Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Roadmaster 1 week now. I'm in LOVE. Even though for the 1st 90 miles you're not supposed to go over 1/3 throttle, I can tell it has a TON of power. I keep finding little details on the bike that just make me happy. It has a 200 Watt stereo, so I cranked it up - it goes to 11! Any Spinal Tap fan would see the joy in that. Going over rough pavement and train tracks isn't hardly even noticeable. When my wife let me purchase my "Dream Bike", I told her I wanted to get used to all the weight 1st, before I threw her on the back - After 1 week, she can jump on - the bike is VERY responsive, and I don't see a valid reason why not. I've thrown it into corners already (by myself), and it handles GREAT! Trying to figure out everything on the Ride Command might take a little time - it seems all (or most) of the on-line videos don't apply to the 2020s.

·
Rider
1,128 Posts
When I bought me 2016 Roadmaster, dealer didn't tell me there was a break-in period. Jumped on it and road 5 hours home at 75 mph. Got 60,000 kms of smiles on her now.

Have fun, wife will love it. (mine does)

--
Gordon

·
Bronze member
3,960 Posts
Break in is a little over-rated on todays engines. The biggest issue is heat. One of the motorcycle magazines took two identical bikes brand new and one followed the break in procedure and the other rode it hard like they stole it. They tore both engines down and there was no difference in wear between them.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I felt the same when I took delivery of a new 2019 RM in March. It does take a bit of time to familiarize yourself with all the features, but an enjoyable experience. I sometimes tick off a mental list of all the things I love about this bike. Best of all it rides like a dream.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Definition of Roadmaster; pure pleasure.
Riding this bike is like floating on a magic carpet it has alll the bells and whistles, I call it a hamburger with the lot ha ha ha

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
The only thing to do on your break-in is vary your speed and up and down shift it a lot. I wouldn't worry about the actual throttle. Just don't run it at sustained high speeds. Slow down, speed up, lay off the throttle, speed up again, down shift to 5th, back up to sixth etc.

Reactions: Hairy

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Riding this bike is like floating on a magic carpet it has alll the bells and whistles, I call it a hamburger with the lot ha ha ha
Does the Roadmaster have a different suspension than a Chieftain Limited or is it mainly because of the larger front tire?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've had my Roadmaster 1 week now. I'm in LOVE. Even though for the 1st 90 miles you're not supposed to go over 1/3 throttle, I can tell it has a TON of power. I keep finding little details on the bike that just make me happy. It has a 200 Watt stereo, so I cranked it up - it goes to 11! Any Spinal Tap fan would see the joy in that. Going over rough pavement and train tracks isn't hardly even noticeable. When my wife let me purchase my "Dream Bike", I told her I wanted to get used to all the weight 1st, before I threw her on the back - After 1 week, she can jump on - the bike is VERY responsive, and I don't see a valid reason why not. I've thrown it into corners already (by myself), and it handles GREAT! Trying to figure out everything on the Ride Command might take a little time - it seems all (or most) of the on-line videos don't apply to the 2020s.
You cranking "Big Bottoms" and "Hell Hole" while motoring down the road?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does the Roadmaster have a different suspension than a Chieftain Limited or is it mainly because of the larger front tire?
The only model with different rear suspension is the Chief, single shock 3.7". According to my 2017 manual the Springfield, DH, RM & Chieftain all have the Air adjust shock 4.5"
The wheels and tyres are the same 130/90 - B16

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
The only model with different rear suspension is the Chief, single shock 3.7". According to my 2017 manual the Springfield, DH, RM & Chieftain all have the Air adjust shock 4.5"
That's correct. The Chief Classic and Vintage have manual adjustment on the shocks and 29 degree rake. At least on all of them prior to 2020. In 20 the Vintage gets the same neck backbone as the Springfield. Not sure I like that, but it makes sense from production stand point.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The front wheels are different on the a Chieftain Limited and dark horse models so I was wondering if that was why the a Road Master would have a smoother ride. I definitely don’t feel like Im floating over the bumps on the freeway on my Chieftain Limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Copy that. I've had my brand new 2019 RM for 7 weeks and 2200 miles and nothing but true love. Just had a small heart procedure and when I came out of anesthesia my first words were "how's my Indian" the nurse though I was crazy. I'll spare you the rest of the story but the Indian was my first concern. Has to be true love right?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The front wheels are different on the a Chieftain Limited and dark horse models so I was wondering if that was why the a Road Master would have a smoother ride. I definitely don’t feel like Im floating over the bumps on the freeway on my Chieftain Limited.

what is your tyre pressure? I am around 36 - 38PSI as my tyres heat up to 43 - 45 PSI I live in the tropics and the road is bloody hot. Also what pressure is your rear shocker at? My manual specs show same wheels

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
what is your tyre pressure? I am around 36 - 38PSI as may tyres heat up to 43 - 45 PSI I live in the tropics and the road is bloody hot. Also what pressure is your rear shocker at? My manual specs show same wheels
My bike is 36 psi in the front and 41 psi in the rear. The chieftain Limited uses the low profile front tire which I also think gives a rougher ride because it doesn’t cushion as well. They do it that way for looks but I prefer function over form.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The wider front tyre will definitely make a difference and play around with the rear shocker adjustments. The Chieftain Limited has a beautiful front end and sleek fairing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts