Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

2020+'s with the 116 from the factory, valve spring breaking....

5628 Views 26 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  virginiaJim
One of our members had this happen to him on a ride a few weeks ago, just wondering if anyone else with the factory 116s have had issues with the valve springs breaking. He had less than 6000 miles on the bike. Wondering if this is a one off...
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Super Moderator / Founding Member
5,061 Posts
Completely new to me, never heard of any valve train issues on the new bikes. Stock cams? Dean

· Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,266 Posts
Anything mechanical can breakdown no matter how reliable the product is. It always sucks when it's you. However, like the mechanic said, it's rare. A friend of mine bought a CVO Road Glide that he had the 117 upgrade installed. We were on a ride in Virginia when his valve spring broke. It ended up he had to have the bike shipped back to the local dealer which is 100 miles away from where it broke down. Worst part is he had to pay to have it shipped back even thought it was Harley parts, on a Harley bike, installed by Harley mechanics. I asked if they replaced the valve springs as part of the upgrade and he said yes.

That is one of the reasons I decided to only do the stage 1 intake and exhaust on my 116 Chief. Even without the performance cams it's a fast bike. I always worry about stressing the engine with performance upgrades.

· Registered
119 Posts
I don't think this is an endemic issue to the newer 116's from the plant. The tech said he's seen this happen before. Just one of those things, I guess for now unless it's starts happening more.
I think that in most all cases with mechanical problems, if something is going to break from faulty manufacturing it’s going to happen right away or close to it.
I do electrical repair at a truck assembly plant.You would be surprised the number of bad parts from vendors. From bad wire crimps and spread terminals. Most all are caught before it leaves the plant.
before that I was a machinist at the Engine plant for the same company.

· Bronze member
2,530 Posts
Could be a one off in the casting process, hopefully nothing more.

· Bronze member
2,530 Posts
Valve springs are wound, not cast.
It would be impossible to cast valve springs.
Correct, but all steel is smelted. It's in this process that contaminants and other substandard manufacturing can still occur.

· Registered
2021 Roadmaster DH
28 Posts
First I have heard of it...have a 21 and have friends with 20 thru 22s as well, no issues to note. Think the comments are spot on - it is rare, hopefully it stays that way. Hope it is fixed quickly and he is back on the road enjoying that bike!

· Bronze member
3,098 Posts
Both my 2016 111'S are running strong - nearly have 6500 miles on the RM.. The Chief - maybe 4k...

My secret ?

I run special oil in them..

· Registered
2022 Springfield 111 Black & Tan
570 Posts
I know this thread is for the oem 116 but I thought I would share some info to maybe be of some help.
I had the valve springs upgraded to a stronger spring, chrome moly push rods and V2 lifters.I also replaced the cam chain,sprokets and adjuster.Had the heads done with a mild blend and SS valves.My engine valve train sounds more like my BMW R18C and it has solid lifters(the 116 is little louder).By comparison it is much busier sounding than my buddy's 111/stg2 cams.His engine is really quiet.
Just my viewpoint here as I see the Indian uses springs in their Vtwin engine that aren't as stiff to keep engine noise down.
Cams also will add to the mix causing more noise to the valve train.I chose the Indian Stg 3 cams for my 116 build.Because it is easier on the valve train.
Lastly,I would have used the Indian upgraded springs but my builder recommended the the heaver ones to help with valve spring float and keeping the valves from slamming shut.
I'm not a racer anymore and would have left my 111 intact except I did the rebuilt at 48,000 miles because of issues with a cam I had installed that folks were having coil bind and valve springs breaking.
Funny,I could have bought a bunch of gasoline for what this little venture cost in time and Money.
The Thunderstroke is a torque monster and the heads are the area where the hp is limited.That being said,Indians run pretty well right outta the box.
It costs quite a bit to add 15 hp/15tq.I will say my gas mileage went up and the bike has more power plus it is smooth.
Lastly,It was a less expensive than buying a new bike, but not much.LOL!

· Registered
2021 Chieftain Dark Horse
5 Posts
Only 4K on my 2021 116 TS no problems, I work in Manufacturing and anything built the last few years with all the 😜 cra cra going on .. I negotiated a few years more Extended Warranty.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts