Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed my '21 RM does not start with bike in gear and clutch pulled in; this is inconsistant with owners manual and past bikes. Is this a mechanical or electrical issue? (Yes, it does it with kickstand already up in riding position)

·
German Rider
2,449 Posts
yes it starts in neutral with kickstand up or down, bike will shut off if kickstand is down and put in gear.
THAT sounds normal to me. Neutral kickstand up or down, it starts.
Gear, clutch pulled, kickstand up, it starts
Gear, clutch pulled, kickstand down, it stalls or won't start.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: square_leg

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Mine used to start in gear as long as the kick stand is up. When it wouldn't start, l had to replace the clutch switch.

Indian gets over forty bucks for it, not installed. If you could cross-reference it should be less than a dollar.

I believe it's made by Cherry. I need another one 😩

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Founding member
2,393 Posts
As Baron said earlier, possible bad clutch switch. But also check to be sure the cable is fully seated/connected to the switch. Sometimes pranksters (or a tech while doing maintenance) will disconnect the wire and leave it sitting in the switch connector (unconnected) ... press it into the switch until it is fully seated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well turns out the switch came unplugged from the switch box , probably when I fiddled with the lever assembly a few weeks ago when I swapped in the powerband speakers, took me half hour just to figure where to plug it back in, you can’t see the receptacle easily from above the perch plus it is keyed connector.
BTW, not sure on older models but in my 2021 the clutch switch is held in with two tiny torx screws, maybe T5 or T7, Which I did not have a tool for.
$80 switch is list price from Indian.

All good now 🥃👊

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was having intermittent cruise control functioning along with a check engine light with code 598 showing on the display of my 16 SF. Turns out to be the clutch switch. $80 plus a little labor at the dealership and all is well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts