Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably not the best video comparison between the 2020 and 2021 chieftain but it does bring out some interesting points.

I know it sounds like a small change but I like the fact that they got rid of the gap in the cooling fins on the head. I think Kuryakyn used to sell an accessory that you could fit in the gap to make it look like it wasn’t there.

You do have to fast forward three minutes into the video to get past the ride in the Slingshot.

Indian is really making an effort to advance the design of the bike every year or two.

But I cannot believe the extra advertisements YouTube is starting to add to their videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,311 Posts
So I prefer the older style head simply because it is more heritage correct in that it mimics the down fired style of the old bikes, but I bet moving the header likely creates better exhaust flow. Another mechanism to lower the heat factor off the heads and right leg...

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I prefer the older style head simply because it is more heritage correct in that it mimics the down fired style of the old bikes, but I bet moving the header likely creates better exhaust flow. Another mechanism to lower the heat factor off the heads and right leg...
It seems that now that Polaris has established the Indian name again they are slowly moving away from the “heritage” features to appeal to a broader market and increase performance which I suppose is a good idea marketing wise.

·
Bronze member
3,646 Posts
sure seems that way... we still have the Roadmaster Classic and Vintage... the only name that stays the same and reflects the heritage is Chieftain and Scout which to me could be anything to anyone... slowly getting PC.. now if they could put the 116 in the other "classics"...

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I understand Indian first went out of business in 1953 and Polaris can’t keep making bikes styled like the 1953 bikes forever. If Indian had been continuously in business since 1901 would the bikes they make today still be styled like the bikes they made in 1953? Maybe, maybe not.........probably not. They might keep some basic styling cues but that would be it.

·
Bronze member
3,646 Posts
From what I understand Indian first went out of business in 1953 and Polaris can’t keep making bikes styled like the 1953 bikes forever. If Indian had been continuously in business since 1901 would the bikes they make today still be styled like the bikes they made in 1953? Maybe, maybe not.........probably not. They might keep some basic styling cues but that would be it.

well if HD is any indication... the answer is yes.. but the throw back design probably has run it's course just like the Mustang.. the only thing that really disappoints me is they look way too much like HD now... yes they are different and a Indian or HD guy/gal can tell the difference... but it is minimal...

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well if HD is any indication... the answer is yes.. but the throw back design probably has run it's course just like the Mustang.. the only thing that really disappoints me is they look way too much like HD now... yes they are different and a Indian or HD guy/gal can tell the difference... but it is minimal...
If they had left the driving lights, or even the turn signals integrated into the fairing that would have helped to keep the signature look that they started.

I still think it’s just Polaris’s way of cutting cost and maximizing profit by selling additional accessories. But they are in the business of making money more than promoting nostalgia.

I know I probably sound like a broken record to some, but every time Polaris improves a design they also find a way to make it cheaper. Redesigning the switch housing on the handlebars was a welcomed improvement but they didn’t need to make them out of plastic. When they redesigned the fairing and removed the driving lights and used conventional turn signals it greatly reduced manufacturing costs - at the price of losing a design that stood out from Harley.

But......I also remember that there was a lot of criticism concerning the classic fairing over time. So it’s hard to please everyone.

Personally I think they could have updated the classic fairing and retained the driving lights and turn signals but they didn’t in order to reduce manufacturing costs and sell more accessories.

·
Administrator
20,822 Posts
Responding To the new Harley look, Julie said “If Polaris is going to make ‘em look like Harleys, I might as well buy a Harley.”

And this from a woman rider who has been strongly anti-Harley. She’s going to be looking for a new ride in the next few years as the wheels fall off her Vic and i would personally prefer that she go Indian. But I “get her.” If my beloved Roadmaster only has a Harley lookalike as an option, I’ll be thinking twice, too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I get what you all are saying, but I must be one of the minority that really likes the newer look of my '19 Chieftain. If Indian hadn't of offered the new style fairing I wouldn't have given the brand a 2nd look as the classic fairing just doesn't do it for me. Yeah, there are similarities between my bike and a Street Glide looks-wise, but the bike's features/characteristics are what sold me on it vs the SG.

·
Rider
677 Posts
I get what you all are saying, but I must be one of the minority that really likes the newer look of my '19 Chieftain. If Indian hadn't of offered the new style fairing I wouldn't have given the brand a 2nd look as the classic fairing just doesn't do it for me. Yeah, there are similarities between my bike and a Street Glide looks-wise, but the bike's features/characteristics are what sold me on it vs the SG.
The fairing doesn’t bother me, although admittedly I like my 16 with the driving lights and blinkers built in. It’s the newer bags I can’t stand. They don’t match the lines of the rear fender like the original bags did.

·
Bronze member
3,646 Posts
and that's the point right there... marketing surveys indicated that... on top of what Gearset807 said to Indian it was a win-win... I'll keep my 18... we'll see what the fixed fairing of the PP108 looks like (if they make one)… then I'll decide... but I'm thrilled with my Limited right now and if they drop the Roadmaster Classic it's because of sales there should be plenty of them around.. once I know it has happened if I feel like it I can upgrade at that time

·
Silver member
5,519 Posts
I went from Harley (after +45 years) to Indian due to the the distinctive curvy looks/design of the Indian. I didn't have anything against Harley and still don't. Just wanted to get away from the cookie cutter herd.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I still do not want a motorcycle that looks like a Harley Davidson knockoff

·
Silver member
5,311 Posts
I don't love the newer fairing and agree they should have at least integrated the feather indicator lights. I think the bags are not nearly as durable as the round ones as they eliminated that cross reinforcement at the back.

But my single biggest ***** is the, frankly, identical taillight to the HD. I like the arrowhead taillight much, much better and when I see a bike pass me lane splitting I can always identify them by the taillight. Now to tell the difference I have to see that lower taillight in frenched into the HD fender otherwise I can barely tell which bike it is.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts