Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new 2020 Scout 100th Anniversary last week. Started two days later, ran inside for something, came back to overheating engine, antifreeze everywhere! Only 51 miles on the bike! Temperature gauge said over 240 degrees! Never heard a cooling fan running including riding it home (90 degrees, no leaks or overheating), 65 degrees when it overheated and lost the antifreeze. Dealer picking it up. Thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had a chunk of asphalt bounce up and wedge between the fan blade and shroud once and pop the fuse. Fortunately I caught it before it got that hot

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just that your fan should be running anytime you stop for more than 20" or so. My G/F has a Scout, and anytime we stop I hear that fan kick in, even on cooler days...

·
Registered
To many
13 Posts
When mine was new it had a hose clamp that wasn't tighten up from the factory. That was the last time I trusted Indian.

·
Bronze member
3,224 Posts
Leaving a bike running unattended your lucky someone didn't help themselves to it.
Can't leave your car running in the winter here anymore while your in the store,
It'll be gone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you deactivated rear cylinder deactivation that may be the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told by the dealer that a cracked cylinder head is suspected - 51 miles on it! I AM NOT HAPPY, to say the least.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shouldn’t need to be happy or consoled because it’s under warranty because it has a major problem after I just barely got it home from the dealership! Coolant in the oil / crankcase (bearings), wear / damage to the piston rings (and BOTH cylinders) due to excessive heat, coolant, oil contamination, etc., etc.. The break-in period is now out the window. Not to question my dealership’s mechanics’ abilities, but there is also no way to make this repair and have it not look like it was torn down and reassembled. Again, it had six miles on it when it was delivered and has 51 miles on it now. I only rode it 45 miles and had it in my possession for use for only the three days (didn’t even use it the second day) before the holiday weekend (rained anyway…). It was picked up by the dealer on Tuesday after the long weekend. To be clear, I have no reason to believe that any of this is my dealer’s fault. I have only praise for my dealer thus far. There is nothing that can be done to this bike as a repair that would make me feel that I have a brand new bike again!

·
Registered
220 Posts
since the motor is so roached, maybe they'll just put a new one in...

Reactions: PeacePipe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
since the motor is so roached, maybe they'll just put a new one in...
Nothing short of that, with no sign of it having been done, would make me want this bike back, and then there’s the issue of the original numbers from the production line “matching”, considering this 100th Anniversary Scout is considered and purported to be (by Indian) a “collector’s item”.

·
Silver member
3,672 Posts
Maybe. What came first, the chicken or the egg?
Obviously the egg. The first chicken came out of a chicken egg, which was a mutated descendant of the not-quite-chicken mother.

So it was cracked by the overheated engine which got that way due to radiator hose not properly installed. Or something...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Obviously the egg. The first chicken came out of a chicken egg, which was a mutated descendant of the not-quite-chicken mother.

So it was cracked by the overheated engine which got that way due to radiator hose not properly installed. Or something...
🤷‍♂️👍🏼

·
Silver member
3,672 Posts
And of course the dealer will say it was cracked first, since otherwise they may be culpable in the radiator hose or other problem - they didn't catch it. Etc.

Casting flaw??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts