Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to replace the Victory soon. I am wondering if I will be happy with a 111 or if I should get a 2020 with the 116. I might go as far as to put cams in the 111 but that’s probably as far as I would go. The Vic 106 is pretty tough to beat, perhaps the challenger is there but I prefer the Chieftain. Thoughts?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
Stage Two cams are pretty tame (had them in a 2015 Chieftain). I might suggest Lloydz 558 or 585 cams depending upon how much gain in performance you want. I think the 585 cams need the stronger valve springs if I'm not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
116 all the way, has a lot more potenital. Coming from a 106 Victory myself, I think you would like the 116 much better. No replacement for displacement!

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
I came over from a 100ci Victory (big bore 92) to the 111... the 111 I like and it has enough power for me... but if the 116 would have been available I would have done it.. having said that 2 grand is 2 grand... to me baggers are not race bikes so if it gets me from A to B like I want no worries...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found that especially two up power is important. All I did to my Vic was piped, flash and timing wheel. It was sufficient. I rode 116 in the spring at York bike week but they had not received a proper tune. It was hard to tell with obvious poor metering

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
and if that was the big bore 116 it has more power than the 2020 factory 116... so don't get confused on them..

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
A potential question to ask is with the stock 116 what will it take mo Rt wise to match the 116 BBK that people are putting on 111s? If I am not mistaken (and please correct me if I am) the stock 116 does not have stage 2 or 3 cams not sure on the throttle body or other upgrades that come in the kit just the jugs and associated parts.

I never had the chance to ride a victory and I came from a modified 103 in my HD bagger. I have a 111 with stage 2 cams since I have an 18 and at the time it was unknown about the valve springs being week with the 558 or 585 cams or I would have went with a 19. With Craig’s tune I’m happy with the Indian Stage 2 cams if want higher hp and torque the Lloyd’s are the ticket. Test drive a Challenger and then 116 and or 111 see what you think. If you like the power but don’t like the style of the Challenger you look at engine mods. It might be cheaper to go with a 116 and see what it would take to buy and install cams, tuner, pipes, throttle body and intake.

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
Indian-Cory the factory offers a stage II kit for the factory 116... which is supposed to bring into line with the 116 big bore for the 111's

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am planning to replace the Victory soon. I am wondering if I will be happy with a 111 or if I should get a 2020 with the 116. I might go as far as to put cams in the 111 but that’s probably as far as I would go. The Vic 106 is pretty tough to beat, perhaps the challenger is there but I prefer the Chieftain. Thoughts?
I bought a 2020 chieftain elite with the 116 from the factory pretty gutless just did the Lloyds 585 candy yesterday rode home in the rain. Had to do injectors too so order them . Felt a lil snappier but was wet so couldnt really play but I will

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Stage Two cams are pretty tame (had them in a 2015 Chieftain). I might suggest Lloydz 558 or 585 cams depending upon how much gain in performance you want. I think the 585 cams need the stronger valve springs if I'm not mistaken.
I just did the 585s and no springs were required but did have to do injectors

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a 2020 chieftain elite with the 116 from the factory pretty gutless just did the Lloyds 585 candy yesterday rode home in the rain. Had to do injectors too so order them . Felt a lil snappier but was wet so couldnt really play but I will

Are you coming off a Vic? You would think that ten years later you could at least match the power of the 106

·
Registered
57 Posts
The 2020 116s are 116 in displacement only need exhaust ,I take and cams to really wake it up ...I've do e all on mine . I did the 585s and it runs great with them now that I had it tuned by Lloyd's at bike week .

·
Bronze member
3,166 Posts
I had a Vic for a while,fast bike ,will walk away easy from a 103 hd,but a 103 will walk away from my 111 vintage.but I like the Indian a lot better,and when your on the hwy,everyone gets there at the same time no matter how big your engine is.and my vintage looks a lot better getten there.lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agreed that there is no replacement for displacement. However, I switched from a 2000cc Kawasaki Vulcan Classic, with a hyper charger and Power Commander, which will smoke any of the above mentioned bikes to a TS111 Chieftain Dark Horse stage two and a PV3 tuner. I have more fun on the Chieftain. The TS111 will get to 100mph fast enough to be fun and exhilarating.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
I'm thinking the stock 116 (not the Stage 3) mostly picks up some torque but not that much horsepower.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Reactions: rrhemi
1 - 20 of 21 Posts