Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Rider
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hope it’s official. I stopped at the closest dealer to me, 200 miles away. Guy behind the counter says there definitely will be a full out touring Challenger available this fall. He also said they are back logged over 50 bikes, most of them Challenger models, with an 8-10 week waiting time.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Many dealers are very low on inventory due to the Covid shutdown. The factory stopped making bikes for a while and that has led to a shortage.

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
I would suspect a full Challenger touring model in model year ‘21; however, I don’t think someone working at a dealer would have any inside info on that...and no one else would. If the info on a full Challenger tourer was available to dealership employees, I think you’d see it in motorcycle publications too...and to my knowledge, we haven't.

I’m a little surprised IM didn’t release a full tourer when they released the Challenger. Heated seat & grips, lowers, and a trunk are all that’s needed. I know the wiring for a heated seat & grips is already there...not sure about a connector for a tour pack.

·
Rider
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’ll be interesting to see what the price is — conjecture is well north of $30k
32-34, saving up my nickels and dimes. Although my RM is a joy to ride.

Reactions: HINK

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
I would suspect a full Challenger touring model in model year ‘21; however, I don’t think someone working at a dealer would have any inside info on that...and no one else would. If the info on a full Challenger tourer was available to dealership employees, I think you’d see it in motorcycle publications too...and to my knowledge, we haven't.

I’m a little surprised IM didn’t release a full tourer when they released the Challenger. Heated seat & grips, lowers, and a trunk are all that’s needed. I know the wiring for a heated seat & grips is already there...not sure about a connector for a tour pack.

Agree on that Dealers are usually on the outside of Polaris info. One of the things I have heard through the grapevine is that dealers are encouraged NOT to sell any Roadmaster trunks or tour packs due to the fact that the Bosch Lean control/traction system is not calibrated for that. Could be BS too, as many dealers are offering Challengers with RoadMaster tour packs.

A full touring model is most likely a given, with zero info from Polaris. It follows the evolution of the new line.

Indian has 4 Motorcycle lines right now.

Thunderstroke Heavyweights
PowerPlus heavyweights
Scout Series
FTR Series

I seriously doubt you will see a Mid Size bike line with the Power Plus engine no matter how bad people want it. Mid Size bikes won't sell unless they are mid size priced and Indian can't make any real money on these bikes.

The FTR did not sell because one of many reasons, but it was way to expensive for what it was, but that's the price you pay when Made in America or more accurately, Assembled in America.

The Scouts pay for them selves and not much more. But are necessary to get people into the brand. Yes other companies offer these things but everyone but one make all their bikes with foreign labor which is the biggest operational expense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a tech tell me that the Indian Trunk that I have on my Chieftain will and has proven to be just fine on a Challenger. Polaris will revoke dealer license if they install it due to Bosch Lean Tech, but unless you are racing/running hard....it will not be an issue with that technology. He said you be fine with no passenger and a trunk.....but If you are running hard with a trunk your missing the point anyhow....take it off for that. Has anyone read anything to denounce that?

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
I just had a tech tell me that the Indian Trunk that I have on my Chieftain will and has proven to be just fine on a Challenger. Polaris will revoke dealer license if they install it due to Bosch Lean Tech, but unless you are racing/running hard....it will not be an issue with that technology. He said you be fine with no passenger and a trunk.....but If you are running hard with a trunk your missing the point anyhow....take it off for that. Has anyone read anything to denounce that?

Interesting, there are a lot of Challengers for sale and dealers are showing them with Roadmaster Trunks installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting, there are a lot of Challengers for sale and dealers are showing them with Roadmaster Trunks installed.
Yes...I asked that question as this dealership had zero Challengers with Roadmaster Trunks on them, I mentioned the Challenger needs to have trunk options. He said the same thing "Polaris is in the works for one designed for Challenger"......Polaris is very standard with their response and will offer no additional "liability comments" except for, it's (Challenger) not designed for that trunk. Which leaves Indian Riders guessing what to do because once you add four black bussing spools....the roadmaster trunk fits like a charm. While build it for that then. I love the ingenuity that many long time aftermarket guys are trying to build a trunk for Challenger. I think Indian should just come out and have build into their software to disable Bosch Software when trunk is installed. The weight distribution with a rider is likely the icing that breaks the deal and leaves Polaris open to liability. That said...A FULL ROADMASTER TRUNK with no rider is the same weight and distribution of that weight as is a rider, sissy bar and full travel bag on back. Guess we will all learn in time....and maybe I'll eat my words. That's why we lean to the experts....come on Indian, it's becoming a big topic with your new bike.

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
After a few decades of motorcycling, the info that comes from motorcycle shop employees is sometimes just laughable. While I’m not an engineer, I don’t see how Smart Lean would know the difference between a 180 lb. passenger and a loaded tour pack that weighed less than 75 lbs. Apparently it‘s pretty smart...LOL. As far as revoking a dealership for adding a tour pack...well, I see plenty of dealer added Challenger tour packs on social media, installed by some of the largest and most successful IM dealerships. Haven’t seen any of them lose their dealership yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One of the things I have heard through the grapevine is that dealers are encouraged NOT to sell any Roadmaster trunks or tour packs due to the fact that the Bosch Lean control/traction system is not calibrated for that.
The sales manager at my local dealer told me essentially the same thing on Friday...that Indian “asked" them not to put the Roadmaster trunks on any Challengers, but he didn’t say why. If the reason you heard is legit, though, Indian shouldn‘t have a problem if they put them on the base model since it doesn’t have the Bosch lean and traction control technology.

I then asked him when Indian would have a trunk available for the Challenger, and he said this fall. If that info is true, it makes me wonder if they will indeed have a Challenger touring model available at the same time, and will it still have “Challenger" in the name (ex. Challenger Tour, etc.), or use something totally different like they did with the Chieftain-Roadmaster product launches?

I‘ve also wondered what it would look like with the Victory Cross Country Tour trunk (and maybe the lowers) on it? Probably like hot garbage, but I’m still a little curious. And I‘m sure corporate already thought of that. I can hear it now:

Polaris break room bean counter conversation:
BC #1
-“What should we do with all the left over Victory Cross Country Tour trunks?”

BC #2- “Um, Goodwill?”

BC #1- “Are you crazy? We have 2000 left, and they‘re worth a grand total of $678.59!"

BC #2- “What if we make them an accessory for the Challenger and charge $3,500 a piece?"

BC #1- ”Seems a little too cheap to me, but we’ll just charge extra for the necessary mounting hardware to maximize profit."

BC #2- “Brilliant! Now, let’s talk about de-contenting next year’s models while increasing prices.”

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It's an odd thing for Polaris to suggest that the trunk will compromise the lean tech. Apart from mirroring a child as pillion, how would anyone know that an accident is the fault of malfunctioning lean tech anyway?

Imagine you are riding through a corner and lowside the bike. Are you going to sue Polaris because you considered that their lean technology should enable you to ride as fast through corners as that Ducati up ahead? How is it possible to prove a liability issue on something as ephemeral as how the lean tech behaves in some random situation?

It sounds like companies who say that the bike is not designed for pulling a trailer and they will not honor any claims if the bike is fitted up for one.

One the other hand, I would have said the same thing if somebody suggesting putting their Winnebago into cruise control and then getting up to make a cup of coffee in the back.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
It's an odd thing for Polaris to suggest that the trunk will compromise the lean tech. Apart from mirroring a child as pillion, how would anyone know that an accident is the fault of malfunctioning lean tech anyway?

Imagine you are riding through a corner and lowside the bike. Are you going to sue Polaris because you considered that their lean technology should enable you to ride as fast through corners as that Ducati up ahead? How is it possible to prove a liability issue on something as ephemeral as how the lean tech behaves in some random situation?

It sounds like companies who say that the bike is not designed for pulling a trailer and they will not honor any claims if the bike is fitted up for one.

One the other hand, I would have said the same thing if somebody suggesting putting their Winnebago into cruise control and then getting up to make a cup of coffee in the back.

Could be dealer BS as well, which most likely is what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Certainly a mystery that has a lot of folks talking - Smart move to build interest and launch a new product in the fall

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,092 Posts
A possible solution to this weight distribution issue might be with changing the rear monoshock assembly to an air adjustable one like that on the current Road Masters. They might even have an onboard air compressor tied into the vehicle stability system for automatic load leveling.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Indian marketed the Challenger as a "bagger" so the most likely have a "new" variant for the touring version which will have a new name.

·
Bronze member
1,501 Posts
Wiring harness for future tourpak/sound system to the Challenger is already under the seat.....take your seat off and it's already facing to the rear of the bike. The "foundation" is already intact......as I think this will be Indian's premium touring bike for years to come. Expect the engine size to increase to 130CI (or more!) and HP to 150 (or more!!!) on a stock bike over the next few years. It's what they'll need to do to keep us interested.....and buying!!!!!!!!! Personally, I think the bike has enough power for most riders.....but that's one thing you can never have too much of for this power whore!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I believe Indian is just saying that because they have a new trunk in the works and want people to buy it. Adding the trunk is no different than adding a person. How does it know the difference between a 100lb passenger and a 200lb passenger? It's just a scare tactic to get people to buy the new designed trunk, or maybe trade in for the touring model when it's released.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts