Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,054 Posts
Chieftain Classic is now gone from the line up with it's classic fairing and valanced fenders, only Indian with Valanced fenders is the Springfield.

Recently read a post by a Chieftain owner that said the newer fairing does not offer as good of wind management as well as the Chieftain Classic fairing does.
the Vintage and Vintage DH and the Roadmaster still have the valanced... the base Chieftain is only available in the 111 this year... and what the hell is this kick with all the matte paint? and basically the Challenger just changed VINs to 2021... which I suppose is to be expected I did hope for a different color tho… I do like the Roadmaster Limited but if I went the Roadmaster route it would still be the classic

Reactions: Kost

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Where was that mentioned? Thanks
it wasn’t mentioned, but the pictures show it. The cable is no longer sandwiched between the down tube and engine and the adjustment is at the bottom of the clutch cover housing thus the different look.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
They did what I feared. The Chieftain Classic is gone. Expect the Road Master with the Classic fairing to be gone in a year....or maybe two.

They won’t be making two styles of fairings too much longer. Two expensive. I like Indian a lot but you can really see the cost cutting going into effect over the years they have been in business. I was told they did the same thing with Victory.

They are in the business of making money.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If Indian doesn't make money, they might.... go out of business! :oops::rolleyes: But yes, too much cost cutting does not help the brand.

The locomotive fairing is almost gone; just a couple of Roadmasters still have it.

Wish they had an FTR with a bigger gas tank, but I know I'm probably in the minority on that, apparently.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
You have seen it in the auto industry for years. The newer Indian look is more "generic" because it appeals to a larger audience. Victory was a good example of love and hate and that translated to poor sales and market saturation. The bikes design was very original and too extreme for mass consumption. Always remember just because you think something looks great, doesn't mean others do.

The classic Indian design or retro was initially well received especially buy the older audience. But now to reach a larger audience the classic design has to change and it has.

What is funny here is many people talk about how Harley is stuck in the past and hasn't embraced "new" designs etc and how customers are holding them hostage.

Well think about it, Polaris has learned from this and is not going to continue to make antique styled bikes in large numbers. The Vintage, and classic styled bikes sat at dealers until they were heavily discounted. The sales aren't there anymore.

What people need to realize is Indian is not valanced fenders and fringe, that was a cosmetic design. If you listen carefully to a lot of public comments from Indian and their marketing videos they talk about moving forward in design, but still remembering the past.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well said! Embrace change people. You still have some old with the new. If indian did something people would complain...don’t do anything riders complain...some are just never happy

·
Registered
232 Posts
They did what I feared. The Chieftain Classic is gone. Expect the Road Master with the Classic fairing to be gone in a year....or maybe two.

They won’t be making two styles of fairings too much longer. Two expensive. I like Indian a lot but you can really see the cost cutting going into effect over the years they have been in business. I was told they did the same thing with Victory.

They are in the business of making money.
If Indian is trying to phase out the classic Roadmaster, they have a funny way of showing it. Six colors including three icon colors? That's the same as the CDH. Only the Scouts have more.

·
Bronze member
3,054 Posts
What is funny here is many people talk about how Harley is stuck in the past and hasn't embraced "new" designs etc and how customers are holding them hostage.
except they copied hardly's design so yes it's new to Indian but the design has been around for decades... the Challenger, Scout and FTR are original designs and other than the FTR are selling well.. and as far as the original Chieftain goes it was very original other than the Valanced fender... first Indian with a fairing and first Indian with hard bags... in 2017 they came out with the Limited to appease the so called masses on the love it or leave it fender... I've said it a million times if they would have kept the turn signals in the fairing it would have been enough to be a "original" design..

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
99 Posts
Take heart fellow riders, if you have an old Chieftain like me with Locomotive fairing, your bike just went up in value.
Obviously Polaris is going to shelve the old look within a few years , they will make one or two older styles but the new look will prevail .

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was looking at the Corbin for my 2017 Roadmaster how’s the comfort? Does the cooling option really work good?
The cooling basically counters the engine heat. I consider it a win. The stock rm saddle was torture for me. I’m 6’2” and it just feels like it pushing me into the gas tank. Unpleasant. The Corbin is firm. I didn’t think it would be comfortable, but after doing some 6-8 hour rides I really appreciated it. Corbin also tells me it won’t really break in for a month or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The cooling basically counters the engine heat. I consider it a win. The stock rm saddle was torture for me. I’m 6’2” and it just feels like it pushing me into the gas tank. Unpleasant. The Corbin is firm. I didn’t think it would be comfortable, but after doing some 6-8 hour rides I really appreciated it. Corbin also tells me it won’t really break in for a month or two.
Thank you for the info! That’s what I’m looking for. Will be making the purchase!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If Indian is trying to phase out the classic Roadmaster, they have a funny way of showing it. Six colors including three icon colors? That's the same as the CDH. Only the Scouts have more.
I hope you are right. But with every year fewer bikes have the classic fairing and now they are down to only one model.

People made the same comment when the chieftain classic was offered saying it showed they were going to continue offering the classic fairing as an option in the Chieftain (I just bought a Chieftain with the classic fairing and in an icon color), but now that’s gone.

Only time will tell but since it costs more to make the classic fairing, I don’t think it will be around much longer.

Remember in 2020 they offered the Chieftain Classic in five colors and three were in the icon colors! And now it’s gone.

So it looks like just because they offer it in multiple colors it isn’t an indicator that the are keeping the model. In fact, looking at last year it can be seen as an indicator that it is going away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hope you are right. But with every year fewer bikes have the classic fairing and now they are down to only one model.

People made the same comment when the chieftain classic was offered saying it showed they were going to continue offering the classic fairing as an option in the Chieftain (I just bought a Chieftain with the classic fairing and in an icon color), but now that’s gone.

Only time will tell but since it costs more to make the classic fairing, I don’t think it will be around much longer.

Remember in 2020 they offered the Chieftain Classic in five colors and three were in the icon colors! And now it’s gone.

So it looks like just because they offer it in multiple colors it isn’t an indicator that the are keeping the model. In fact, looking at last year it can be seen as an indicator that it is going away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, two things: 1) It seems to me (from the forum anyway) that the RM Classic is more popular than the Chieftain Classic. Maybe that will change with the RM being offered in Dark Horse and Limited models, but it still seems like a fairly popular bike. 2) Yes the Chieftain Classic came in 5 colors last year, three of them icon, but you could sense the company was winding that model down when they offered it in only two standard colors AND did NOT put the 116 in it like they did the RM Classic. I think this latter point is more telling than the colors actually; it takes more effort and engineering to add a bigger motor than a new slab of paint. Not adding the 116 to the Chieftain Classic when they added it to every other Chieftain, the Springfield DH, and the RMs said to me “yes we’re likely gonna dump this model.” In that regard, I think the Springfield Classic could be the next to go, before the RM Classic anyway.

Of course, I wish they’d keep all these bikes, and perhaps jettisoning the Chieftain Classic was a cost-saving move needed this year because of the pandemic and people buying less of pretty much everything. My hope is that, at least every now and then, they’ll bring the Classic back in a limited color or two. But maybe it’s gone for good.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts