Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFT has released its 17-event race schedule for the 2021 season, which includes two TT events, including the inaugural indoor Atlanta Super TT. AFT will not be racing at Daytona International Speedway during its 2021 season .
2021 Progressive American Flat Track Schedule:
3/12(Rnd 1) Volusia Half-Mile IVolusia Speedway, Barberville, FL
3/13(Rnd 2) Volusia Half-Mile IIVolusia Speedway, Barberville, FL
5/1(Rnd 3) Atlanta Super TTAtlanta Motor Speedway, Hampton, GA
5/22(Rnd 4) Texas Half-MileTexas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX
5/29(Rnd 5) Chicago Half-MileDirt Oval Route 66, Joliet, IL
6/18(Rnd 6) OKC Mile IRemington Park, Oklahoma City, OK
6/19(Rnd 7) OKC Mile IIRemington Park, Oklahoma City, OK
6/26(Rnd 8) Lima Half-MileAllen County Fairgrounds, Lima, OH
7/17(Rnd 9) DuQuoin MileDuQuoin Fairgrounds, DuQuoin, IL
7/24(Rnd 10) Port Royal Half-MilePort Royal Speedway, Port Royal, PA
8/14(Rnd 11) New York Short TrackWeedsport Speedway, Weedsport, NY
8/21(Rnd 12) Peoria TTPeoria Motorcycle Club, Peoria, IL
9/4(Rnd 13) Springfield Mile IIllinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL
9/5(Rnd 14) Springfield Mile IIIllinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL
9/TBD(Rnd 15) TBADoubleheader I, California
9/TBD(Rnd 16) TBADoubleheader II, California
10/8(Rnd 17) Charlotte Half-MileCharlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, NC

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
A few new tracks this year, at least in the time I have been following AFT. If the craziness in the world calms down a bit, I am thinking about OKC, DuQuoin and Springfield this year.

For those of you that haven't been to a FT race, I highly recommend going at least once. Some of the most exciting racing I have ever seen!

And I was surprised at the lack of Daytona as well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few new tracks this year, at least in the time I have been following AFT. If the craziness in the world calms down a bit, I am thinking about OKC, DuQuoin and Springfield this year.

For those of you that haven't been to a FT race, I highly recommend going at least once. Some of the most exciting racing I have ever seen!

And I was surprised at the lack of Daytona as well.
I would guess the Daytona promoter is worried about Covid-19 . Attendance restrictions or fans just not showing up in big numbers . It must cost a lot to convert the infield to make it into the AFT track .

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Also no Red Mile or Buffalo Chip during Sturgis. Will be a different season for sure, especially since no H-D to beat up on

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also no Red Mile or Buffalo Chip during Sturgis. Will be a different season for sure, especially since no H-D to beat up on
Is HD permanently no longer running flat track or just this year due to the pandemic?

Disregard, just saw that HD is simply not running in the same class any longer. I hope that changes in the future. The rivalry is what really kept me hooked!

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
Is HD permanently no longer running flat track or just this year due to the pandemic?

Disregard, just saw that HD is simply not running in the same class any longer. I hope that changes in the future. The rivalry is what really kept me hooked!
Harley is basically taking their ball and going home from the Super Twins class. They tried a different iteration of their racing 750 engine each of the 4 years the XG was their primary motor. Got AFT to change rules regarding intake size and a few other things to hamper the Indian and still couldn't keep up. They are competitive in the "production" class twins so that's where they will stay. However, it is not a factory backed effort like they were doing in Super Twins, they are just providing bikes and support. It'll be weird to not see the big H-D trailer in the paddock at races this year.

Reactions: Axxehead

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
well the teams have to pay for the starting spots which are guaranteed, HD had 3 of them.... I wonder if they are going to add them to the two qualify only spots or if another team(s) bought them... it's designed like NASCAR if you know how that works

·
Registered
24 Posts
Harley is basically taking their ball and going home from the Super Twins class. They tried a different iteration of their racing 750 engine each of the 4 years the XG was their primary motor. Got AFT to change rules regarding intake size and a few other things to hamper the Indian and still couldn't keep up. They are competitive in the "production" class twins so that's where they will stay. However, it is not a factory backed effort like they were doing in Super Twins, they are just providing bikes and support. It'll be weird to not see the big H-D trailer in the paddock at races this year.
Interesting. I appreciate the clarification.

It will certainly be odd. Kind of a "sore loser" move IMO as well on HD's part.

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
well the teams have to pay for the starting spots which are guaranteed, HD had 3 of them.... I wonder if they are going to add them to the two qualify only spots or if another team(s) bought them... it's designed like NASCAR if you know how that works
While they had 3 spots in the Super Twins class, I'm not sure they could "sell" them to anyone else. If I read the info correct, the teams that spend the marketing dollars are guaranteed to get "x" number of spots in the grid. That left 3 wildcard spots for other riders to apply for on a weekly basis. Carver raced on wildcards all last season.

I believe that means there are either 3 spots available for teams to become involved in, or they could have 5 wildcard slots with 15 guaranteed riders. Assuming that ll teams from last year are participating again this year.

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
No they left the NHRA too where they have been highly successful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yup only about the money... they can't afford to race anymore... and that should tell you something... just like Dodge dipping out of NASCAR wasn't long and it was sold to Fiat

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,379 Posts
yup only about the money... they can't afford to race anymore... and that should tell you something... just like Dodge dipping out of NASCAR wasn't long and it was sold to Fiat
Truthfully it would be good to be bought by a bigger company like Polaris did with Indian. Dodge is doing very well since Fiat bought them. Harley was going to pull out last year but the dealers talked them out of it. The new CEO is making serious cuts so I knew the racing programs wouldn’t be around much longer. I’ll really miss the Pro Stock bikes though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
It looks like HD is back, at least a little. It's a month out, and I'm glad to see they are at least offering contingency money to help teams along.

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
I wonder who is running the HD Super Twins?

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
From everything I have read, H-D was never gone. they just decided to stop supporting a Factory Super Twins team. The bikes are available though the V&H racing program and now H-D is putting up contingency money for Production and Super Twins. Haven't seen the lineup of riders, but I would be a little surprised to see anyone ride the XGR in the big class, given how much of a dog that bike has been for it's 4 years in existence.

Reactions: Lost Hillbilly
1 - 20 of 38 Posts