Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
My local dealer (Pikes Peak Indian) had 5 new 2021 Roadmasters in stock today for their 1 year anniversary, including one they said was a “Roadmaster Limited.” Really nice dark metallic blue, the heated/cooled seat, lots of chrome, but the Darkhorse wheels and fairing. A new Icon blue ”smoke” color combo one too, and it had the standard locomotive style fairing. I thought the new power button location was great, too.

They said the official website launch for 2021s will be 9/15/20, but they don’t think we’ll see a touring version of the Challenger this year. Just the approved trunk with the wiring harness.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,302 Posts
Better flowing cylinder heads will be great with the 116 engines. They should make a noticeable difference.

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
Better flowing cylinder heads will be great with the 116 engines. They should make a noticeable difference.
The only difference I see is there is no longer that fin area where the exhausts exits the cylinder head. Can't see where that will help much with cooling, especially in stop and go traffic, but we'll see. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Kost

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
The only difference I see is there is no longer that fin area where the exhausts exits the cylinder head. Can't see where that will help much with cooling, especially in stop and go traffic, but we'll see. Am I missing something?

Yep it was mostly done as a cost cutting move. They no longer have to make 2 different SKU# to attach to the cylinder heads. The only reason those parts were used in the first place was to give the illusion of down exhaust like the older bikes. It was purely cosmetic, and now most didn't seem to care about the down exhaust so they save money buy getting rid of it.

·
Bronze member
1,736 Posts
Yep it was mostly done as a cost cutting move. They no longer have to make 2 different SKU# to attach to the cylinder heads. The only reason those parts were used in the first place was to give the illusion of down exhaust like the older bikes. It was purely cosmetic, and now most didn't seem to care about the down exhaust so they save money buy getting rid of it.
Sadly every year Indian eliminates something or makes things look or feel cheaper.
That was not the impression of the brand I got when I first rode one in 2015.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Better flowing porting on those heads for sure. They should boost the top end horsepower. I think eventually there will be a new Thunderstroke with four valve heads and at least partial liquid cooling after the current engine has run it's course.

There is no changes to the heads as far as porting or flow, all they did is get rid of that bolt on fin piece that was put there in the first place to give the illusion of down exhaust like the bikes of the 1920-40's. When they launched the 111 back in 2014, they made a big deal of the vintage style downward exhaust. The headers bolt up the same on the new and order bikes. The covers just gave the illusion they didn't. Polaris is doing this to save money, 2 less part SKU#'s

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Sadly every year Indian eliminates something or makes things look or feel cheaper.
That was not the impression of the brand I got when I first rode one in 2015.

That's Polaris's MO. But many companies do this. Make a very high quality product, get the recognition and reputation, then start cutting costs for the quarterly and annual bottom line. This is done in just about every industry

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,302 Posts
I was under the impression that in order to get that downwards exhaust they had to make a fairly tight bend in it to get it going straight down like that, The new heads seem to have eliminated that sharp bend in the exhaust flow. I might be wrong but it appears that way.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
I was under the impression that in order to get that downwards exhaust they had to make a fairly tight bend in it to get it going straight down like that, The new heads seem to have eliminated that sharp bend in the exhaust flow. I might be wrong but it appears that way.

It was all appearance and not real. The exhaust does not go straight down, never did. The addition of the fin covers and heat shield design made it look that way. I have had my covers of and the exhaust flows just like you see on the new heads. They changed the depth of the heat shield "smaller" so it looks more angular as it always was.

·
Rider
829 Posts
Y'all do realize they are the same cylinder heads, right? The one on top has the decorative covers removed. The one below has them installed. This is from my 2018 Chieftain limited...same covers.

View attachment 605084
Right! The exhaust cooling fins cover (heat sink) has been eliminated, presumably for better cooling?! By no means a redesign.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Wow they did a crappy job, looks like they didn't even cast new heads, just tried to add the contour. Very sad......

640177bf859fe9b2a4463c6ef78e0f04.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,142 Posts
The exhaust port inside the heads might be the same as on 2020 heads (which are already slightly improved internally compared to 2019-), but keeping the cosmetic finned cover off allows aftermarket to design less tight bends for the headers!

The main reason why Jackpot and X pipe needed a hacked stock rear header pipe was because it had the right tight "bend" (actually cast!) elbow to the exhaust port/flange!

Now you can do extremer things like this without modifying/grinding the finned covers:

I am pretty sure Fab28 had to leave some flow on the table (due to the extreme bend) when they did this system:

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,380 Posts
Oh nice - Another example of a half-a$$'d accessory..

Maybe it's just me, but what kind of animal designs, builds, and attempts to sell an exhaust system that will obviously pose a threat to the stock saddlebags, in most areas of the USA, during mid-summer, while stuck in stop and go traffic ?

Successfully completing the last 5%, of a "project", can require an inordinate amount of the projects' timeline. Most just label a project "done" at the 95% completion mark..

My cave mates and I sat around the fire last night laughing at the silly Cro-Mag(s) making parts that damage the bikes' they're "designed" for.. anyway.. We Neanders ask that an extension or "midpipe" (that moves the "muffler" into a "saddlebag safe" position) be created and offered.. Shouldn't take a Rocket Surgeon to do that, right ?

P.S. We have long suspected the dominance of the Cro-Mag species has nothing to do with intelligence..

Reactions: Kost and cmoalem

·
Bronze member
2,142 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but what kind of animal designs, builds, and attempts to sell an exhaust system that will obviously pose a threat to the stock saddlebags, in most areas of the USA, during mid-summer, while stuck in stop and go traffic ?

Successfully completing the last 5%, of a "project", can require an inordinate amount of the projects' timeline. Most just label a project "done" at the 95% completion mark..

My cave mates and I sat around the fire last night laughing at the silly Cro-Mag(s) making parts that damage the bikes' they're "designed" for.. any way.. We Neanders ask that an extension or "midpipe" (that moves the "muffler" into a "saddlebag safe" position) be created and offered.. Shouldn't take a Rocket Surgeon to do that, right ?

P.S. We have long suspected the dominance of the Cro-Mag species has nothing to do with intelligence..

View attachment 605503
haha ... and you did not ask how the saddle bag is being kept floating in the air without resting on the muffler?

I assume they "did something" to the underside which is not clearly visible in that pic

Nice custom paint job including wheels ... premium priced high end exhaust ... and then skimping there?
I don't think so!
(btw ... I would simply solve it with a hidden diverter pipe section in the muffler exit ... down out ... done)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Rider
829 Posts

My cave mates and I sat around the fire last night laughing at the silly Cro-Mag(s) making parts that damage the bikes' they're "designed" for.. any way.. We Neanders ask that an extension or "midpipe" (that moves the "muffler" into a "saddlebag safe" position) be created and offered.. Shouldn't take a Rocket Surgeon to do that, right ?

View attachment 605503
I agree, exiting hot exhaust directly under polymer hard bags was pretty stupid/dumb/ignorant. ..or whatever name you want to attach to it...

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 134 Posts