Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
No Williams Grove race!!!
Moved to Port Royal Speedway. Half mile dirt track in Port Royal, Juniata County. I'm wo dering if it's a day race, or did they buy out the regular Saturday slate of aprint cars and late models.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,379 Posts
From everything I have read, H-D was never gone. they just decided to stop supporting a Factory Super Twins team. The bikes are available though the V&H racing program and now H-D is putting up contingency money for Production and Super Twins. Haven't seen the lineup of riders, but I would be a little surprised to see anyone ride the XGR in the big class, given how much of a dog that bike has been for it's 4 years in existence.
Compared to the Indians all the other manufacturers are dogs too! lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
From everything I have read, H-D was never gone. they just decided to stop supporting a Factory Super Twins team. The bikes are available though the V&H racing program and now H-D is putting up contingency money for Production and Super Twins. Haven't seen the lineup of riders, but I would be a little surprised to see anyone ride the XGR in the big class, given how much of a dog that bike has been for it's 4 years in existence.
contingency money?... did you look at the break down of how they are paying it out?... they are covering that 250K really, really good... at least they learned from Vegas on how to give out money...

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
contingency money?... did you look at the break down of how they are paying it out?... they are covering that 250K really, really good... at least they learned from Vegas on how to give out money...
True, it's a good amount of money, but it's contingency cause they only pay if someone places or wins a race or the championship. Indian had over $500K in contingency money 3 years ago, then more riders bought the FTR and it seemed like they would be giving it all away. The first year they did it, the factory teams didn't qualify for the money. Not sure if they still had money available the last two years. I don't remember reading anything about it.

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
in what I think is a fairly large announcement, Bronson Bauman has decided to create his own SuperTwins team for the coming season. He will be racing all 17 events with support from Indian of Oklahoma and a slew of other sponsors as well.

It's not clear if Indian has decided to go from a three bike team to just Mees and Briar Bauman, or whether they will fill the 3rd seat with a new rider.

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
And the answer is now known. Indian Factory will sponsor two riders this year - Briar Bauman and Jared Mees. They will also support two additional riders, Bronson Bauman as it was announced yesterday, and Bryan Smith will be getting factory support racing for Crosley/Howerton Motorsports and will have a custom built frame for his FTR engine.

For those that remember, Smith was an original member of the FTR Wrecking Crew and left after two years to rejoin his previous team. He ran Kawasaki for one season and then H-D factory team for a season. His reasoning for leaving the Factory team originally, was that the frame didn't fit him and he wanted to go back to something that worked for him. He finished 2nd and 5th for the Factory team in his two years.

Reactions: Lost Hillbilly

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts
Another good year to promote Indian. Think about it, HD tried and failed to the FTR's for going on 3 years or so. Even after petitioning and getting their way, which was a totally lame political move. They got smoked at Laguna Seca by the two and only Challengers. HD sales are way off and continue what some on Wall St. say (I don't) is a death spiral. It could get worse but HD will be around for a very long time imo. Competition is good for everyone. I hope HD or someone else steps up to make it fun and interesting.

Reactions: Lost Hillbilly

·
4,379 Posts
Another good year to promote Indian. Think about it, HD tried and failed to the FTR's for going on 3 years or so. Even after petitioning and getting their way, which was a totally lame political move. They got smoked at Laguna Seca by the two and only Challengers. HD sales are way off and continue what some on Wall St. say (I don't) is a death spiral. It could get worse but HD will be around for a very long time imo. Competition is good for everyone. I hope HD or someone else steps up to make it fun and interesting.
I think they should make it (Super Twins) an all Indian spec series. You basically have that now with 11 of the racers are on Indians. I seriously doubt another manufacturer is going to build a purpose built race bike for a limited audience because that’s what it will take to be competitive with the Indians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
I think they should make it (Super Twins) an all Indian spec series. You basically have that now with 11 of the racers are on Indians. I seriously doubt another manufacturer is going to build a purpose built race bike for a limited audience because that’s what it will take to be competitive with the Indians.

While it's a fair point, the H-D was a purpose built race bike and wasn't very competitive. Yamaha made some strides last year, they just need to get some better riders. 4 years ago they had Sammy Halbert on their bike and he finished 4th in the standings. While they have some competent riders, they don't have a top tier rider in their camp.

·
4,379 Posts
While it's a fair point, the H-D was a purpose built race bike and wasn't very competitive. Yamaha made some strides last year, they just need to get some better riders. 4 years ago they had Sammy Halbert on their bike and he finished 4th in the standings. While they have some competent riders, they don't have a top tier rider in their camp.
No disrespect but only the Indians were purpose built race bikes from the ground up. I’ll look for the article that supports it.
The last five champions work for Indian now. All the top riders are on Indians now so what manufacture is willing to try and break into Super Twins without a top tier rider ?

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
No need, I know the Indian was purpose built. I also know the first iteration of the H-D XG-750 had a racing frame and suspension. The only stock element it had was the block and cylinders from the showroom 750. That lasted for one year and they created a block-up custom engine for the years following. Did it have a better resemblance to their showroom bike? Absolutely. Was it in any way stock after it's first season? Nope.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would guess the Daytona promoter is worried about Covid-19 . Attendance restrictions or fans just not showing up in big numbers . It must cost a lot to convert the infield to make it into the AFT track .
DIS has their own dirt short track located off of nascar turns 1 and 2, parking lot side. They wouldn't have to convert anything besides putting up bleachers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
No disrespect but only the Indians were purpose built race bikes from the ground up. I’ll look for the article that supports it.
The last five champions work for Indian now. All the top riders are on Indians now so what manufacture is willing to try and break into Super Twins without a top tier rider ?

I'm kinda new to AFT, went to two races last year. Isn't Royal Enfield trying to break in somewhere? Can't remember if its the top class or not though.

·
4,379 Posts
I'm kinda new to AFT, went to two races last year. Isn't Royal Enfield trying to break in somewhere? Can't remember if its the top class or not though.
Yes the production twins

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
FWIW, there are races during Bike Week in Volusia which is about 20 miles away from Daytona. Close enough.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
DIS has their own dirt short track located off of nascar turns 1 and 2, parking lot side. They wouldn't have to convert anything besides putting up bleachers.
I was talking about the track that has been used the last few years that is on the infield .

Series officials recently announced that this year’s track design for the season-opener at Daytona International Speedway would include both dirt and asphalt portions, which presented a unique set of design challenges. To allow AFT to fine tune the transitions between dirt and asphalt, track building crews began laying down the specially-designed dirt for the TT course in the corners on either end of the tri-oval just 24 hours prior to Thursday’s test. To provide feedback for the finalization of the design, nine-time AFT champion Scotty Parker, three-time AFT champion Jay Springsteen and AFT Twins presented to Vance & Hines competitor Johnny Lewis suited up to dial in the all-important portions of the track in consultation with AFT officials, including fellow AMA Hall of Famer Steve Morehead.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts