Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the specifics of the changes Indian made in the 020 Scout brakes? I heard new "floating" rotors, new calipers, and a new master cylinder. I would love to know if I could retrofit my 2017 Scout ABS with the upgraded parts because I am unhappy with my brakes. There are aftermarket options, but I would rather stay OEM if I can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody know the specifics of the changes Indian made in the 020 Scout brakes? I heard new "floating" rotors, new calipers, and a new master cylinder. I would love to know if I could retrofit my 2017 Scout ABS with the upgraded parts because I am unhappy with my brakes. There are aftermarket options, but I would rather stay OEM if I can.
I have a 2017 Scout ABS and I recently installed the floating rotor from a 2020 with no modifications required. I cured the brake noise from the front. It was $90 after tax. It’s a much cheaper option than the aftermarket. However I think It would be worth the money installing the Brembo 4 piston caliper.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2017 Scout ABS and I recently installed the floating rotor from a 2020 with no modifications required. I cured the brake noise from the front. It was $90 after tax. It’s a much cheaper option than the aftermarket. However I think It would be worth the money installing the Brembo 4 piston caliper.
Thanks very much for the info. Is the new floating rotor the same size as the old one 298 mm? The aftermarket one I was looking at was 320 mm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it’s the same size. Here is the link for the Brembo Brake Caliper. Free Spirits Brembo Front Brake Caliper Upgrade - Indian Scout / Scout Bobber | A & J Cycles
Thanks for your help. I've asked A& J to confirm that the Brembo will work with the new OEM free rotor. Looks like the difference in cost between the 298 mm OEM rotor and the Free Spirits 320 mm rotor is about $140. Not sure which way to go. The huge Arlen Ness rotor isn't compatible with my AMS or these Brembo kits, so that's out. My birthday is coming up, guess I'll see if I've been a good boy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still wondering what Indian did to the calipers for 2020. Did they go four piston in the front? More powerful master cylinder? I know they went free rotor in the back too. If I upgrade the front brakes, probably makes sense to do everything at once, including the master cylinder. I believe the ABS is programmable. Wonder if they reprogrammed it for the new brake system? I have too many questions!

·
Registered
200 Posts

I don't see any evidence for a four pot front... I think it looks the same two pot as before.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm not smart enough to tell the difference by looking at it. Thanks for posting. i sent an inquiry to Polaris. I'll post the response here if I get one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, that's not entirely fair of me!
You can see the two round shapes on this side of the front caliper.These house the cylindrical pistons. A four pot design would have two on the other side as well (out of sight). The original scout Toso caliper has two pistons pushing a brake pad against another fixed brake pad on the other side.(See the second photo).
The rear brake has only one pot.(See the 3rd photo)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Thanks so much. I have located a bunch of upgrade options. I'm taking the bike in for 2500 mile service today. Maybe they'll fix the brakes without me having to do a major upgrade. Hoping the stock brakes are much better that what I'm getting now.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Speaking of brake upgrades I've heard a couple of horror stories about swapping out the lines. That's one of my gripes about the bobber. Why the hell did they put silver brake lines in and for starters why are they so long? Same thing with the clutch cable. I bet you could shave some length off both. Anyone successfully swapped out lines on an abs bike with little issues? I want black ones bad. I'm going to get a hold of barnett and inquire about a black clutch line 1 inch shorter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was at the dealer today and a very capable mechanic said Indian did put in new floating rotors for 2020, but if they made any changes to the calipers or master cylinder, he was unawares.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke with Indian Customer Service today. They would not provide any information regarding the changes made to the Scout brakes for 2020. They said I can't use any newer parts on my 2017 ABS unless the original part number was superceded. Based on an analysis of the part numbers and the minimal information available in the on-line parts descriptions, it appears that the front brake got a new caliper clamp in 2018, some brake line changes in 2018 and 2019; and in 2020 a new 14.0 mm master cylinder, new two piston caliper (30/32mm), and a new free rotor. We have already heard from one of the forum members that the 2020 free rotor fits his 2017. The rear brake hose was changed in 2018, rear caliper was changed in 2018, and again in 2020 (a 32mm unit), and there is also a free rotor in the back for 2020. The rear master cylinder was replaced in 2019, and the 2017 and 2018 rear master cylinders were superceded.

So it appears that the rear master cylinder and both rotors are backwards compatible to 2017, and the front caliper front master cylinder, and rear caliper might be. Anyone know?

Has anyone compared 2020 Scout ABS brakes with the pre-2020 model?

I was at the dealer today and a very capable mechanic said Indian did put in new floating rotors for 2020, but if they made any changes to the calipers or master cylinder, he was unawares.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure anyone is following this thread, but I took delivery of my 2017 Scout ABS with the upgraded Free Spirits 320mm rotor, Brembo four piston caliper, and Nissen 16mm master with adjustable lever. I am finally able to use trail braking, there is no slop in the lever, and I can STOP when I squeeze it hard. It's like night and day. Indian supposedly made brake upgrades in 2020, but since they are being so proprietary and secretive about it, who cares?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure anyone is following this thread, but I took delivery of my 2017 Scout ABS with the upgraded Free Spirits 320mm rotor, Brembo four piston caliper, and Nissen 16mm master with adjustable lever. I am finally able to use trail braking, there is no slop in the lever, and I can STOP when I squeeze it hard. It's like night and day. Indian supposedly made brake upgrades in 2020, but since they are being so proprietary and secretive about it, who cares?
Hi DrSteve,
That's great to hear!
I'm still curious to know how it would compare to the brakes on a 2020 model...but we may never know lol and it's just great to know the Free Spirits option is a good one!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tell me more about the master cylinder...where did it come from?
I had an incident the other day with a combined harvester which showed just how poor the stock setup is...I'm definitely interested in an improved front brake for a 2016 model. Thanks for sharing..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Indian releases very little information about the Scout brakes, but I read somewhere the front master cylinder on my 2017 ABS was 12.8 mm and their OEM parts database says the 2020 is 14mm. Free Spirits says their front rotor and four piston Brembo caliper ( I believe to be a P4) will work with the OEM (presumably pre-2020) master, but I read elsewhere that a Brembo distributor was recommending either the Brembo 15 RCS (radial) master or Nissen 16 mm axial for the Brembo P4. I chose the Nissen because it is axial like the OEM and I thought that would minimize mods to the brake line. That apparently turned out to be the case, since the mechanic didn't complain. I did purchase a new banjo bolt to fit the Nissen master, because it was cheap and easier than trying to find out what size bolt was on the Scout OEM master. The caliper came with its own banjo bolt. I am not an automotive engineer and I shouldn't be designing brake systems, so please use any of this info at your own risk. That said, I personally like the way the new system performs. It would be fun to test ride a 2020 Scout to see how it performs, but the 4 piston caliper, larger floating rotor, and larger master cylinder I selected would probably take the win. I don't know what kind of pads Free Spirits provides with the Brembo or what kind of pads Indian uses, so that may be another variable. I love that the brake lever on the Nissen master is adjustable, unlike the OEM lever. I got two quotes for the installation labor and both came in at 3 hours. Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Indian releases very little information about the Scout brakes, but I read somewhere the front master cylinder on my 2017 ABS was 12.8 mm and their OEM parts database says the 2020 is 14mm. Free Spirits says their front rotor and four piston Brembo caliper ( I believe to be a P4) will work with the OEM (presumably pre-2020) master, but I read elsewhere that a Brembo distributor was recommending either the Brembo 15 RCS (radial) master or Nissen 16 mm axial for the Brembo P4. I chose the Nissen because it is axial like the OEM and I thought that would minimize mods to the brake line. That apparently turned out to be the case, since the mechanic didn't complain. I did purchase a new banjo bolt to fit the Nissen master, because it was cheap and easier than trying to find out what size bolt was on the Scout OEM master. The caliper came with its own banjo bolt. I am not an automotive engineer and I shouldn't be designing brake systems, so please use any of this info at your own risk. That said, I personally like the way the new system performs. It would be fun to test ride a 2020 Scout to see how it performs, but the 4 piston caliper, larger floating rotor, and larger master cylinder I selected would probably take the win. I don't know what kind of pads Free Spirits provides with the Brembo or what kind of pads Indian uses, so that may be another variable. I love that the brake lever on the Nissen master is adjustable, unlike the OEM lever. I got two quotes for the installation labor and both came in at 3 hours. Cheers.
DrSteve do you have link for the Nissen MC and lever combo?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t know how to paste a link, but I bought it from Parts Giant. Just search for Nissen 16mm axial master cylinder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts