Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

2021 Scout Front Tire Losing Air

1310 38
Hi, Folks. I've put off posting this until I exhausted all other tries to find the issue with this damn tire.

I bought this bike in the Spring of last year and it's been the case since shortly after I brought it home from the dealer: The front tire seems to lose air pressure at a ridiculous rate compared to the rear. Getting a damn sight colder now so one expects the pressure to be lower if it's been sitting, but after staying put for five cold days the front had lost almost 12psi while the rear only lost 1.1psi.

I've had the local Polaris dealer check for a front leak, and they found nothing. I just got back from the Indian dealership in Halifax, NS, and they could find no leak either, so I've got to finally ask the group: Is this some kind of known issue with Scout front wheels or tires, specifically the stock Pirelli Night Dragons I've had on since I bought it? I'm just around the 5500km mark on the bike now, and would appreciate any input. Cheers.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,878 Posts
If it's that much of a biggie as a process of elimination simply change the tire and valve.

Reactions: Pointless Comment

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,878 Posts
'Biggie' is inconvenience to yourself.

Not heard of any issues with the wheels whatsoever. Two trips to the dealerships and continually having to add air is not right and I agree. What other choice do you have? Keep adding air or try to find out the cause? If you want to keep the tire you've got, you're going to have to keep adding air until it either gets worse or the tire either gives out or wears out. I know what I would do as it is such a critical component, and it is the next step in solving the issue. Unless you can tube the tire which I am unsure about unless you have laced wheels then change the tube regardless.

Reactions: WENDIGO

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,878 Posts
Not sure but don't think tires are unless there is a manufacturing defect. Good luck!

Reactions: WENDIGO

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And gawd knows how they'd bugger me over in costs checking for a defect in the tire or rim. I'm just amazed two techs checked it for leaks and could find none; the Indian dealership in my province is the height of incompetence so I loathe going back there for anything, and the Polaris dealer told me they can do warranty work but I'd have to recoup the cost from the Indian dealership where I bought the bike. Arghz.

Thanks for chiming in, K9F.

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,878 Posts
No worries Wanderlustus. No intent on giving you a hard time but in this case seeking a resolution yourself would be the simplest route after two trips to dealerships without resolution. If you have a decent tire shop near you go 'sound them out' as to what your options are. Personally, my money is on either a tube or tire change myself. Did they remove the wheel for diagnosis or simply use leak detector I wonder.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally, my money is on either a tube or tire change myself. Did they remove the wheel for diagnosis or simply use leak detector I wonder.
That I don't know, but I assume the latter, trying to keep the tech time down. Frankly, I don't even know if these are tubed tires. Also, I'm on an island and of the three mechanical outfits none of them will work on a bike, so I always have to ferry to the main to the Polaris dealer; 3 - 4 hours each way. Wish I was more mechanically minded but alas . . . I just ride the bloody things. :< >

Time to try for a bit more kip. Been up since 0300 and it's just closing on 0530. Thanks again for the input, K9F. BTW, love that quote.

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,878 Posts
I had a look at the pictures you posted historically of your nice blue Scout. I would assume as you have cast wheels, they are tubeless tires it would also say on the tire itself. Only asking but did you get your slightly overdue service done? If not, you could perhaps combine the service and tire issue?

Feels like we are the only two people on the forum at the moment. 🤣

Reactions: Jjkidd

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a look at the pictures you posted historically of your nice blue Scout. I would assume as you have cast wheels, they are tubeless tires it would also say on the tire itself. Only asking but did you get your slightly overdue service done? If not, you could perhaps combine the service and tire issue?

Feels like we are the only two people on the forum at the moment. 🤣
HAR! Looks like, eh? Yeah, I just had that 4000km service done at 5500km, and the Indian Motorcycle tech was the second one that checked for a leak. Like I say, it was likely only a leak detector thing, as I was basically lucky to get the service done at all this time of year, and that jammed into a couple of hours; Autumn has every Tom, Dick, and Harry bringing their Winter toys in. Currently they're backed up three weeks, so basically they took pity on me because of where I bought my bike (the Dieppe dealership really is that feckin' bad) and did me a favour getting it sorted.

And now I really am going to lie down before my head hits the keyboard. Cheers.

· Registered
410 Posts
My money would be on a leaking valve or a piece of crud on the rim/tire seating surface. It doesn't take much..few grains of sand on the bead will slowly leak air. If you are already at 5500k on the tires, I'd probably just put up with it a little longer (another 2k or so) and then put a new tire and valve on rather than having the same one remounted. I'm gonna guess that they just sprayed some detergent on it or dunked it in water for a few seconds, didn't see any bubbles, and then said it was fine. Works for a big leak but not for something slow and small....

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds like a plan to me, Pointless, and I'm sure you're right about the leak check. I've read these Night Dragons are good for 10 - 12,000km so maybe paying Polaris to put a new valve in in Spring would seem to make more sense to me; I hate to buy new tires if I don't need to, but I'd be extra pissed if I had the valve changed and still ended up losing air to a faulty tire.

· Registered
63 Posts
Removing the front wheel is amongst the easiest tasks to be done on these bikes. This might be a good time to learn a few wrenching skills. Remove the wheel and do it in the soapiest water you can muster and look for bubbles. If there is a hole in the tire, you already have the wheel off to get a discount tire replacement.

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,878 Posts
Used to use Snoops on aircraft looking for pitot/static leaks. Better to drop the wheel and stick it in the bath.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks, folks . . . but it's starting to get cold outdoors round these parts about now, and I have no garage to work in. Maybe I can start doing some poking about on my bike when we finally get the structure built, but gawd knows when that will be.

· Registered
2018 Indian Scout
272 Posts
Thanks, folks . . . but it's starting to get cold outdoors round these parts about now, and I have no garage to work in. Maybe I can start doing so poking about on my bike when we finally get the structure built, but gawd knows when that will be.
As @K9F said, run some water in your bathtub, add some Dawn dish soap, and look for air bubbles as you rotate the tire in the tub. It will show you any leaks. You may have a small nail in the tread part, or as has been mentioned, dirt or a foreign substance on the bead/rim, or a faulty schrader valve. Wherever it is leaking from, first air it up to about 50-55 psi, and then check it. Don’t forget to lower the pressure before riding.
A plus, you can scrub the front wheel and rim clean after you check it lol.
Charlie

1 - 20 of 39 Posts