Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2020 Roadmaster Dark Horse. I took the USB thumb drive that I had been using in my Harley, plugged it in to the Indian and it would not recognize the drive. I went back to the dealership and they said they had been experiencing a number of problems similar to this with the 2020's and would have to get in touch with Polaris to find out what was wrong. Well, I am sometimes a very impatient guy and started playing around a bit which led me to the solution. As simple as this seems, when you use a USB drive in at least the 2020's and beyond, you have to first make sure that the USB drive is formatted in the exFat format on your computer before you copy hour music to it. There are normally 2 different formats that a computer will format an external drive as which are NTFS (which was the standard for a long time) and now the exFat format which enables a larger capacity drive to be formatted so just make sure you format in the exFat format and you won't experience this same problem.

Safe riding!

·
German Rider
2,138 Posts
Exfat or FAT32 works.
Ntfs not.

Cu,
Sven

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
FAT 32 has always worked best for me when software loading or transferring. I have seen some issues related to using too big of a thumb drive. I always try to use Sansdisk thumb drives and limit the storage size to 16 meg capacity. Dean

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine came out of my 18 RM put in my 20 RM and starts from the 1st song everytime I start the bike. Wish it would pick up from last played song like it did on the 18.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
Mine came out of my 18 RM put in my 20 RM and starts from the 1st song everytime I start the bike. Wish it would pick up from last played song like it did on the 18.
Yeah, that is why I don't use the USB to play music on my 15 RM. No shuffle mode. Even with over 400 songs on my drive I get tired of hearing them in the same order. Only use my Iphone and bluetooth the music. Dean

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, that is why I don't use the USB to play music on my 15 RM. No shuffle mode. Even with over 400 songs on my drive I get tired of hearing them in the same order. Only use my Iphone and bluetooth the music. Dean
There is a shuffle mode, but it groups them into about 5 or 6 blocks and plays them over as well repeatedly

·
Registered
409 Posts
NTSF is only a standard on Microsoft Windows. FAT file format is the standard for basically everything else, and as drives have increased in capacity the FAT format has also grown to accommodate, i.e. FAT32, exFAT etc. So as a good rule of thumb is that if a drive is destined to be for anything besides Windows, use a FAT format. And yes, Windows will read a drive with a FAT format.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts