Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
But Roadmaster costs $4000 more! Of course it includes lots of useful stuff, but... I really disappointed that they killed Chieftain with original streamliner fairing. It was one of the design key features of all modern Indians
I don't disagree. I mean, the Roadmaster base is probably a better deal if you were planning to add a trunk anyway, but not so much if you weren't. Personally my complaints about the 2021 lineup are not in the additions, but in the deletions. Chieftain classic, basic black colors on the Chief Vintage and Springfield, no 111 or larger option without bags, etc. Luckily I decided that I was happy with the Springfield the way it was and snapped up a 2020 in black, so I am set.

·
Bronze member
2,149 Posts
They have opened up room for a cruiser between Scout and Vintage!

Chief Classic gone long time ago ... Chief DH gone now.

Lets hope it will be PP108 powered

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Rider
832 Posts
Bet they’re saving the real news for October/November (if there is any)...
Still praying for a high output water cooled inline 4 cylinder Tourer...can only dream and keep praying. =)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,314 Posts
Still praying for a high output water cooled inline 4 cylinder Tourer...can only dream and keep praying. =)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
Keep dreaming and praying Kost! Won't happen.....very expensive engine to manufacturer. the PP108 is the engine of today....and tomorrow for Polaris....at least for the foreseeable future.

·
Bronze Member
1,561 Posts
It was said by some on here a couple of years ago that the chieftain's new style fairing and bags were the beginning of the end of the classic look. Some said that they were just giving you options. So much for options.

·
Bronze member
3,654 Posts
It was said by some on here a couple of years ago that the chieftain's new style fairing and bags were the beginning of the end of the classic look. Some said that they were just giving you options. So much for options.

It all about what sells. If the classic looking bikes sold like hotcakes they still would be here. But the reality the classic looking bikes just don't excite the masses. Yes I know many here are passionate about it, but majority and money decide.

Many guys I knew were interested in Indian told me that they didn't like the classic "Antique" styling and Polaris also did market research which also showed the same thing. When they went to the open Fender/Wheel on the chieftain in 2017, sales took off.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I can see sales of more modern looking bikes being higher, but the classic styling was what really attracted me to Indian. I hope they keep some of it around, even if it isn't the majority of the product line. Even if they made the parts options, so you couls turn a limited into a classic or similar.

·
Bronze Member
1,561 Posts
It all about what sells. If the classic looking bikes sold like hotcakes they still would be here. But the reality the classic looking bikes just don't excite the masses. Yes I know many here are passionate about it, but majority and money decide.

Many guys I knew were interested in Indian told me that they didn't like the classic "Antique" styling and Polaris also did market research which also showed the same thing. When they went to the open Fender/Wheel on the chieftain in 2017, sales took off.
I realize that their survey of prospective buyers pushed them away from the classic design. However, they also must realize that current owners are prospective buyers. Not everyone wants a matte earth tone colored blacked-out batwing fairing SG looking thing with a ton of whiz-bang techno junk incorporated into it, just like not everyone is enamored with the odd looking insectoid naked bikes.

I do plan on purchasing another new bike sometime down the road. However, I'll keep riding my 2014 chieftain for a while. Heck, I rode my last bike for 18 years. But, when I do decide to buy another bike it probably won't be another chieftain.

Providing the optional parts to convert to a classic model would not be prudent for I/P to offer. We all know how spendy their tourpack is and I wouldn't want to imagine how much a conversion would cost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I think they are trying to balance the past and the future at the same time. I think they will continue to create designs that give a nod to the past, while also looking to the future to appeal to younger riders.

I realize that their survey of prospective buyers pushed them away from the classic design. However, they also must realize that current owners are prospective buyers. Not everyone wants a matte earth tone colored blacked-out batwing fairing SG looking thing with a ton of whiz-bang techno junk incorporated into it, just like not everyone is enamored with the odd looking insectoid naked bikes.

I do plan on purchasing another new bike sometime down the road. However, I'll keep riding my 2014 chieftain for a while. Heck, I rode my last bike for 18 years. But, when I do decide to buy another bike it probably won't be another chieftain.

Providing the optional parts to convert to a classic model would not be prudent for I/P to offer. We all know how spendy their tourpack is and I wouldn't want to imagine how much a conversion would cost.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Full size cruiser? The Challenger is the same size as the Chieftain/Roadmaster bikes. They will be offering a standard Roadmaster Trunk for the Challenger as well as a slim version for those bikes as well.
I’ve been wanting a smaller trunk from Indian for years! When is it coming out? I’m hoping the styling will still be compatible with the classic styling.🤞

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Full size cruiser? The Challenger is the same size as the Chieftain/Roadmaster bikes. They will be offering a standard Roadmaster Trunk for the Challenger as well as a slim version for those bikes as well.
I’m starting to wonder now if maybe you might have miss read something concerning the slim line trunk. I checked the Indian website and they list a Slim line trunk pad. But it’s the pad that’s slim not the trunk. It’s designed to give passengers more room by making the pad slimmer on the standard Indian trunk for when the driver is using an extended reach seat. Looks like they still aren’t offering a smaller trunk. How disappointing. If Im wrong please let me know.

·
Bronze member
3,654 Posts
I’m starting to wonder now if maybe you might have miss read something concerning the slim line trunk. I checked the Indian website and they list a Slim line trunk pad. But it’s the pad that’s slim not the trunk. It’s designed to give passengers more room by making the pad slimmer on the standard Indian trunk for when the driver is using an extended reach seat. Looks like they still aren’t offering a smaller trunk. How disappointing. If Im wrong please let me know.

I was told this was listed in the dealer catalogue which the general public can't see. Either its not there, or Indian has something else to release later this year.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts