Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided on the 2021 Scout Bobber in Smoke White but the exhaust system I want to go with is the Freedom Performance 2 into 1 Combat Exhaust. Will the 2020 exhaust models fit or were changes made?

Or any pointers on exhaust systems? Preferably shorties

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nothing new to the exhaust, if it fit a 2020, it'll fit a 2021. I love my GP Shortys, can't beat a good looking, great sounding setup for $100 while you ponder all the exhaust options for your permanent exhaust. The Freedom Combat is one of my top options as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
@DredHeadKemji, just a cautionary note. When the 2021s were released I contacted Indian with some questions, one of which was on the exhaust. The Rep said there were some updates on model year 2021 exhaust. I was asking about the Scout so I don't know if the Bobber also had updates. When I asked for additional detail, he said he didn't know and would have to escalate my question. I didn't bother to go further. You may want to check with the manufacturer and possibly compare 2020 and 2021 part number to see what changed. The 2021 Scout's weight was reduced by 16 pounds. He said part of the weight loss was in exhaust changes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@DredHeadKemji, just a cautionary note. When the 2021s were released I contacted Indian with some questions, one of which was on the exhaust. The Rep said there were some updates on model year 2021 exhaust. I was asking about the Scout so I don't know if the Bobber also had updates. When I asked for additional detail, he said he didn't know and would have to escalate my question. I didn't bother to go further. You may want to check with the manufacturer and possibly compare 2020 and 2021 part number to see what changed. The 2021 Scout's weight was reduced by 16 pounds. He said part of the weight loss was in exhaust changes.
Interesting. It does indeed look like some of the listed dry/weights are different between the 2020 and 2021 models...having said that though, I'm finding a lot of inconsistencies even in Indian's own sources - e.g. the weights listed on the website are different to the owner's manual.

I did check the parts catalogue here - https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalasse...2021-pga-ind-pga-catalog-en-us.pdf?v=8594bcff and noted that all the accessory slip ons, as well as heat shields, have stated "Fits 2019-2021 Scout family" which would indicate no structural/mounting changes I would think?

I actually have a 2021 Scout ordered, which should arrive sometime next month. I already have some Vance & Hines 3" Slip Ons (p/n 18623) waiting to be installed...so I hope there aren't any changes!

The other thought I had - if there is significant weight savings (even 16 pounds) wouldn't Indian be marketing that as a plus for the 2021 models? I haven't read about any changes to the 2021's other than cosmetic at this point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@CatShadow, agree on the inconsistencies, but the Indian Rep did acknowledge the weight reduction and said it was due to changes to multiple parts, none of which affected the performance or operation of the bike. I also agree about promoting the weight reduction, but then again, the sixth gear ratio was lowered on the 2020 Scout and Indian didn't mention it, the press missed it, and it escaped the notice of most of this forum until recently. It seems like some changes are promoted and some are quietly slipped through.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@CatShadow, agree on the inconsistencies, but the Indian Rep did acknowledge the weight reduction and said it was due to changes to multiple parts, none of which affected the performance or operation of the bike. I also agree about promoting the weight reduction, but then again, the sixth gear ratio was lowered on the 2020 Scout and Indian didn't mention it, the press missed it, and it escaped the notice of most of this forum until recently. It seems like some changes are promoted and some are quietly slipped through.
I'm keen to find out where the weight savings have come from and what's been changed exactly. Hopefully this info will be out there before too long. It would make sense for the exhaust to be part of the changes, as stock they are often quite heavy - so lightening the stock system itself would seem like an easy way to shave some weight off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The first level of Indian customer service didn't know the details, and two dealers I contacted were unaware of the change, so you'll likely have to dig deep to get the info. Please update us as you learn more and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Headers seems to be the same as before. My mechanics put 2018 Highway Hawks Muffler on : no problem with the headers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Freedom Performance should work for 2021
View attachment 617647
Have you had any issues with the Freedom exhaust and having a reduced lean angle? I put a set on these on my bike but with it being winter and having too much snow to ride in I've yet to get a test ride in after the install so I'm just curious as to how easy these pipes will scrape.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you had any issues with the Freedom exhaust and having a reduced lean angle? I put a set on these on my bike but with it being winter and having too much snow to ride in I've yet to get a test ride in after the install so I'm just curious as to how easy these pipes will scrape.
There is a YouTube, RickyNotSoMartin, that has the Freedom Combat 2 into 1 exhaust on his Bobber. While he will say he likes its tone, he does acknowledge that it does result in a reduced lean angle. If you are considering that exhaust, his reviews are worth your time to watch. Im still going to get this exhaust for my 21 Bobber Sixty. I've heard the pipes in person - they're damn sweet. I don't think the slight reduction in lean will bother me much - I try to save some lean angle in case I need more lean angle. Hard to lean more if you find yourself already scraping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a YouTube, RickyNotSoMartin, that has the Freedom Combat 2 into 1 exhaust on his Bobber. While he will say he likes its tone, he does acknowledge that it does result in a reduced lean angle. If you are considering that exhaust, his reviews are worth your time to watch. Im still going to get this exhaust for my 21 Bobber Sixty. I've heard the pipes in person - they're damn sweet. I don't think the slight reduction in lean will bother me much - I try to save some lean angle in case I need more lean angle. Hard to lean more if you find yourself already scraping.
I've seen those videos, he does a great job with them. I already have the pipes on my bike i just haven't been able to ride it since I put them on. I love the way they look and sound. I've just seen a few people say they scrape very easily, I have never had an issue with my old setup on my 18 bobber(stock headers w/ vance & hines slip ons) but wasn't sure if it going to be as drastic of a change as some people claim it to be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've seen those videos, he does a great job with them. I already have the pipes on my bike i just haven't been able to ride it since I put them on. I love the way they look and sound. I've just seen a few people say they scrape very easily, I have never had an issue with my old setup on my 18 bobber(stock headers w/ vance & hines slip ons) but wasn't sure if it going to be as drastic of a change as some people claim it to be. View attachment 619304
Looks great! I'll be curious to hear your opinion! Please share when you're able to catch some wind...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts