EVO Harleys...

Seriously though, I doubt they change much. The Scouts sell well and are affordable. But, the lack of fuel gauge is the biggest complaint that the average owner can't fix with mods.

We all know the rear shock, seat, tires, and handlebar buzz, but those can all be addressed through customization. A fuel gauge cannot.

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
Why is not having a fuel gauge a huge trigger to some folks ??

not many people will run out of gas at 100 miles, so just fill up at 100

...and if you ride like a dick, stop and fill up at 75 miles...

a gas gauge shouldn't stop anyone from buying a bike...

·
Registered
884 Posts

I don’t get it either. The odo is way more accurate at small volumes.

·
Registered
489 Posts

I agree who regularly rides more than 150 miles without stretching their legs, using a bathroom or getting food/drinks?

·
Bronze member
3,400 Posts

for people that don't understand modern bikes... you've already blown past any acceptable mileage to them... so unless 21 has something that blows you away keep riding...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gas Gauge??? I've been riding for 45 yrs, never had one, just used trip odo. My Chieftain has one, but I rarely look at it, still use the trip meter. And my Scout (2020) is fun the way it is, they fixed most issues with shocks upgraded as well as brakes and tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just reserved a 2020 Bobber so I will be waiting a few weeks for it. Just curious, is there a low gas warning? I understand no gauge, never had one either but I think I have always either had a Reserve switch or a warning indicator at some gas level. I have always used odo as well, just curious...and anxiously awaiting delivery of my new Bobber (Deepwater). Thanks!
J-

·
Silver member
3,599 Posts
I just reserved a 2020 Bobber so I will be waiting a few weeks for it. Just curious, is there a low gas warning? I understand no gauge, never had one either but I think I have always either had a Reserve switch or a warning indicator at some gas level. I have always used odo as well, just curious...and anxiously awaiting delivery of my new Bobber (Deepwater). Thanks!
J-
Yes, Scouts have always had a low fuel indicator light.

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just get gasoline for my Scout at anywhere from 100 to 110 miles on the trip odometer. I can probably go further than that based upon what that gallons to fill-up are. I still would rather error on the safe side so that's why I do it that way.
I’ve gotten 172 miles on my Scout from a full tank including every drop of reserve. Check out Route 11 in Maine on a map some day. The gas station I had been banking on was closed and my GPS couldn’t pick up a signal to direct me to one off route. About an hour later there was nothing on that road but bears, moose, and one broken down Indian Scout.

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
Gas gage? Set the trip odameter to 0 at fill up.At around 100 miles gas up again'

Same as looking at a gas gage.50 miles on trip od would be about 1/2 a tank.

This has worked well for my wife on her Scout 60.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts