Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, picked it up on May 26th (with 6 miles on it), not used 27th, major overheat May 28th (51 miles on it), picked up by the dealer on June 1st. Now I’m told the impeller (coolant?) is not spinning. Another chicken and the egg scenario like the original cracked head diagnosis scenario? Now, did the nonfunctional impeller cause the overheat or did the overheat cause the impeller to fail? All I know is I got to ride my new 100 year anniversary Scout 45 miles in the three days I had it and now it has been another 13 days, so far, since… Is there any documentation as to how many miles a 2020 Scout has been ridden without major issues?

·
Founding member
1,196 Posts
I feel for you, but there is always a chance even new things break because of faults during production. I seriously doubt you need to go over the 6 miles + 45 miles thing again. I think many on this forum would be interested to hear what actually happened when there is a diagnosis…. I promise you no one on this forum has your Voodoo doll, since none of even knew you existed 9 days ago… Good luck with your results, I only wish the best for you.
BTW The chicken came first because an egg does need to come from a Mother and it was fertilized by a Father… lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am upset because the initial diagnosis was a cracked cylinder head and was then changed to a faulty impeller (one or both?). It would seem that overheating could have caused the cracked cylinder head and damaged impeller or the opposite, the cracked cylinder head caused the overheating and damaged impeller. It ran great for the one day without issue. I am also concerned about getting the bike back after there was foam & steam coming out of what appears to be a crankcase “vent” at the base of the rear cylinder, the crankcase components now compromised in addition to any cylinder / ring damage / wear due to the overheat condition. So much for the 500 mile “break-in” prriod. When I moved the bike so it could be picked up and brought back to the dealer, three days later, the “foam” started coming out of the “vent” again, without ever having been started. Seems “obvious” that there is coolant in the crankcase. I will let you know what the final diagnosis & intended repair are to be as soon as I am told.

·
Bronze Member
1,717 Posts
If it were me, I'd be asking for either a new replacement engine or to replace the bike. If coolant washed the oil from the bearing surfaces, numerous engine components may have been damaged. At this point it's unknown. The only way to actually find out would be a complete engine tear down. If Polaris would pay the dealer to do this and give you an extended warranty to help alleviate any uncertainty I might reconsider it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If it were me, I'd be asking for either a new replacement engine or to replace the bike. If coolant washed the oil from the bearing surfaces, numerous engine components may have been damaged. At this point it's unknown. The only way to actually find out would be a complete engine tear down. If Polaris would pay the dealer to do this and give you an extended warranty to help alleviate any uncertainty I might reconsider it.
Who wants a brand new $16,000.00 motorcycle that has had a complete engine tear-down after only 51 miles? Not me. Over two weeks ago I put down $8,000.00 cash for the bike and had use of it for about a day and a half, 45 miles riding, most if it just getting it home from the dealer. If the complete engine is replaced, its value is substantially reduced as far as it being what Polaris / Indian refers to as a “collectable” model, as it no longer has its original engine. Am I picky / OCD? Yes, I am, and I am entitled to be in this matter, all things considered.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As a 100 year anniversary model its not going to be collectable. A 100 year old Indian would be. The dealer can install a brand new engine that the factory will provide and remove and flush the radiator. You will not even know it was done if they have a good mechanic. Don't worry about the matching numbers. Just enjoy riding it once it gets fixed. It sucks that this happened to you. I would be upset too. Its just a motorcycle, not terminal cancer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As a 100 year anniversary model its not going to be collectable. A 100 year old Indian would be. The dealer can install a brand new engine that the factory will provide and remove and flush the radiator. You will not even know it was done if they have a good mechanic. Don't worry about the matching numbers. Just enjoy riding it once it gets fixed. It sucks that this happened to you. I would be upset too. Its just a motorcycle, not terminal cancer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I do realize it’s not “terminal cancer”, which is what killed my father 10 years ago. It does hurt though because the new bike was supposed to be a “band-aid” for the most recent of years of many difficult times. I put down the 8k deposit with money left to me when my mother passed away in January from covid (Her funeral service is finally happening tomorrow). 33 days prior to that, my wife of only 18 months passed away after a heart attack the evening before Thanksgiving (Her funeral service is in two weeks). Those are only the two most recent things that I needed this bike to be a “band-aid” for, and then it turns into this. Anyway, I called Indian / Polaris early today and had to leave a message because “my case representative wasn’t available”. The call was not returned, maybe tomorrow. I do think you are correct about the “collectability” of the bike. I only hope it is resolved with a complete new engine, as you suggested, installed so that I can’t tell that it was ever done. Anything less and I don’t think I’ll trust it for the long trips that I had planned.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I shouldn’t need to be happy or consoled because it’s under warranty because it has a major problem after I just barely got it home from the dealership! Coolant in the oil / crankcase (bearings), wear / damage to the piston rings (and BOTH cylinders) due to excessive heat, coolant, oil contamination, etc., etc.. The break-in period is now out the window. Not to question my dealership’s mechanics’ abilities, but there is also no way to make this repair and have it not look like it was torn down and reassembled. Again, it had six miles on it when it was delivered and has 51 miles on it now. I only rode it 45 miles and had it in my possession for use for only the three days (didn’t even use it the second day) before the holiday weekend (rained anyway…). It was picked up by the dealer on Tuesday after the long weekend. To be clear, I have no reason to believe that any of this is my dealer’s fault. I have only praise for my dealer thus far. There is nothing that can be done to this bike as a repair that would make me feel that I have a brand new bike again!
Demand a brand new replacement bike. Indian Motorcycle should be in agreement, otherwise, start talking legal action. Don't you guys have a lemon law over there for this type of situation.?? Get them to give you a new one dude.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts