Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently looking at getting my hands on a 2021 Challenger Darkhorse. I've been on the forum and have found several threads on negative issues. My question is did Indian improve yet? I know a lot of the issues where in late 2019 early 2020 on the 2020 models. Did Indian fix that? Or are the 2021 still in the same boat. I would hate to sell my HD and buy a Indian that "might" shut down on me on the way home. Thanks in advance. Engine, paint (clear coat), and Navigation. Have these issues been resolved yet or do I need to wait another year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my 2021 challenger has had no manufacturing issues, just dealer caused. There will always be the "noisy minority" who ***** and scream. Consider this, The challenger is the best selling cruiser in the us. if there were widespread issues there would be much more complaining, recalls and national news.

·
Bronze member
2,915 Posts
Remember, when reading forums you’re going to see a lot of complaining. Someone with no issues isn’t going to post that. Same holds true for forums for HD, BMW, Ducati. I have a 20 Challenger & the only issue I’ve had was throttle bodies being out of sync, which was fixed under warranty (this is the cause of the bike‘s engine suddenly shutting down). I’ve had no issue with the Nav, CarPlay, etc. Many of the “problems” you read about are actually user error, being unfamiliar with the bike, etc.

·
Rider
569 Posts
I’ve had issues, but none that downed or took away from how awesome the bike is. I’ve learned that there is a very deliberate start up sequence that needs to be followed to make sure all the modules that link together have a chance to go through the initialization process. That has solved my nav/CarPlay issues. The paint issue isn’t a defect it’s just a noticeably soft clear coat. They could improve in that area, but not a big enough deal to keep me off an Indian. Small potatoes when compared to needing thousands in motor upgrades and thousands more in suspension upgrades just to be on par with the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,371 Posts
I've been watching this forum for about 4 yrs and yes, the negative stuff always gets a lot more ink so to speak than the good. There's a lot of happy Challenger owners. I've ridden the Challenger a few times since it's debut, heck of nice bike. If I was in the market it'd be top of my list.

Here's a survey/thread for Challenger owners started on Jan. 3, 2020.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
18 Posts
I bought mine one year ago next week and would purchase it again without hesitation.
I'm glad to hear this. I am having my RM bought back. Ill miss it but I just put down a deposit on a challenger DH. Looking forward to it, I love the brand, and the bikes are awesome to ride. Hopefully I get a better one with this challenger.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So I am currently looking at getting my hands on a 2021 Challenger Darkhorse. I've been on the forum and have found several threads on negative issues. My question is did Indian improve yet? I know a lot of the issues where in late 2019 early 2020 on the 2020 models. Did Indian fix that? Or are the 2021 still in the same boat. I would hate to sell my HD and buy a Indian that "might" shut down on me on the way home. Thanks in advance. Engine, paint (clear coat), and Navigation. Have these issues been resolved yet or do I need to wait another year.
Now worries about clear coat with a DH, as they have the matt finish... (and you will love it!)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,304 Posts
You’ll find the same thing on any forum about any vehicle; bike, car, truck it’s all the same

Reactions: Gman1

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,539 Posts
These are machines, you may happen to get one where all the tolerances happen to work in your favor or against you. You have a chance to get a defective widget from anyone!

Reactions: Gman1

·
Registered
208 Posts
no issues with my Sept 2020 purchase.. I did wait a few months before getting it just in case there were early release issues. I have done tons of upgrades on my bike since then.. bars, heated grips, speaker upgrades, saddlebag led lights, 2 into 1 exhaust, air intake, etc. All work done myself. No issues at all.. well, there was one small issue.. engine light came on day after filling it with 93 gas from the nearby BJs gas station. Bike registered a "cylinder misfire" msg. Dealer immediately said it was "bad gas" Didn't buy it so I took it down to them.. flushed the gas, gave it new gas, and bike was fine.. error cleared.. ironically, two days later, same thing happened to my 2020 GMC Denali pickup. Same 93 gas from BJs.. same engine light.. after riding it for a while, it resolved itself.
point is, these things happen and sometimes it really is something simple. No need to worry about these bikes. they are pretty solid bikes. traded a nicely equipped Harley SGS for the Challenger and never looked back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Every bike is going to have it's quirks and my 21 does too but nothing that is a show stopper.
I've had the bike since April and have put 8500 on her so far and don't regret the purchase in the least.
I would buy it again for sure.

Just noticed this is 7mo old... do we know if he got the bike?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,737 Posts
I bought my leftover 2020 Limited back in March and outside of a noisy drive belt which got fixed by alignment of the rear wheel it's been flawless for over 6000 miles. One fill-up of bad gasoline caused some pinging and backfire but I avoid that gas station now. All is good.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I got my Challenger LTD in May of 2020, I just had the 10K service so far so good. I'm very very happy with it 😎

1 - 19 of 19 Posts